PDA

View Full Version : Fav rain jacket?

abh5e8
03-09-2019, 01:39 PM
So I passed my rain jacket down to dd who just turned 12... how does that happen?? It was a kids XL that I bought on clearance and was never a great fit. So now i need a rain jacket, for running errands and light hiking and kids outside sports. I'm thinking of patagonia or marmot, but I'm open to other brands. probably a women's s or xs. I want something light but actually waterproof. Anyone have a favorite?

sariana
03-09-2019, 01:51 PM
The one I got at Costco is super lightweight. I got it in gray a couple of years ago, but I saw it again this year in black. I think it's $19.99.

georgiegirl
03-09-2019, 02:28 PM
The one I got at Costco is super lightweight. I got it in gray a couple of years ago, but I saw it again this year in black. I think it's $19.99.

We have one of those and it’s okay. Not as good as my north face rain shell though. (We tested them out in Ketchikan Alaska last summer. DD wore the Costco one and I wore the Northface one, and I stayed drier.)

All the big brands have shells and then jackets that have a slightly thicker lining that the shells. I ended up with the northface shell because it was cheaper than the Patagonia and marmot ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sariana
03-09-2019, 02:45 PM
I also have a North Face shell that was a gift. No liner, just a shell. It is not as lightweight as the Costco one (brand is 32 Degrees Cool, but with the degree symbol not the word), but more than that, it gets too hot. It is almost TOO waterproof--from the inside out. It traps my sweat (sorry) and then makes me cold because I'm sweaty.

It really depends on the conditions for which it's needed. I wore the 32 Degree one to lots of DD's softball games, and it was perfect. But I've worn it in a true rain only once. It was fine. I didn't have the NF one yet at that time.

georgiegirl
03-09-2019, 03:05 PM
It is almost TOO waterproof--from the inside out. It traps my sweat (sorry) and then makes me cold because I'm sweaty..

The Northface one should have pit zippers to let you breathe. We walked around Ketchikan when it was pouring and I stayed drier than DD. She was the exact one you are talking about. I think it’s good for drizzle or light rain but not a downpour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
03-09-2019, 03:12 PM
I have a slight addiction to rain jackets. I have lots of trench coats, a fleece lined shell from Costco (Kirkland brand- I love that thing!), a North Face rain jacket (with venting zippers)... I pick the one that matches my outfit and temp outside.
Eta- forgot that my MIL bought me a cute jacket for Christmas. I haven’t had a chance to wear it yet. It’s the Coach coat from American Giant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MKeila
03-10-2019, 07:31 AM
I also love Costco, you are not paying for the brand, but for your comfort

Twin Mom
03-11-2019, 10:10 PM
I bought the Costco raincoat last year. I think it was $29.99 so it may not be the same as what someone else posted. It has a hood too. I just wear it to work or out on errands so it hasn’t been really tested but if you don’t like it you can always return it!

citymama
03-12-2019, 01:37 PM
Patagonia torrentshell!