PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone dealt with American Express for a car rental loss/damage waiver coverage?

AnnieW625
07-06-2019, 04:54 PM
So we got a cracked windshield (due to a rock) on our rental car the other day and of course this was the one time I didn’t get the loss/damage waiver coverage through National Car Rental. Since I have Emerald Club I did everything online and then checked in at the airport and they handed me the keys to the car and walked to the car. It turns out when I made the reservation months ago I didn’t select the loss damage coverage because the charges didn’t show up on the final printed receipt. I don’t generally get the loss damage waiver and have never had a problem.

When we turned in the car into National yesterday they took the keys and checked the mileage and didn’t say anything about the crack in the windshield. I will assume they will contact me within the next few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nfceagles
07-07-2019, 08:26 AM
If you have windshield coverage on your regular auto policy it might cover the rental. We had a cracked windshield on a rented RV. Our auto policy covered it, but we called it in and documented it while we still had the rv.

AnnieW625
07-07-2019, 12:39 PM
Oh yes I thought of that as well and I am sure it will I just know that Amex says that they have loss damage waiver coverage and travel sites have said it was an alternative to using the rental car agency waivers.

3isEnough
07-08-2019, 12:53 PM
We had the exact same thing happen when we were in Yellowstone a few years ago. I have no idea if the small crack was there when we picked up the rental car but it was definitely there when we turned it in. I submitted the claim to my Chase Visa and they covered it in full. Hopefully Amex provides the same seamless coverage for you.

AnnieW625
07-08-2019, 04:12 PM
We had the exact same thing happen when we were in Yellowstone a few years ago. I have no idea if the small crack was there when we picked up the rental car but it was definitely there when we turned it in. I submitted the claim to my Chase Visa and they covered it in full. Hopefully Amex provides the same seamless coverage for you.

Did the rental car company contact you as well or did you just file automatically with Chase? I haven’t heard from them yet.

3isEnough
07-09-2019, 01:50 PM
The rental company sent me an invoice for the work and I submitted a claim with Chase.

AnnieW625
07-09-2019, 03:26 PM
Great thanks! I haven’t heard anything yet.