PDA

View Full Version : Summer routine??

niccig
06-10-2019, 07:13 PM
Today was my last day at work and DS’ last day is tomorrow. I need to get us both into a routine otherwise the summer is over and we’ve done nothing. We’re both homebodies.Ds would sleep all day and be on computer every other minute. I can procrastinate in my pjs for most of the day too. I will have down time, but I do need to get things done around house.

I figure I can be up when DH goes to work and exercise, shower so I’m up and ready to go for the day. What’s a reasonable time for teenager to sleep in but then needs to be up for the day ?

I think we also need to get outside and do things. I’m open to suggestions. DH thinks we should go on hikes to get out in nature but it gets so hot and DS still has physical limitations. We don’t have local swimming pool where families hang out over the summer. There’s the country club pool, but it’s $2000 for the summer, which is just too expensive. Ds does aquatic therapy at local aquatic center, but there’s no rec swim team due to lessons/swim team etc

Anything to get us out and about?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

doberbrat
06-10-2019, 07:30 PM
Is a Y membership an option? Swimming at a local hotel? I think 10am is a reasonable time for a teen. I also set limits for mealtimes. - Breakfast before tv. lunch must be eaten by 2pm. No snacks after 4.

I also insist on violin practice 15min per day, reading, and 15 min of math. Last year I also had dd2 work on keyboarding and cursive skills.
I figure they can do 1 -1.5 hr of work a day. If they dont, then no electricity time the next day.

We do alot of movies from the library and plenty of extra tv time as well. We bike many more places, library, pool, grocery. Swim at the town or Y pools and do some hiking if my knee is up to it.

Honestly, I'm dreading it. This is the earliest we've ever gotten out and I'm not sure we'll be able to go away for August like we usually do. Plus we're having a financial crisis and have no $$ to do anything :(

bisous
06-10-2019, 07:39 PM
Hit the free days at museums and parks? If there are some that you like a membership for the summer Is cheaper than $2000! A membership to hurricane harbor? I could ride in the lazy river all summer long! We have theatres that do cheap summer movies. It’s not exactly “active” but gets you out of the house. Go library hopping? Have one set day a week to entertain friends and reciprocate?

hbridge
06-10-2019, 07:45 PM
I let my tween sleep until 9am when there is nothing on the agenda. Then I go up and check in... DC is usually awake.

Is he doing any camps? For years we would do at least two weeks of day camp. DC loved it and it gave me a break.

Otherwise, definitely have a schedule. We have year round school now so there is no "long summer break", but I do have a list of things we want to do this summer and we usually have a "plan of the day" and/or a "plan of the week" so that everyone knows what we are doing.

We often head to the local pool and/or lake, bike to ice cream or lunch, hike around town, or even head out and become tourists at one of the many local attractions. This past weekend we hit a small museum and I was so excited to realize that DC is finally old enough to appreciate art. We are headed to the city art museum soon :)!

Just have fun and be together!

bisous
06-10-2019, 07:59 PM
Nicci, I also think it’s helpful to have “leave the house by” time in the morning. I had to do that when my littles were really little! 10:00 or 11:00 worked well for us. We could sleep in and have a leisurely morning but still be out before noon which feels good mentally.

BTW, if you’re interested I can send you the info on free museum/garden days in your area if you want!

PZMommy
06-10-2019, 08:36 PM
We are in the same situation. DH usually teaches summer school, but has opted to take the summer off, so all four of us are off for the next ten weeks. I plan to let me kids relax this week. However starting next week, they will have an hour of school work prior to getting any devices. They will do 30 minutes of reading, and then my youngest brought home a lot of undone math workbooks that he will work on, and I have plenty of math resources for my oldest since I have taught the grades he has finished and is going into. He claims I'm ruining his summer, but I don't think an hour is too much to ask! lol We are planning for at least one outing a week to a museum. We also are going to go to one of the local pools one day a week. We are still paying back from our strike earlier this year, so we don't have much "play" money to do activities, so we are trying to find cheap and free activities to do. We are planning a small trip in August since that will be our first full paycheck since February.

marinkitty
06-10-2019, 08:53 PM
9 am is my breakfast time for the kids if they don't have to be up at any special time. This is mainly because I have one with an eating disorder and staying on a regular meal time and sleep routine is key to keeping things going well.

