PDA

View Full Version : Family reunion food WWYD

petesgirl
07-05-2019, 10:54 PM
We are doing a family reunion for 3 nights and I have food planned out for the last 2 nights (taco salad and BBQ chicken sandwiches with fresh fruit and veggies) but I'm not sure what to do the first night. We don't know how many people will be there that night as some people have been wishy-washy on what days they are coming and we also don't know when people will be arriving-check in is at 4 pm but some people will work that day and then come. So what would you do about dinner? We have a VRBO cabin with full kitchen so I kind of feel bad just telling people to eat out that night but I don't know if we will be there early enough to cook dinner and nobody else is really interested in helping with food.

SnuggleBuggles
07-05-2019, 10:57 PM
Something in the crockpot (bring one of needed). I’d probably do something like chili. It can go well with sandwiches at lunch the next day if people don’t finish it the first night. Otherwise, maybe meatballs in sauce. Provide some buns for sandwiches or noodles.
A big lasagna or baked pasta is my other idea. Again, nothing wrong with leftovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
07-05-2019, 11:02 PM
Why are you in charge of all meals??

petesgirl
07-05-2019, 11:19 PM
Why are you in charge of all meals??

Because half the people can't commit one way or the other as to whether they are even coming or which days they are coming and the other half are single guys who don't know how to take responsibility for anything.

(My parents are offering to help with food but they are also not even sure they are coming. My mom had knee surgery in June and is way too ambitious about what she can do, so I don't know what she will decide to do.)

mikala
07-06-2019, 12:13 AM
Are you close enough to civilization to order pizza? If not, maybe breakfast dinner? You can scramble lots of eggs, make pancakes from a mix or do a baked French toast, fruit on the side, get a bag of frozen sausage links if you want more meat. Any leftovers could be breakfast the rest of the trip.

mom2binsd
07-06-2019, 12:14 AM
Let everyone know there is a kitchen available, but they can figure out the 1st night themselves. You have done enough planning.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AngB
07-06-2019, 12:40 AM
Let everyone know there is a kitchen available, but they can figure out the 1st night themselves. You have done enough planning.

Yep. This. You have gone above and beyond. I think it's nice to let them know they are on their own, but surely they don't expect you to figure out dinner for everyone for every day. And if they do, they can get over it.

m4nash
07-06-2019, 08:21 AM
What about sandwiches, fruit and chips? The leftovers can be lunch on the following days.

jgenie
07-06-2019, 09:24 AM
What about sandwiches, fruit and chips? The leftovers can be lunch on the following days.

This is what I would do. Everyone can help themselves when they arrive and leftovers can be used the remainder of the weekend.

petesgirl
07-06-2019, 11:54 AM

This is what I've done but for some reason I'm feeling guilty about it! I just need to stop worrying.
I think I'll pack a large bag of spaghetti noodles and pasta sauce and anyone who is there at dinner time can either do spaghetti together or get pizza. I don't even know if we will be there at dinnertime though! So I think everyone on their own might be best.

California
07-06-2019, 06:48 PM
“Everyone on their own” will free them up to buy dinner whenever they are hungry on the drive to your rental. Sounds like a good solution for everyone!

The whole single guy thing happens in my family too. It was bothering my DH. He has been trying to change this by planning a dinner and recruiting the guys to pitch in. He also corrals them for cleanup. It works pretty well when he takes the lead!

mom2binsd
07-06-2019, 07:03 PM
If you do all the meals, they will probably also assume you want to do the cleanup, unless you want to be doing everything all weekend long, make it clear that others need to figure things out for themselves, the single guys don't starve on their own so they and the others should figure it out.

carolinacool
07-06-2019, 09:44 PM
“Everyone on their own” will free them up to buy dinner whenever they are hungry on the drive to your rental. Sounds like a good solution for everyone!

I would actually prefer this option on check-in day. Then I’m not feeling rushed and like I need to be somewhere at a certain time.

KpbS
07-06-2019, 09:53 PM
Don’t feel guilty! Relax and have a fun trip!

You could buy some store bought desserts and if people want to drop by and say hello and have some dessert that evening, easy. If not, you can catch up with them the next day.

niccig
07-06-2019, 10:49 PM

The whole single guy thing happens in my family too. It was bothering my DH. He has been trying to change this by planning a dinner and recruiting the guys to pitch in. He also corrals them for cleanup. It works pretty well when he takes the lead!

I agree with this. Gives people freedom to eat on their way there. Also agree with making people help with prep and clean up up too. It’s not all on you to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

trcy
07-07-2019, 09:10 AM
I would just have sandwich fixings.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

petesgirl
07-07-2019, 11:16 AM
I would just have sandwich fixings.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

We do have plenty of things for sandwiches, but we are spending the next two days at beach and planning to bring sandwiches so I don't know if People will want that many sandwiches...ha ha.

klwa
07-08-2019, 09:02 AM
Pizza ordered in or let everyone know to fend for themselves that night.