PDA

View Full Version : Best basic fitness tracker?

ang79
06-26-2019, 06:27 PM
I used to have a Fitbit Flex and wore it until it died. I liked that I could compete with others, though I didn't have many friends on my list to compete with.

DH is now getting into running and uses an app on his phone to track steps, but I'm not sure how accurate it is, so thought it might be helpful for him to have something more reliable, and if I got one also, we could compete/compare (maybe that would motivate me to work out more.....). DD1 (almost 13) also loves to run. MIL got her a cheapo fitness watch last year for her birthday but a. it was not accurate and b. it stopped charging correctly.

We don't need fancy extras, just something to keep track of steps/miles. I'd like one with that tells time (DD would too). I'm sure more things have come on the market since I had my Fitbit Flex years ago. What do you guys like? Thinking maybe I should watch for Prime Day deals in a few weeks.

ray7694
06-26-2019, 06:41 PM
I just use my Apple Watch and my fitness pal app

ang79
06-26-2019, 06:58 PM
We don’t want the Apple Watch, that’s out of my price range!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgenie
06-26-2019, 07:00 PM
I have an older Fitbit flex. It doesn’t have a heart rate monitor but it works perfectly for keeping track of my steps.

ahisma
06-26-2019, 08:09 PM
We got DS1 a Garmin Vivofit 4 and have been very happy. I particularly love that the battery lasts for a year. Not having to charge it is very helpful. He wears it 24/7 and it's still like new.

mmsmom
06-27-2019, 09:46 AM
If you Google there are some great comparison charts. Also wirecutter has some recommendations. When I researched last year we ended up with a Garmin Vivosport for DS because he needed waterproof and one that would track biking and swimming.

pakin
06-27-2019, 01:38 PM
Garmin Forerunner 35 is a pretty simple GPS running watch. It tracks your steps. You can create a group with Garmin Connect and compete with each other.

DualvansMommy
06-27-2019, 02:30 PM
Fitbit ace may work for you. It’s a simple tracker with steps, time and heart rate I believe. Not too sure on that.

We just got DS1 Fitbit ace 2 (kids version) which works perfectly for him as he’s only 8. Cost me 50 bucks as didn’t want to get expensive tracker until I know how reliable he is. So far he loves it! And it’s waterproof up to 50 meters which is important to us as he’s in the pool daily.

I have Fitbit versa, and was planning on getting Apple Watch 4. But I’m holding out until the new version of AW come out this fall. Fitbit versa worked well for me several years without any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ang79
06-27-2019, 10:02 PM
Any input on the Fitbit Inspire? That one seems to be the price range I'm looking for. Waterproof would be good, so if DH wears it in the shower it doesn't get ruined! I would enjoy the sleep tracking and silent alarm functions, those are two things I really liked about my Flex. We don't need smart functions, but alerts to calls/messages would be handy, especially since I work as a substitute teacher and don't have my phone on me all day (I leave it on the desk on vibrate, and check it when I get breaks/lunch). So I guess DH and DD would use it to track their distance/times for running, I would like to track activity throughout the day. If it could track yogo and aerobics, those are my interest areas for working out (and hopefully eventually and elliptical when we get the basement finished off). My old Flex only recorded actions where my arm was swinging, so walking or running. Do the newer ones do a better job of recording other movement or would I still have to manually enter an aerobic workout?

With Garmin, you can create a place to compete with friends? I don't think Garmin had that when I got my Fitbit, which is why I decide on the Fitbit (wanted the social competition to help motivate me!) Does it automatically link to your device or do you have to manually input things?

Are there other (cheaper?) brands that also have the social connection? We all currently have iphones, though DD's is old (4s) so many apps won't run on her phone anymore.

pakin
06-28-2019, 09:58 AM
Any input on the Fitbit Inspire? That one seems to be the price range I'm looking for. Waterproof would be good, so if DH wears it in the shower it doesn't get ruined! I would enjoy the sleep tracking and silent alarm functions, those are two things I really liked about my Flex. We don't need smart functions, but alerts to calls/messages would be handy, especially since I work as a substitute teacher and don't have my phone on me all day (I leave it on the desk on vibrate, and check it when I get breaks/lunch). So I guess DH and DD would use it to track their distance/times for running, I would like to track activity throughout the day. If it could track yogo and aerobics, those are my interest areas for working out (and hopefully eventually and elliptical when we get the basement finished off). My old Flex only recorded actions where my arm was swinging, so walking or running. Do the newer ones do a better job of recording other movement or would I still have to manually enter an aerobic workout?

With Garmin, you can create a place to compete with friends? I don't think Garmin had that when I got my Fitbit, which is why I decide on the Fitbit (wanted the social competition to help motivate me!) Does it automatically link to your device or do you have to manually input things?

Are there other (cheaper?) brands that also have the social connection? We all currently have iphones, though DD's is old (4s) so many apps won't run on her phone anymore.

From what you described, the Garmin Vivofit 4 may be better.
https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-v%C3%ADvofit-activity-display-010-01847-00/dp/B077X1SQY9/ref=sr_1_7?crid=JI5N8FAS9F1U&keywords=garmin+vivosmart+4&qid=1561729939&s=gateway&sprefix=garmin+vivo%2Caps%2C234&sr=8-7

"Share and Compete
Throughout your day, vÃ*vofit 4 periodically syncs to Garmin Connect. The Garmin Connect app makes it easier than ever to beat yesterday. Bold, colorful activity cards provide all your statistics at a glance. Scroll down to easily compare today’s totals to past results, or tap in for more detailed information. Activities and other health measurements recorded by your device are presented in vivid detail. And the data you see is customized just for you and the way you move, without all the filler."