I make them earn screen time (anything over an hour during the week or two hours on weekends) by doing one or more of the following: (1) reading a book in a room without screens, (2) getting outside and doing something (I'm pretty flexible with what this is since I mostly just care that they are outside getting fresh air, but usually they go for a bike ride, practice a sport or go for a run - but really anything outdoors and off a screen counts; we also go to the beach a fair amount as its only two blocks from home), (3) working out (they each have a couple of indoor exercise options - sport specific training, spin class, yoga, weight room or cardio room drop in) or (4) helping out by doing a chore. They can also earn time for volunteering. I find that works fairly well as long as I'm able to provide a bunch of options. Then, if they want screen time (which they all do) - they at least get a variety of activity each day beyond what's on the schedule.

The older two have some summer work to do but that typically doesn't happen until August because it needs to be fresh in their minds.

We also do outings if we have a free day (or part of a day). Go into the city and do something; explore a new park or nature trail; go kayaking or paddle boarding on the lake. Last summer I tried to do one day trip a week. This year that will be harder because we have more travel and more schedule constraints, but I'm hoping we can fit a few in.

We are also getting out of town a fair amount (those that can - we only have one full week where we can all leave together as a family this summer). I've found that little two or three night breaks with some portion of us really helps keep things feeling fresh.

niccig
06-10-2019, 10:54 PM
I like 9am as a wake up time, DS needs to keep regular sleep schedule. I was thinking of having DS earn his screen time by having to do certain things. Planning an outing each week is great idea. These are all great suggestions. I’ll add them to the list.

DS usually does sporting camps but we didn’t book anything as we weren’t sure what he would physically be able to do. He was going to be a counselor in training at a camp he went to for years, but he didn’t apply again because we didn’t know what he could do. He’s been holding steady the last month, no pain flares, so he could get out and do some physical activity, it just needs to be low intensity- no soccer camp or chasing after 8 year olds at camp.

The Y pool is like the aquatic center, most times are for lessons and there’s an hour of rec swim where the pool is packed, and DS wouldn’t know any of the kids as it’s not close to our house. I so wish we had community pools like family go to in Michigan, there’s always someone they know there and they go each day for a few hours.

niccig
06-10-2019, 11:00 PM
Nicci, I also think it’s helpful to have “leave the house by” time in the morning. I had to do that when my littles were really little! 10:00 or 11:00 worked well for us. We could sleep in and have a leisurely morning but still be out before noon which feels good mentally.

BTW, if you’re interested I can send you the info on free museum/garden days in your area if you want!

Yes please! Like PZmommy we’re still recovering from our strike days so free is great!

PZMommy
06-10-2019, 11:06 PM
I like 9am as a wake up time, DS needs to keep regular sleep schedule. I was thinking of having DS earn his screen time by having to do certain things. Planning an outing each week is great idea. These are all great suggestions. I’ll add them to the list.

DS usually does sporting camps but we didn’t book anything as we weren’t sure what he would physically be able to do. He was going to be a counselor in training at a camp he went to for years, but he didn’t apply again because we didn’t know what he could do. He’s been holding steady the last month, no pain flares, so he could get out and do some physical activity, it just needs to be low intensity- no soccer camp or chasing after 8 year olds at camp.

The Y pool is like the aquatic center, most times are for lessons and there’s an hour of rec swim where the pool is packed, and DS wouldn’t know any of the kids as it’s not close to our house. I so wish we had community pools like family go to in Michigan, there’s always someone they know there and they go each day for a few hours.

I think we may live in the same general area??? We go to the pools at our local parks and rec. They are open most afternoons and it is super cheap!! I want to say under 18 is free and it is just a few dollars for adults.

niccig
06-11-2019, 12:48 AM
I think we may live in the same general area??? We go to the pools at our local parks and rec. They are open most afternoons and it is super cheap!! I want to say under 18 is free and it is just a few dollars for adults.

Our city only has pools at 2 of the high schools. We’ve gone in past and it’s packed with only a couple hours rec swim due to swim lessons

niccig
06-11-2019, 02:30 AM
So out of all the classes at our city library, DS is interested in ONE, in a month!! So that day is scheduled! The city next over has a tech lab they want teen volunteers to help out for 2-4 hours/week. I’ll see if he can do that, as his school elective was tech support for the teachers.

He’s wanted to volunteer with animals, but he’s too young for our local humane society or rescues. A friend told me about a local organization that lists volunteer opportunities. They have a weekly meeting at their office where you volunteer for 2 hours to help on service projects for different organizations, so we’ll do that together to help out. It’s a couple blocks from DH’s work, so we can stop in and see DH.

