PDA

View Full Version : Swimming and long, curly hair!

bisous
06-20-2019, 09:35 PM
How do I keep DDs hair from getting super tangly and dried out! Is there a certain hairstyle that works better than others? I just swim with mine down and it’s fine. DD has naturally curly hair and it gets really, really snarly. I think a pony tail also gets it snarly around the base. What works for you?

doberbrat
06-20-2019, 09:38 PM
braid it.

get it wet with plain water, untangle it and apply conditioner or coconut oil. Then put in an elastic like for a ponytail and braid it w/a 2nd elastic at the bottom. A cap helps alot too if you can get her to wear it.

ellies mom
06-20-2019, 09:41 PM
Definitely a braid. My youngest will put her hair in a bun sometimes too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

georgiegirl
06-20-2019, 10:43 PM
Swim cap? Ds2 has curly hair and he prefers to wear a swim cap otherwise it’s long and in his face.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bisous
06-20-2019, 11:56 PM
braid it.

get it wet, untangle it and apply conditioner or coconut oil. Then put in an elastic like for a ponytail and braid it w/a 2nd elastic at the bottom. A cap helps alot too if you can get her to wear it.

So... wet and condition prior to swimming and then braid. Yeah, that sounds like it would reduce tangles and probably keep it healthier too! Her curly hair is so susceptible to drying out!

bisous
06-20-2019, 11:57 PM
Definitely a braid. My youngest will put her hair in a bun sometimes too.

I thought about a bun too! She’s not a great swimmer so it might actually stay almost dry in a bun. Maybe when we have less time that could be an option.

bisous
06-20-2019, 11:58 PM
Swim cap? Ds2 has curly hair and he prefers to wear a swim cap otherwise it’s long and in his face.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m a swim cap girl—leftover from being on swim team. I don’t know if that would work for DD though. I can see the cap getting stuck/ DD not being very cooperative...

teresah00
06-21-2019, 01:37 AM
Agree w the braid. You can try a Lycra cap if you just want something to keep her hair out of her face. It won’t pull her hair like silicone or latex.

BunnyBee
06-21-2019, 11:43 AM
Wet it with non-chlorinated water, not pool water. ��

There’s a new pre-swim leave in from Shea Moisture that goes on dry hair. I haven’t tried it yet.

The clear, stretchy coil hair holders are more gentle on curls than regular elastics. They hold mine in a messy bun pretty well. They have tiny ones now that should work on braids.

Wash it with a gentle low-poo as soon as you can after swimming.

doberbrat
06-21-2019, 11:51 AM
So... wet and condition prior to swimming and then braid. Yeah, that sounds like it would reduce tangles and probably keep it healthier too! Her curly hair is so susceptible to drying out!

Its important to wet it with plain not pool water first. Helps the hair soak up less chlorine that way.

Until last Sept, I had nearly waist long THICK CURLY hair. This is how I managed it with nearly daily swimming. I would also put it up in a bun since my hair was long enough but a bun doesnt work for me if I'm actually swimming. Only if I'm just goofing off in the water type thing.

I cut 15in off so this summer, I'll be rocking a ponytail

TwinFoxes
06-22-2019, 12:28 PM
There’s a new pre-swim leave in from Shea Moisture that goes on dry hair. I haven’t tried it yet.

Wait, whaaaaat? Okay, Target run!

BunnyBee
06-22-2019, 06:59 PM
Wait, whaaaaat? Okay, Target run!

I haven’t seen it at Target. I googled and only saw it at Walmart, which is why I haven’t picked any up yet. I hope Target gets it!

TwinFoxes
06-23-2019, 10:30 AM
I haven’t seen it at Target. I googled and only saw it at Walmart, which is why I haven’t picked any up yet. I hope Target gets it!

Ah, good to know, thanks. it really does sound like something that will be good for my DDs' hair, so I may have to brave the wilds of Walmart to get it! :)

bisous
06-23-2019, 12:22 PM
So the braid didn’t work. I’m sure I did it wrong. It was wet in the morning (bath) so I just gooped it up and braided it. It was still wet when we got in the pool a few hours later so i thought we were good. Then she got out and it was almost dry, then back in the pool, then nearly dry and by this time we were home and it was a mess!! The braid managed to get tangled and bunched on itself so that there were snarls in the area that stayed braided but the worst part was where I used an elastic to start the braid.

I think it was the continual wetting and drying that did her hair in. It was working against the restraint of the braid maybe? Also, I think maybe a French braid would work better. Too bad I’m horrible at those! And I can’t figure out if the braid was too tight or too loose and that was the issue. Maybe I need to unbraid it immediately after getting out of the water? I can’t help but compare her hair to my boys who basically do nothing whatever after swimming and it’s fine (their hair is both SHORT and straight)

Anyway, feel free to offer any tips! We’re swimming at least once daily for the next 2 weeks as we’re catsitting for my SIL and she has encouraged us to use her pool (and we need the swim time!)

doberbrat
06-23-2019, 03:26 PM
I'd try again w/a an elastic like you're going to do a ponytail and then braiding w/an elastic at the bottom.

The girls & I swim and dry off and swim again and its not too bad. A french braid might be better, but I dont do those either! Make sure you're using good nylon elastics not the plastic things or fuzzy scruntchies. Depending on her hair, you might even do a ponytail at the crown and lead that down to another pony at the base of her skull then a braid. Or, you could even do a bunch of ponytails all the way down w/o the braiding. kinda like this https://i.pinimg.com/originals/22/e9/ef/22e9efb409ae030a4178e759eba1cc99.jpg

also make sure you're combing out before you braid it if you're doing it straight out of the shower.

JamiMac
06-23-2019, 11:12 PM
I would totally French braid it. If you have to, do two braids. Do it when it’s slightly damp. They get easier the more you do them.

Ms B
06-24-2019, 06:35 PM
I swim with my longer (below the collarbone) curly hair up in a bun. I only use the Goody elastics; I gather my hair and twirl it into the bun for swimming. As soon as I get out of the water, I rinse in clean water and work Ouidad Moisture Lock Leave-In Conditioner through my hair. If I want to minimize frizzies, I finish with Tres Semme Mousse or DevaCurl gel.

If I was swimming regularly, I absolutely would wear a cap. It can take years to grow out curls, so preventing dryness and breakage is key.