PDA

View Full Version : Do you/would you read books on your phone during a vacation?

JustMe
07-14-2019, 11:41 AM
Now that I have the 3 free months of amazon kindle unlimited, I am trying to decide if I need to bring my old ipad (that I have not used in at least a year) on my trip or if I should just use my phone. The phone is a google pixel 2 and the screen isnt particularly big, but I do read articles on it. We will be doing things like regularly going on a boat where we may get wet, so not sure if I want to bring the ipad (I can protect it of course, but one more thing to worry about). The trip is about 11 days, but the large part of my reading would be during 4 days when we are on a quieter part of the trip.

Thoughts?

SnuggleBuggles
07-14-2019, 11:43 AM
Blech. I would hate it. I will do it in a pinch but my Paperwhite is so much better. Amazon has some pretty cheap e-readers that might be worth exploring especially with Prime Day deals.

TwinFoxes
07-14-2019, 11:46 AM
I only read on my iPhone or iPad if I don't have my kindle. Prime Day is tomorrow and Tuesday. I bet you can get one of the new waterproof Paperwhites for a great price.

fauve01
07-14-2019, 11:50 AM
I hate reading on my phone. I only do it when i am standing in line and didn't remember my kindle or actual book. The phone is way too small! I also hate the backlighting.

mikala
07-14-2019, 12:01 PM
I'd look at the upcoming Kindle deals or try to find a cheap used Kindle on your local resale page. DH reads on his phone for portability but it chews through battery life and can't be especially good for his eyes.

JustMe
07-14-2019, 12:04 PM
Thanks! We are leaving Tuesday, so I won't get anything from Prime day in time. (Although I am considering ordering one for later if there is a good price). Just trying to figure out if it makes sense to use the ipad or not...

Neatfreak
07-14-2019, 12:12 PM
I've been tempted to do it, in order to save space or travel more minimally. But I usually end up bring my actual Kindle e-reader on trips because I prefer the screen for reading 100%.

JustMe
07-14-2019, 12:14 PM
Thanks! My ipad is so old that it was slowing down and that is why I stopped using it. I am going to try to download a book to see if it makes sense to bring it.

JBaxter
07-14-2019, 12:22 PM
I hate reading on my phone I only use my iPad.

doberbrat
07-14-2019, 12:29 PM
prime day deals may be available at whole foods. I'd do just about anything to avoid reading on my phone..... including not reading :(

they also have 20% off refurb kindles in the warehouse section. Not sure the price is decent or not

JustMe
07-14-2019, 12:36 PM
prime day deals may be available at whole foods. I'd do just about anything to avoid reading on my phone..... including not reading :(

they also have 20% off refurb kindles in the warehouse section. Not sure the price is decent or not

Do you mean they may have pick up at Whole foods? Would they have something like a kindle. We have a Whole Foods here, but I am not sure how this works.

doberbrat
07-14-2019, 12:48 PM
Do you mean they may have pick up at Whole foods? Would they have something like a kindle. We have a Whole Foods here, but I am not sure how this works.

Yes. Our whole foods has kindles for sale... they have since Ammy bought them. Maybe you could call and ask if they honor prime pricing? Or, do you live in an area where they do 1 day delivery? I dont know what time you're leaving etc. Or could you have it delivered to your vacation spot?

infocrazy
07-14-2019, 12:51 PM
I hate reading on my phone however I put audio books on for DD for car rides. Maybe you could do that instead?

gymnbomb
07-14-2019, 01:06 PM
No, I would hate reading on my phone. I read a ton on my kindle paper white on vacations. I would consider my iPad to be a not great but workable substitute. I would do something else instead of reading if it had to be on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCGrandma
07-14-2019, 01:09 PM
Yes. Our whole foods has kindles for sale... they have since Ammy bought them. Maybe you could call and ask if they honor prime pricing? Or, do you live in an area where they do 1 day delivery? I dont know what time you're leaving etc. Or could you have it delivered to your vacation spot?

Our WF also has a big display of Amazon devices. And although I haven’t looked, I recently saw a news article that sounded like Kohl’s is/will be carrying Amazon devices. No idea if this is at all Kohl’s stores.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

DualvansMommy
07-14-2019, 02:18 PM
No way would I try to read on my phone. My phone is tiny. iPhone 6s. I’m not fond of trying to read on my iPad either, since it’s big at 10.5” and very hard to read on the beach or by the pool. But do use it for nighttime reading at a pinch if my kindle isn’t near me.

Paerwhite is my far preferred mode to read. Small, changeable font size, portable and great backlight.

I also echo to swing by or call your WF to see if they have kindles in stock there too. I know mine but not the newest version though, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AnnieW625
07-14-2019, 03:27 PM
In a pinch I will but I prefer reading on iPad if I don’t have my Kindle. I have the new waterproof Kindle Paperwhite and it is fine, but honestly I don’t see a huge difference other than the slightly smaller size vs. the prior model. I went from reading on an IPad Mini (for about a year) to a Kindle Paperwhite.

HannaAddict
07-14-2019, 03:50 PM
Nope. Kindle or real book for me.

jgenie
07-14-2019, 06:37 PM
I won’t read on my phone. I’ll surf the internet but not read a book.

doberbrat
07-14-2019, 07:03 PM
target also carries kindles - I think they are also having 'prime day' sales and you can same day pu. With the kohls partnership, they may carry them also? Havent been in a kohls in a couple of years.

perhaps your library has a device you can borrow? Ours carries kindles, ipads etc. You cant load your content, but there is decent stuff preloaded..... Or, a paper book.... Last year, on vacation, we took 149 paper books from the library and 3 kindles. ;)

trcy
07-14-2019, 07:08 PM
I would get a headache. Even reading longer articles on my phone gives me a headache.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

georgiegirl
07-14-2019, 07:16 PM
I read on my phone all the time. I prefer the iPad, but I’ll read on the phone if I’m not around my iPad (like at a doctors office or while putting kids to bed.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday
07-15-2019, 11:48 AM
Nope. I don't like reading on my phone and have retention issues if I read anything longer than a short article or recipe on my phone, so it's not worth it to me.

niccig
07-15-2019, 12:02 PM
I prefer my kindle, but sometimes it’s just easier to take my phone

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

khm
07-15-2019, 12:35 PM
I prefer my kindle, but sometimes it’s just easier to take my phone

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Yeah, in your case, OP, I'd prefer the iPad when actually reading. But, I'd have to balance that out with how annoying it would be to load up said iPad, lug around an extra device vs. how much I'd actually be reading on it. (I guess I generally don't have the types of vacations where I do much reading on devices or otherwise. YMMV.) If it wasn't much, I'd either just use my phone or buy a magazine/paperback.

ahisma
07-15-2019, 01:44 PM
No. I've done it and regretted it. I'd bring a couple of paperbacks and avoid the whole worry about keeping electronics safe. Our local bookstore has a well curated used books section, as does our library (used books for sale - proceeds benefit the library).