DS does have 3-4 therapy appointments a week. Between those, some volunteer time, occasional class, and an outing to museum etc, we’ll have a few things scheduled each week. I’ve also told him to make plans with friends and I’ll be the Uber. At home, DS wants to learn how to edit, and DH has agreed to teach him. I’ve also got a list of projects to do and DS will help. I just don’t want all his time to be on the computer.

essnce629
06-12-2019, 12:08 PM
Does anyone let their kids just be kids anymore? Forcing teens to wake up by 9 or 10am every day during the summer, forcing an hour of schoolwork a day, etc just seems sad. I remember being a teen/kid and summers were so lazy and relaxed. No set times to get up (I'd easily sleep till 1pm every day), no school work for 2.5 months, being bored, etc. It was my favorite time of the year! I can see waking up early if there's somewhere you have to go, but I let my 15 year old sleep when there's no plans (not disturbing him till noon or later).

My 15 year old is being a CIT for 3 weeks at the computer camp he attended for several years as a camper so those days he'll be up early (has to be there at 8:30am). Then at the end of the summer we'll be traveling for 2 weeks. Other than that he has zero plans except to attend Anime Expo! He does have an appointment to get his driver's permit so we'll probably start on driving. His hobby right now is rock climbing so he'll probably continue climbing at the climbing gym several times a week and will go back to blacksmithing now that Japanese school is out for the summer.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

mom2binsd
06-12-2019, 12:51 PM
Our city only has pools at 2 of the high schools. We’ve gone in past and it’s packed with only a couple hours rec swim due to swim lessons

I think it's crazy that you live where you can swim outdoors for most of the year and there are no public pools really available, I live in small midwest city of 120K people and we have 5 public pool options, with a season pass for 45.00 per person.

I also think you guys should plan some fun day outings, get up early and explore some towns you don't get to all the time (Hermosa Beach?Huntington Beach?go check out some other different places maybe once a week).

PunkyBoo
06-12-2019, 12:53 PM
We're taking this approach for DS1 by necessity as both DH and I work full time. So DS1 gets up when he wakes up, makes himself breakfast, etc. He has a volunteer job to do some of the required service hours but that's not daily, and he has to get himself there and back on his bike. He'll have some camps/clinics required for his high school activities/teams this summer, and if they start before 8:30 then DH we'll help him get up, breakfast and drive him, and if it ends after I get off work I can pick him up. I asked him the other day if he's bored and he said yes but it feels good to be able to relax and let his mind wander.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

PunkyBoo
06-12-2019, 12:55 PM
I can't get my previous post to edit, but ight was supposed to quote/refer to essence's post above.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mom2binsd
06-12-2019, 12:58 PM
I also agree with essence. My kids are busy, but DS is 13 I let him sleep in till he wakes up some days, often 11 am. staying up late and sleeping in has never been an issue.Yesterday I got him up at 10 so he could mow the lawn and be ready when his grandparents came at noon to take him back to their place (he likes to go there and hang out with grandpa in the workshop).

We don't do homework over the summer, used to buy the notebooks from school and hardly did them. My kids do very well in school and none of their friends do any school work over the summer. They do read, but I don't force it.

They are active kids, they are outside a lot, spend most of their days playing with neighborhood friends and check in occasionally. DS has house league baseball 3 x week (no weekends), they swim at public pools or at friends pools. They bike, fish, play basketball, again, it's self driven, I don't plan their days, I work so I don't have much time to drive them places.

DD is 16 and has a job in a law office part time this summer.

KpbS
06-13-2019, 12:43 AM
My eldest is also entering high school in the fall. His closest friend for the last 3 years is moving away so it is a goal of mine for him to connect with some other guys on a somewhat regular basis to build some friendships before the craziness of school starts back up again. So we are taking the initiative and trying to plan at least 2 times to connect on the weeks without camp/vacation. We've gone to get burgers, go swimming, play video games (of course), and will go and get frozen yogurt. There are cheap movies and some classes at the Apple Store to check out. In our area the libraries have special teen hangout/activity times to choose from. My DS too has 4/5 weekly appts so that makes planning a bit of a challenge sometimes, but we will get it done! :)

SnuggleBuggles
06-13-2019, 09:22 AM
We would be lost without structured- PAID!- activities. Our internal motivation to sit at home and do nothing is high BUT we are all 100% happier if we get out and do things!

