PDA

View Full Version : Soups?

mommy111
07-12-2019, 11:32 PM
My kiddos love Chinese soups (chicken corn, egg drop, hot and sour) but DD is starting to develop an intolerance to anything with soy sauce (she wakes up next day with Sushi face :)) Soups are our go to in the car, so I’d love to hear from the rest of you re favorite soups? Special bonus if it’s a Chinese tasting soup but without soy sauce and with a lower salt content
ETA: and we eat then too so something without cream/not too heavy would be awesome

KpbS
07-13-2019, 12:42 AM
Have you thought about subbing out coconut aminos? I recently discovered this product
Coconut Secret Coconut Aminos (3 Pack) - 8 fl oz - Low Sodium Soy Sauce Alternative, Low-Glycemic - Organic, Vegan, Non-GMO, Gluten-Free, Kosher - Keto, Paleo - 144 Total Servings https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMYMRL2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_IewkDb7CR2CT6

gymnbomb
07-13-2019, 07:04 AM
Not Chinese, but our favorites are chicken tortilla, loaded baked potato, and corn chowder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trcy
07-13-2019, 08:11 AM
Have you thought about subbing out coconut aminos? I recently discovered this product
Coconut Secret Coconut Aminos (3 Pack) - 8 fl oz - Low Sodium Soy Sauce Alternative, Low-Glycemic - Organic, Vegan, Non-GMO, Gluten-Free, Kosher - Keto, Paleo - 144 Total Servings https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMYMRL2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_IewkDb7CR2CT6Yes to this! I have recently switched as well. Great taste and so much less sodium.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

DualvansMommy
07-13-2019, 11:32 AM
My kiddos love Chinese soups (chicken corn, egg drop, hot and sour) but DD is starting to develop an intolerance to anything with soy sauce (she wakes up next day with Sushi face :)) Soups are our go to in the car, so I’d love to hear from the rest of you re favorite soups? Special bonus if it’s a Chinese tasting soup but without soy sauce and with a lower salt content
ETA: and we eat then too so something without cream/not too heavy would be awesome

If it’s really soy that is the issue. You can replace the soy with coconut aminos bottle. It’s very similar to soy and often used as soy substitute.

Otherwise I often make taco soup, egg drop soup with my soy substitute, minestrone soup, and Italian wedding soup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mommy111
07-13-2019, 05:15 PM
You guys are awesome, I hadn’t even heard of coconut aminos, I will try that. Chinese soups are the one thing that do not cause complaints on car rides, since both of them love soups

elbenn
07-15-2019, 11:21 AM
I recently had a root vegetable soup that was so delicious. I looked up recipes and this one seems similar to the one I had (I plan on trying to make it soon)

https://www.shelikesfood.com/roasted-root-vegetable-soup/

fauve01
07-15-2019, 08:22 PM
what the heck is sushi face?

our fav soups are Split pea, chicken noodle, baked potato, tortilla. All Homemade of course!

basil
07-15-2019, 09:39 PM
I’m so baffled by the fact that you eat soup in the car. That seems like the last thing I would let my kids eat in the car! Seems just like asking for it all to be spilled all over my seats. Your kids must be much more careful than mine! :)

And so I don’t leave this thread without contributing something useful... I made this soup yesterday called “frozen pea soup”. It was a bag of frozen peas, 2 cups of boiling water, a touch of acid (I think the recipe called for sherry vinegar but I used lemon cause I had a half I needed to use up), and salt to taste (I didn’t use much). Put all in vitamix and blend til smooth. Chill. Served with a big dollop of whole milk Greek yogurt and my DD ate practically the whole thing. Good for this heat wave we are having!

elbenn
07-15-2019, 10:03 PM
I’m so baffled by the fact that you eat soup in the car. That seems like the last thing I would let my kids eat in the car! Seems just like asking for it all to be spilled all over my seats. Your kids must be much more careful than mine! :)

And so I don’t leave this thread without contributing something useful... I made this soup yesterday called “frozen pea soup”. It was a bag of frozen peas, 2 cups of boiling water, a touch of acid (I think the recipe called for sherry vinegar but I used lemon cause I had a half I needed to use up), and salt to taste (I didn’t use much). Put all in vitamix and blend til smooth. Chill. Served with a big dollop of whole milk Greek yogurt and my DD ate practically the whole thing. Good for this heat wave we are having!

I love easy recipes that are healthy like this. Thanks for sharing! I make a similar pea soup but it uses milk and butter (served hot) instead of just water and yogurt but this sounds much healthier.

mommy111
07-15-2019, 10:17 PM
Thank you all!! The hot and sour with coconut aminos was great, my kids said it smelt like poop but tasted great :rotflmao:
Basil, thank you for the pea soup recipe!! That sounds like something I would love, honestly. Also, soups are so easy when traveling!! We don’t eat them with spoons though, we sip them like coffee with a spoon around to help if needed. For the longest time we used to have soups in the thermos containers for kids and then we started just having them in travel mugs. This is why the thicker soups like chicken corn and hot and sour or homogenous soups like pea soup are great, there is very little stirring