PDA

View Full Version : How irregular was your daughter's period at first?

Melaine
07-06-2019, 09:24 AM
One of my daughter's just had her second period and it was nearly 10 days long, the second one just got her second period only 18 days after the first period. Does this sound pretty typical? I don't remember mine being this wonky at all. I feel bad for them starting out like this and mine has always been terrible so I do have some anxiety about them.

georgiegirl
07-06-2019, 11:41 AM
Within the range of normal. DD got hers for the first time in December. It was pretty heavy and long. Then three weeks later she got it again, but normal to light. Then about 5 weeks layer she spotted a bit. And then nothing since. Nada. It’s been 4.5 mo since she spotted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AnnieW625
07-06-2019, 03:08 PM
My Dd1 hasn’t gotten hers yet, but I know for myself I had medium to heavy periods with cramps every month from the very beginning at 12 until I was 20 and started birth control. My period during that time was between 5 and 7 days and I always got it about 28 days after it ended. By the time I started using tampons at 15 or 16 I was using super tampons most of the time as regular tampons weren’t enough, but my periods weren’t longer than normal. My pediatrician wasn’t concerned. If you are concerned I would consult your pediatrician.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2binsd
07-06-2019, 08:38 PM
My DD was very irregular for the first few years and often so heavy, she went thru a superplus tampon in 2-3 hrs. Last summer she began taking BC and it has been a life saver, shorter, lighter periods at very regular intervals and no side effects, except improved skin which is a good side effect.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SASM
07-07-2019, 07:36 AM
My DD was very irregular for the first few years and often so heavy, she went thru a superplus tampon in 2-3 hrs. Last summer she began taking BC and it has been a life saver, shorter, lighter periods at very regular intervals and no side effects, except improved skin which is a good side effect.

I remember having to do this as well in my teen years.

DD1 started menstruation last summer at 13yo. It has been fairly irregular...more frequent than spread out. At one point she had her period, it lasted about 7 days, then 2 weeks later she started up again and it lasted 3 weeks with a fairly heavy flow. She was not happy. I am having her keep an eye out anemic symptoms.

Thank you for the BC reminder. We might consider this at her next WCC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

klwa
07-07-2019, 08:06 AM
Sounds pretty much like mine was until I was 20, honestly. Mine always lasted a full 7 days, if not longer. And could start anywhere from 14 days to 60 days from the first day of the previous. The doctors weren't concerned.

trcy
07-07-2019, 08:20 AM
DD hasn't had hers yet but mine was all over the place when it started. I remember at one point it was coming about every two weeks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Moneypenny
07-08-2019, 11:07 AM
DD got hers last fall. She got it 4 or 5 times, about 2-3 weeks apart each time (and was NOT happy about that). She now hasn't had it since and it's been about 4 months. She has a checkup next month so I'm going to ask about it, but I don't think it's terribly abnormal.

erosenst
07-08-2019, 11:08 AM
DD started at 11 - and at 15 is still wildly irregular. Average length between is 80-something days. It's approaching 6 months now - we've agreed to call doctor if it doesn't show up after camp that starts tomorrow for a month. When she was 13ish we did ask ped - the younger they start the more irregular they tend to be as all the 'corollary systems' that trigger a period aren't fully formed/regulated.

Having said that - was easily 10 days for a long time and is now down to 5-7 days.

(And I'm probably way less stressed about this than most as mine were always really irregular until I had her...)

mom2binsd
07-08-2019, 12:57 PM
DD had extreme cramps with hers that weren't even managed with strong pain killers like naproxan/heating pads, that with the excessive bleeding was enough for us to try BC. ,
She was a sophomore and we have discovered that almost all of swim team members are on BC as well, and same with her gymnastic and dance friends, those sports are a pain with heavy bleeding!

DualvansMommy
07-08-2019, 01:49 PM
I don’t have girls, but went to an all girls school so it was often talked about among us!

It is within range of normal. I had my 1st period at 11 then spotted next 2-3 months then nothing for many months. 2nd year started to have a pattern for 5-7 days every 40 days or so. There was always 2-3 months per year where I would have it for close to 10 days then restarting again 20 days later! That was my new norm until I started BC when I went away to college.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TwinFoxes
07-08-2019, 11:26 PM
DDs haven't started theirs yet. But for me, my first period was normal. Then I didn't have one for months. Then they seemed to be a little all over the place (and heavy) until I was around 14 or so. I started mine just after I turned eleven.

erosenst
07-09-2019, 04:49 PM
Just to follow up - DD got her period last night. Of course the day before camp starts... :) But confirms 'waiting' was right answer for her.