PDA

View Full Version : Drink options with lower sugar

ang79
07-12-2019, 11:39 AM
DH loves to drink juice. He will only drink water if he has been working out or doing lawn work and is hot. He doesn't really drink milk. For dinner at night he drinks a big glass of juice. I just read that study about how drinking just small glass of juice or soda per day increases cancer risk 18% and told him about it and now he wants a lower sugar option than his big glass of juice. I suggested fruit infused water since he doesn't like plain water. Any other ideas? And is it worth it to buy the fruit infuser pitchers to make the water or can I just use a regular glass pitcher and add the fruit straight into the water?

KpbS
07-12-2019, 11:51 AM
Fruit infused water is delicious and I bet he will grow to love it. Refrigerated is best to keep it freshest. Easy to do is cut small slices of lemon or limes to add to glasses as desired. Strawberry and melon pieces are good too.

ang79
07-12-2019, 11:59 AM
Fruit infused water is delicious and I bet he will grow to love it. Refrigerated is best to keep it freshest. Easy to do is cut small slices of lemon or limes to add to glasses as desired. Strawberry and melon pieces are good too.

Now the kid want it to, maybe I will make some in mason jars of different flavors for them to test out. I have fresh strawberries, blueberries, and grapes, frozen mixed berries, and lemon and lime. Is it better to let it sit in the fridge awhile to get more flavor?

KpbS
07-12-2019, 12:25 PM
Yes, unlike the citrus just squeeze and go the other fruits will be more flavorful with a little time and a pitcher of water. Although mason jar sampling sounds fun too. :)

essnce629
07-12-2019, 12:31 PM
Sparkling water? I don't like any of the canned sparkling waters much, but buy 2 bottles of sparkling water at Trader Joe's each week for myself. I drink it only at dinner.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

AnnieW625
07-12-2019, 12:34 PM
We just tried Nestle Splash flavored waters and they are great. We got them at Wal Mart. My kids love juice, but these are really nice and even my dh who can’t stand flavored water (still or sparkling) likes these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gymnbomb
07-12-2019, 12:44 PM
We just tried Nestle Splash flavored waters and they are great. We got them at Wal Mart. My kids love juice, but these are really nice and even my dh who can’t stand flavored water (still or sparkling) likes these.

I drink plain water almost all the time, but keep a pack of the Nestle Splash in the fridge at my office and will drink a few of them each week. Usually lemon and orange are my favorite flavors, but once I found strawberry kiwi and it was great! My regular grocery store doesn’t carry it though.

candaceb
07-12-2019, 01:15 PM
I often have water with a "splash" of juice/lemonade/limeade in the summer to help getting in more fluid. It's just enough to give a little flavor and sweetness.
Last summer, I got into drinking CORE "fruit infused" drinks after getting a free sample that got me hooked. They are sweetened with erithritol, so not as bad as aspartame or splenda, but not great either.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CW1YGW2/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

basil
07-12-2019, 02:20 PM
Fruit infused water is great but I’m too lazy for that. I like the true lemon or true lime packers to add something to plain water though. That may be a big transition from juice, as it’s definitely not sweet.

Agree that a big glass of juice per day habit is something that isn’t healthy though.

ang79
07-12-2019, 02:35 PM
Agree that a big glass of juice per day habit is something that isn’t healthy though.

That is what I’ve been telling him for years, but of course he doesn’t listen until it hits the news!

Gracemom
07-12-2019, 02:59 PM
I love unsweet flavored iced tea. Mango, peach and black currant are my favorites.

123LuckyMom
07-12-2019, 03:46 PM
He could wean off by diluting his juice with water or seltzer until he gets used to just having a bit of flavor. I love iced tea made with herbal teas like peach or raspberry. I don’t make it often, but it’s really delicious! Also know that Stevia (and, I think, monkfruit, but I don’t use that) is a pretty safe sweetener. It’s been tested and doesn’t mess with the endocrine system like artificial sweeteners. I wouldn’t use it daily, but if he has the urge for sweet, using some Stevia in iced herbal tea or even getting an occasional drink sweetened with it isn’t going to cause a problem. We always have some True Lemon in the house. It’s basically freeze dried lemon you can add to water. They make it sweetened with some cane sugar and Stevia as well as unsweetened. The packets are designed to pour into a bottle of water, but we make lemonade with them and use one less packet than advised so the flavor is a bit diluted. I think they make other flavors, too, that are primarily freeze dried fruit. When craving a sweet drink, that hits the spot!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

DualvansMommy
07-12-2019, 05:50 PM
DS1 was crazy about juice when he was younger, but I was worried with the extra surface to his diet and teeth. So I made something that we call transfusion in our household; a splash of cranberry juice mixed with 2/3 glass of mixed berry seltzer water.

It became a big bit. Now DS1 drinks plain water 90% and milk sometimes, with transfusion drinks as special occasion drink. It was a great way for DH to transit out from his juice drinks too! Now we all drink plain water, seltzer water or the fruit infused water I make once a month or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pinkmomagain
07-12-2019, 08:57 PM
Hint brand of water is yum!

gatorsmom
07-13-2019, 10:42 AM
Hint brand of water is yum!

i was coming here to say the same thing. Our whole family loves Hint.

JBaxter
07-13-2019, 10:48 AM
What about Vitamin water zero? I love LaCroix but not everyone likes it because its not sweet.