PDA

View Full Version : Lunch when hiking

niccig
06-18-2019, 07:07 PM
I need to prepare lunch for the 3 of us when hiking. I’ll have food in cooler at the camp site, but one day we’ll pack lunch and eat as a picnic on the hike. I worry about keeping food like ham cold. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

sariana
06-18-2019, 07:09 PM
I need to prepare lunch for the 3 of us when hiking. I’ll have food in cooler at the camp site, but one day we’ll pack lunch and eat as a picnic on the hike. I worry about keeping food like ham cold. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

I don't worry about processed lunch meat. It can handle a day (really half a day) in a lunch, especially if you pack it next to a cold drink (or similar). We usually take turkey sandwiches or peanut butter and jelly. In order for the sun to be hot enough to make the meat go bad through a backpack and lunch bag, the sun would be too hot for you to be hiking anyway.

bisous
06-18-2019, 07:30 PM
I don't worry about processed lunch meat. It can handle a day (really half a day) in a lunch, especially if you pack it next to a cold drink (or similar). We usually take turkey sandwiches or peanut butter and jelly. In order for the sun to be hot enough to make the meat go bad through a backpack and lunch bag, the sun would be too hot for you to be hiking anyway.

Same! If it just needs to be cold to lunch I feel like it should be ok. Dinner wouldn’t work but lunch I would be ok with. And I tend to just eat a slightly earlier lunch too with a big snack later.

ett
06-18-2019, 07:33 PM
Yup, sandwiches with deli meat is standard lunch when the boys go hiking with their boy scout troops.

doberbrat
06-18-2019, 10:24 PM
we do alot of nutella sandwiches when hiking. or that super processed laughing cow cheese which doesnt need to be kept cold. We pair it with fruit or applesauce, chips or crackers and sometimes a small desert.

frozen juice boxes will keep sandwiches cold as well. a neoprene bag helps keep things cold w/o being as heavy as a regular lunchbox.

StantonHyde
06-18-2019, 10:56 PM
You'll be fine for less than a day. Heck, I eat Kraft cheddar cheese that has been a backpack for DAYS and it's still good. Make sure you buy stuff with plenty of preservatives. Mozzarella cheese sticks are great. pb&j is always a favorite.

JustMe
06-19-2019, 12:17 AM
If there are no nut allergies some kind of nut butter sandwich and fruit is what we do.

Momit
06-20-2019, 10:36 PM
We got these Star Kist tuna lunch packs for a recent hiking trip. They come with a little tray and a spoon plus tuna, mayo and relish packets, and crackers.