PDA

View Full Version : HS grad gift?

Twoboos
06-03-2019, 10:44 AM
We are going to a HS graduation party for a friend's daughter this weekend. We don't really "know" her but know the parents. Any advice for an appropriate gift? Just money, if so how much?

Also, others in the same friend group have kids who graduated this year, the parents will be at the party too. Do we give a gift to their kids - I don't think they are having a party but should we be "fair"? (wow I'm scarred by my kids that I'm even thinking this, lol.)

TwinFoxes
06-03-2019, 10:49 AM
Random kid I don't know? Eh, $40-50 probably. I wouldn't give money to other kids who just happened to be there, Mommy Warbucks. ;) Stop the madness!

Ms B
06-03-2019, 01:05 PM
My standard HS grad gift is an LL Bean Adventure duffel. Size and monogramming depends upon how close we are with the kid's family (e.g. BFF's son just got a monogrammed large duffel, but a law partner's kid that I do not know would get a dopp kit sized one). Free shipping in most cases!

And no need to buy for the other kids!

SnuggleBuggles
06-03-2019, 01:26 PM
We gave $25 to all the random friends last year. I'd probably give more if it was a close family friend. Just a card with some cash is appropriate. I didn't see any physical gifts at any parties we went to last year. :)

StantonHyde
06-03-2019, 05:24 PM
For my niece, I gave her a sweatshirt from the college she will attend plus a $50 gift card. Hairdressers daughter--have known her for a long time--$50 gift card.

Twoboos
06-04-2019, 01:11 PM
I wouldn't give money to other kids who just happened to be there, Mommy Warbucks. ;) Stop the madness!

This made me LOL. :ROTFLMAO:

citymama
06-05-2019, 02:11 PM
For my niece, I gave her a sweatshirt from the college she will attend plus a $50 gift card. Hairdressers daughter--have known her for a long time--$50 gift card.

I'm not sure what to give my niece. $100 gift card? I like the idea of the duffel but she's kinda chic and would probably reject LLB.

gamma
06-05-2019, 02:29 PM
My go to gift has always been an ID wallet/lanyard from the college they will be attending with a gift card to the book store inside. But, do kids use these any longer? Is it all on an app on their phone? Meals, opening room door, book store, laundry? Just wondering if that is all outdated? I guess I should find out since my DGD graduates from HS this month.

gymnbomb
06-05-2019, 03:44 PM
My go to gift has always been an ID wallet/lanyard from the college they will be attending with a gift card to the book store inside. But, do kids use these any longer? Is it all on an app on their phone? Meals, opening room door, book store, laundry? Just wondering if that is all outdated? I guess I should find out since my DGD graduates from HS this month.

At the university I teach at, it is really common for the students to have a very small card holder that sticks to the back of their phones and holds their ID and 1 or 2 other cards or a little cash. I think the university gives them out at orientation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melbel
06-05-2019, 05:10 PM
We are in the thick of graduations now for my older kids. For random person (i.e. kids attend a graduation party without us), we give $25-$30 in cash or Target/amazon gift card. For a closer graduate we would give $50 to $100, again cash or GC. My son was able to use his gifts throughout his freshman year as needed.