PDA

View Full Version : For fun, when did your DCs stop calling you Mama?

trcy
07-18-2019, 02:50 PM
DD is 8 and still calls me mama. I love it and will be so sad when I become 'mom'. A few months ago she told me she was too old to call me mama (I told her that was fine) and called me mom a few times and then reverted back to mama. Just wondering how much longer I can hold on to being her mama.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

niccig
07-18-2019, 03:09 PM
DS is 14 and I’m still “mama” - usually with long vowels as he yells across the house for help. When he talks about me to his friends I’m “mom”

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

KpbS
07-18-2019, 03:14 PM
Well, I have a nephew who is married with a kid and still refers to his mom as Mommy so it might be longer than you think!

And my 14 yo still does call me Mama as well.

pinkmomagain
07-18-2019, 03:35 PM
I have two in their 20s who still call me Mama, Mommy, etc.

trcy
07-18-2019, 03:52 PM
Yay! Thanks all!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Mermanaid
07-18-2019, 04:22 PM
Is it wrong that I won’t answer unless they call me mama or mommy?! They are 14 and 12. I set this expectation several years ago. At the time I was halfway kidding but now it’s ingrained in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

essnce629
07-18-2019, 05:50 PM
I don't think my kids have ever called me mama or mommy. I'm just mom. [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

MSWR0319
07-18-2019, 07:07 PM
I don't think my kids have ever called me mama or mommy. I'm just mom. [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

:yeahthat: I've always just been mom. My youngest called me mommy for awhile, but a few years ago declared that was too babyish and if anyone says any words that end in "Y" he let's them know he is not a baby anymore :ROTFLMAO:

carolinacool
07-18-2019, 07:25 PM
I think DS, who’s now 9, was maybe 6? But I still call my mama Mama. Lol

I’ve always lived in the South. When I think about it, my friends who lived in rural areas seem to stick with mama and daddy longer than folks who were raised in cities in the South.

DualvansMommy
07-18-2019, 07:42 PM
Both boys always called me mommy or mom. DS1 stopped that for past 2-3 years as he’s 8 now. Except for when he’s very upset, reverts back to mommy.

Ds2, 5.5 and knows he’s the baby of the family held on to mommy lot longer. He’s heading off to kindergarten this fall, and just said I’ll call you mom now because I’m not a baby anymore!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TwinFoxes
07-18-2019, 08:05 PM
Mine still call me mommy or mama.

mom2binsd
07-18-2019, 08:22 PM
Mine never really called me "mama", I got Mom or Mum. DS seems to say MOM about 4 thousand times a day sometimes :ROTFLMAO:

BDKmom
07-18-2019, 08:47 PM
My DS stopped around 2, because there was a PBS show we watched where the character used mom and dad (I want to say it was Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood, but maybe not). I was really sad about that. DD used mom even earlier, because that’s what big brother said.

NCGrandma
07-18-2019, 09:07 PM
Reminds me of another name transition: while in graduate school, DC taught in the fellowship program that I led ... and started calling me by my first name. That made more sense than calling me "Mother" in front of our mutual students (even though they all knew about the relationship). What I hadn’t anticipated was that this became a permanent change, at home too. Not really a problem, just a bit surprising.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

mommy111
07-18-2019, 10:00 PM
Reminds me of another name transition: while in graduate school, DC taught in the fellowship program that I led ... and started calling me by my first name. That made more sense than calling me "Mother" in front of our mutual students (even though they all knew about the relationship). What I hadn’t anticipated was that this became a permanent change, at home too. Not really a problem, just a bit surprising.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)
Can I tell you that is totally adorable!!!
my kids call me by my nickname unless they’re mad at which time I’m ‘mom’

pharmjenn
07-18-2019, 10:44 PM
Well, I have a nephew who is married with a kid and still refers to his mom as Mommy so it might be longer than you think!

And my 14 yo still does call me Mama as well.

My 30yo niece in medical school still calls her mom Mommy. Her father died 2 years ago, and he was still Daddy. My 11yo DS still calls us Mommy and Daddy.

klwa
07-19-2019, 07:34 AM
Well, I'm 43 and still use the term Momma when speaking about my mother or other adults' mother, so.... Dh is the same age and still calls his mother Momma as well. It's one of the joys of living in NC.

DS is 13 and has tried to use Mom, but I have explained that I don't like that term for myself. So, he varies it up between Momma, Mommy, and Mother instead. DD1 is 10 and generally still uses Mommy.

klwa
07-19-2019, 07:36 AM
Is it wrong that I won’t answer unless they call me mama or mommy?! They are 14 and 12. I set this expectation several years ago. At the time I was halfway kidding but now it’s ingrained in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, I've told kids that I don't answer to Mom, not kidding. If it's my name, I get to decide how it's used, just like any other name/nickname in my mind!

div_0305
07-19-2019, 11:08 AM
DS called me by my first name until he was 6 :rolleye0014:. It was jarring for me to look at my little pumpkin and see him calling me by my first name, but I got used to it. In public, people assumed I was his babysitter or nanny because of this. My parents lived with us, and I guess he called me by what they called me. When DD was born, I had him practice repeating mommy every time he used my first name (hoping DD would call me mommy instead of my first name). After a month or two, it worked. At 12, I became "mom;" and after a year, I got used to the change (also tried the "I only answer to mommy" trick which worked if he really wanted something).

DD (9) calls me mommy.

I hear adults from the south call their parents mama and daddy.

carolinacool
07-19-2019, 11:28 AM
I hear adults from the south call their parents mama and daddy.

Or "Deddy" if you're from the sticks. *raises hand*

MaiseyDog
07-19-2019, 12:03 PM
I'm 43 and still call my mother Mama but I'm in the deep south and it's pretty common for folks to hold onto both Mama and Daddy as what they call their parents. I also ask others how their mama and daddy are doing. So i don't expect, in this current environment, that my kids will make a change. Now if they grow up and move away, I'm sure they will adapt to whatever is the norm in their new area.

dogmom
07-20-2019, 11:36 AM
My kids always called me mommy.
My 16 yo DS still calls me Mommy.
I hope he calls me Mommy until I die.
I think my 13 yo DD is months from calling me by my first name, lol.