I wish ds1 had taken my advice between 8th-9th grade and joined marching band. It would have been a great way to meet people and lend structure to summer. He joined the next summer and told me he wish he'd done it the year before. :) So, school activities is a great way to stay busy!

I also have my kids do swim team. Some years ds1 does long course training with 3 hour daily practices, some years he just does the neighborhood team. He is happier when he does the 3 hour one.

This summer he is doing band, swim team (the less intense one), traveling, lifeguarding, touring colleges and going to the gym.

Even with activities he still has plenty of downtime.

niccig
06-13-2019, 02:29 PM
We would be lost without structured- PAID!- activities. Our internal motivation to sit at home and do nothing is high BUT we are all 100% happier if we get out and do things!

This is us too. We need some structure.

Plus, DS’s medical team wants him to have a consistent sleeping routine and activities that get him out of the house. They’ve advised against him being home everyday, sleeping most of the day, and on the computer for several hours with only interactions with DH and I. That would be DS’s default. He will have plenty of time where he chooses what he does, but he needs to be engaged in a variety of activities during the week.

niccig
06-13-2019, 02:31 PM
My eldest is also entering high school in the fall. His closest friend for the last 3 years is moving away so it is a goal of mine for him to connect with some other guys on a somewhat regular basis to build some friendships before the craziness of school starts back up again. So we are taking the initiative and trying to plan at least 2 times to connect on the weeks without camp/vacation. We've gone to get burgers, go swimming, play video games (of course), and will go and get frozen yogurt. There are cheap movies and some classes at the Apple Store to check out. In our area the libraries have special teen hangout/activity times to choose from. My DS too has 4/5 weekly appts so that makes planning a bit of a challenge sometimes, but we will get it done! :)

That’s a great idea. I’ll have DS initiate to get out with friends.

doberbrat
06-13-2019, 06:28 PM

I totally agree that downtime is essential during the summer. However, I disagree that 1 hr of work per day is somehow detracting from their summer. I know that my kids will agree with essence.... when they complained last year, I pointed out that I demand about an hour from them per day leaving them with 23h of 'free time' a day. If I dont have dd1 get up at a semi reasonable hr, it screws up meal times and she ends up being starving at 4pm, eating junk and then refusing to eat anything healthy for dinner.

If it works for someone else' family, awesome! But this is what works for us.

niccig
06-13-2019, 08:12 PM
I totally agree that downtime is essential during the summer. However, I disagree that 1 hr of work per day is somehow detracting from their summer. I know that my kids will agree with essence.... when they complained last year, I pointed out that I demand about an hour from them per day leaving them with 23h of 'free time' a day. If I dont have dd1 get up at a semi reasonable hr, it screws up meal times and she ends up being starving at 4pm, eating junk and then refusing to eat anything healthy for dinner.

If it works for someone else' family, awesome! But this is what works for us.

I agree with this. Ds was protesting 1 hr of math tutoring after 7 hours of doing whatever he wanted. 1 hour is not a hardship, and he had agreed earlier in week to the schedule. I spent my summers working on the family farm, so complaints about 1 hour of work don’t go anywhere, particularly when DS had power of choosing when he does the work. He also must help around the house. I am not raising him to expect someone else to pick up after him. This summer is going to be summer of life skills - cooking, cleaning etc

lizzywednesday
06-14-2019, 10:11 AM
Check what else your library system might offer - mine offers museum passes (for free!) to a lot of great places in NYC and Philly, as well as a few places here in NJ, so I've reserved one to take DD to the Museum of the American Revolution the week after school lets out. (We will miss the museum's freebie day during Wawa Welcome America because she'll be at daycamp.)

Our system also has a Teen & Adult summer reading program; it's not as splashy as the one for the elementary schoolers, but it's there. Many branches have "take home crafts" where you pick up a baggie with instructions & supplies to make something; these change monthly and run all year.

There are a lot of great (FREE!) programs in the afternoons & evenings that might also appeal to teens - one of the ones I think is coolest is a "life-size CandyLand" game at the headquarters branch. We have yet to do this, but depending on the date for this year's presentation, this may be the year!

There are also free programs & workshops at Apple Store and Microsoft Store locations - check the stores' websites for specific programs, age ranges, and other details. (The ones near me run programs frequently enough to consider using them with my Girl Scouts to earn their "Think Like a Programmer" leadership journey.)

Do you have a Maker Space or other "lab" community where your DS could get together with other kids interested in tech and build things? I don't think we do (yet) but I am still learning.