PDA

View Full Version : Which team to try out for?

ourbabygirl
06-21-2019, 07:19 PM
We moved last year, but since we don't live too far from our old house and schools, we're open-enrolling our kids in the previous school district so they can be with their friends (and I want to sub in the new school district to see how I like it before switching them over, if we do). DS just finished 2nd grade, and is wrapping up a spring soccer season with that school district.

Evaluations (try-outs) are coming up in late July for the fall soccer season, and I'm wondering if we should have him try out with the new school district's soccer program. It's a much bigger district, so they also have more kids playing soccer, and more teams of varying levels. I believe that the practices will be closer to our house (we currently drive 20 minutes for practice), but I'm not sure if it's a dumb idea to have him start in a new program where he doesn't go to school with those kids.

I'll see if I can find out more about a cost difference, and if the games are further away in one program or the other.

If it's basically a wash, though, what would you do?

Thanks for your advice! :)

123LuckyMom
06-21-2019, 09:41 PM
I think unless you know that he’s going to switch to the new district or unless the program is significantly better in the new district I’d keep him with his friends and the kids he’s actually in school with. Of course if you did know he was going to switch to the new school, playing with those kids before switching would be a great idea! Since you don’t know that, though, you’d just be taking him away from his current group for no real reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

SnuggleBuggles
06-21-2019, 09:53 PM
New one. I don’t understand why all your friends have to be from one pool. We have soccer friends, dance friends, swim friends and school friends. Broadening ones social group is always a good thing. Also, I don’t really get the whole open enrollment thing and keeping their friends farther away. It’s so nice to have friends, school, practices...close. Kids are adaptable and can make new friends. Pick the league in your area and start branching out. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuca_
06-21-2019, 10:00 PM
New one. I don’t understand why all your friends have to be from one pool. We have soccer friends, dance friends, swim friends and school friends. Broadening ones social group is always a good thing. Also, I don’t really get the whole open enrollment thing and keeping their friends farther away. It’s so nice to have friends, school, practices...close. Kids are adaptable and can make new friends. Pick the league in your area and start branching out. :)

I totally agree with this. I think it is good for kids to have a wide circle of friends. I also think it is good for kids to be comfortable entering new situations where they have to make new connections and forge new friendships. It is such a valuable skill as kids get older. I would go for the new program.

KpbS
06-21-2019, 11:33 PM

I agree. Closer practices, new friends in the area... those are great reasons to me.

westwoodmom04
06-21-2019, 11:49 PM
I totally agree with this. I think it is good for kids to have a wide circle of friends. I also think it is good for kids to be comfortable entering new situations where they have to make new connections and forge new friendships. It is such a valuable skill as kids get older. I would go for the new program.

Also agree, especially when kids get older, nice for them to be able to take breaks from school friends with team friends.

niccig
06-22-2019, 12:12 AM
I agree. Closer practices, new friends in the area... those are great reasons to me.

And if you do swap them to the new district, he’ll know some other kids. We moved DS to our local school after private for a few years, and he knew 2 kids in his class from soccer and baseball.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

DualvansMommy
06-22-2019, 08:40 AM
New district soccer team, for sure! It’ll be good for him to meet and get connections before 3rd grade through the summer with soccer.

Also echo other pp comments in keeping everything close as much possible! You’ll thank us eventually when you’ve got more balls to juggle over time. My DS1 soccer fields is literally only 5-10 mins from us, and it’s so nice! Cuz he can go to instant pickup soccer or just hang out at the same nearby park with different kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

smilequeen
06-22-2019, 06:04 PM
I’d go with the new one too. I see no need to play sports with kids from school. It’s great to have other friends too and it sounds like it will be more convenient.

KrisM
06-22-2019, 07:38 PM
I vote for the new area too. Much easier to be closer to home!

Globetrotter
06-22-2019, 11:29 PM
I would do the new area so they can make local friends.