PDA

View Full Version : middle school backpack

boilermakermom
07-22-2019, 01:24 PM
DD is starting middle school in the Fall, and I am wondering what kind of back packs are popular for the middle school crowd. We have usually purchased either Pottery Barn Kids or Pottery Barn Teen, so looking for something new.

Under Armour seems to get love, but I not idea which model is decent.

khm
07-22-2019, 01:52 PM
DD is starting middle school in the Fall, and I am wondering what kind of back packs are popular for the middle school crowd. We have usually purchased either Pottery Barn Kids or Pottery Barn Teen, so looking for something new.

Under Armour seems to get love, but I not idea which model is decent.

Plain ol' Jansport is popular now where I am right now.

My kids both had Under Armour Storms for a few years. My son is continuing to use it (its been used for 4 years, I believe). My daughter wanted something different so she bought herself a Jansport last year, though the UA was still totally fine. I used it on a recent trip.

I wash them at the end of the year and they look great for the new year.

The Jansport is fine too. Very basic, just the main compartment and a front pouch. She said she wanted something with less zippers, etc. (I think she just wanted a new color, but whatever!) Jansports do seem to be the "in" bag at the moment at their high school. I had a leather bottom red one that I used through 5 years of college. She said she wished I still had it, ha.

hillview
07-22-2019, 02:11 PM
LL Bean Deluxe Book Packpack
https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/121112?page=l-l-bean-deluxe-book-pack&bc=50-816&feat=816-GN1&csp=f

niccig
07-22-2019, 02:12 PM
DS used a Jansport we already had. It had 2 compartments though. We got a north face one last year that had better back support and padding, as the Jansport was aggravating his back pain. DS had to carry a lot as didn’t have time to get back to his locker. No textbooks but between folder and every class wanted own notebook, plus lunch as he hates cafeteria food, it was very heavy bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Tenasparkl
07-22-2019, 02:41 PM
We just bought a big Jansport bag for middle school.

ett
07-22-2019, 02:50 PM
LL Bean Deluxe Book Packpack
https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/121112?page=l-l-bean-deluxe-book-pack&bc=50-816&feat=816-GN1&csp=f

This is what DS2 uses.

georgiegirl
07-22-2019, 03:01 PM
DD (13) has been using Jansport the past two years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
07-22-2019, 03:03 PM
Another LLB Deluxe here- each kid has one.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

AnnieW625
07-22-2019, 06:15 PM
Dd1 has a Jansport bag, it isn’t the Super Break Deluxe one, but it isn’t the standard SuperBreak one either as it has a slim pocket above the normal Superbreak pocket. Pretty sure it is this one: https://www.jansport.com/shop/en/jansport-us/new-products/right-pack-expressions-backpack-tzr6?variationId=5R6 . She started using this one last year in 7th grade.

Fjallraven (sp?) packs are super popular here now as well, but if they don’t have a locker and or have to use a larger binder it may not work for them. They are also pretty expensive once you get into the larger styles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marinkitty
07-22-2019, 07:03 PM
My kids have had a North Face, Jansport and Swiss Army backpack for middle school, respectively. I'm not sure that there is any one "must do" brand. Fairly plain, larger than the elementary school ones and not babyish are the most important things as far as I can tell.

essnce629
07-23-2019, 02:53 AM
DS1 also used a LL Bean backpack all through middle school and into high school. In middle school he used their Super Deluxe Book Pack, which is bigger than the regular Deluxe. He's going into 11th grade now and has their Turbo Transit Pack. He could care less about what is popular.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Kindra178
07-23-2019, 01:44 PM
My three in middle school with be using Adidas (Prime V or Mission Plus). I would look into TNF for sure. The most important aspect of a middle school backpack, I have learned, is the depth dimension. Those 2 inch binders become four inch binders by October, are extremely heavy and take up a ton of room in the backpack.

squimp
07-23-2019, 03:13 PM
We had a North Face from 5-th to 8th grade, held up great. It needs to be big and have good padding. They used to carry their iPad and a big binder. Now in high school she has fewer classes per day and less heavy stuff to carry so she uses a Fjallkraven.

doberbrat
07-23-2019, 04:31 PM
My three in middle school with be using Adidas (Prime V or Mission Plus). I would look into TNF for sure. The most important aspect of a middle school backpack, I have learned, is the depth dimension. Those 2 inch binders become four inch binders by October, are extremely heavy and take up a ton of room in the backpack.

And PADDING! dd1 starts the year with a 3in binder ..... any idea how HUGE a 3in binder is???? PLUS a chromebook, a 5 subject notebook AND 2 1 in binders. All that before she adds in a water bottle, lunch, violin and gym clothes.

HannaAddict
07-23-2019, 04:39 PM
Kids here don’t use backpacks much if at all. They are required to have the huge three inch binders instead that sling like a messenger bag. Herschel backpacks are used too and some North Face but mostly just the giant binders that fit small books in it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ahisma
07-24-2019, 10:41 AM
There's no specific brand around here. DS1 has an Osprey that still looks like new despite a year of heavy use. I see Patagonia. Hershel, TNF, and UA mainly, I think.

ang79
07-24-2019, 11:15 AM
DD1 used an Adidas one in 5th and 6th grade and it still looks almost brand new. She really wanted a Jansport to start in the middle school building in 7th, so that is what we went with (Jansport Big Student). We went to Marshalls, they had a great selection of Adidas, Jansport, Trans by Jansport, High Sierra, Under Armor, and others, all for great prices. It was a nice way for her to try different brands and styles on. I'm glad she did, because the style she thought she wanted from Jansport she ended up not liking how the straps curved, so we got a different style.

SASM
07-25-2019, 08:01 AM
It’s all over the place at our middle school. For a while mine weren’t using backpacks at all - they used a large zipper binder with shoulder/crossbody strap and carried their lunch bag. Then it morphed to same binder with strap and a Kavu bag for miscellaneous stuff. Then it was JanSport. And last I saw it was a Fjallraven Kanken.