PDA

View Full Version : What do you pay for dog grooming?

elbenn
07-26-2019, 11:33 AM
What do you pay for dog grooming? How much do you tip? I am wondering if the place I use charges too much.

DualvansMommy
07-26-2019, 12:16 PM
The place I used was a stand alone small grooming business. I was charged 90-95 for both Boxers. It’s been 4 years since, so I’m sure the pricing is now just over 100 though.

I prefer to support local business that really cares for my dogs. One of them used to be anxious around water, and my groomer was just fantastic with her. So its an area I’m willing to pay good money for and avoid petsmart and similar chains too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

elbenn
07-26-2019, 12:37 PM
You mean 90 each, right? I agree with you on going to a locally owned business versus a chain.

specialp
07-26-2019, 01:25 PM
What is the size and breed of your dog? That affects the price greatly.

div_0305
07-26-2019, 01:27 PM
I pay $65 for my mini labradoodle to a groomer that works out of her house, and tip $15. She only takes one dog at a time, and gives her full attention. The local stores around me charge $100-$120 or more, and take multiple dogs at one time. The dogs have to be there for hours, waiting in cages for different stages of their groom.

JBaxter
07-26-2019, 01:36 PM
$100 for both yorkies

elbenn
07-26-2019, 01:40 PM
My dog's breed is Spanish Water Dog. He is a medium size breed--about 40 lbs.

DualvansMommy
07-26-2019, 01:56 PM
You mean 90 each, right? I agree with you on going to a locally owned business versus a chain.

No 90 for both. Which I realize is a bargain after seeing what people pay from FB comments and the like. Like I said, it was 4/5 years ago though and definitely over 100 something if I were to pay now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SASM
07-26-2019, 03:31 PM
I have two standard poodles. We have tried MANY groomers - the pricing has varied from $75-85 per dog to $120-125/pair. We are currently going to the $125/pair local establishment. The ladies offer the cheapest rate and the best cut. Don’t be afraid to try multiple groomers. I do not tip because the two ladies own their business...it’s not a chain. I do tip them around the holidays, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doberbrat
07-26-2019, 05:33 PM
Nothing b/c now I do my own! :cheerleader1:

15yrs ago I was paying $60/dog + tip. My first cocker's groomer would charge $40 but didnt do a gret job - just straight shave w/a 10 blade. The last time I went she razor burned his butt so badly he could not heel properly during a show and I switched. So know you have to be clear in your expectations and dont be afraid to ask to see sample pics or try someone new.

TwinFoxes
07-26-2019, 08:07 PM
We have a Westie (a guess, he's a rescue) and we pay $68, I round to $80. It's a local place that opened right after we got him, so it's the only place he's been. We took our poodle to other local places until he passed. Our big dogs we just bathe ourselves because they don't need grooming. (Boxer who passed away, and our boxer/airedale mix)

Too many horror stories about chain store grooming.

janeybwild
07-27-2019, 12:04 AM
Mini go.den doodle (48#), inc nails, ears and butt $75 plus tip. Takes 2 hours.

hillview
07-27-2019, 03:05 PM
$65 each one 30# one 45# labradoodle

trales
07-27-2019, 06:32 PM
I pay $100 for my newfoundland and give a 20-25 tip depending on her condition when I bring her in. I take her 4-5 times per year. Once year she got a hot spot from a mat b/c I did not take her in and it cost me $400 at the vet. The groomer does a WAY better job than I can, has all the right equipment, gets out her whole undercoat. It is cheaper than the vet and the dog is happy.

I spend more per year on the dogs fur than I do on my own personal grooming. I am totally okay with that.

specialp
07-28-2019, 02:03 PM
I spend more per year on the dogs fur than I do on my own personal grooming. I am totally okay with that.

:) That's no longer the case for me now, but it used to be and I was also fine with it. I have to book the groomer much further in advance than I do my stylist.

erosenst
07-29-2019, 02:35 PM
I have to book the groomer much further in advance than I do my stylist.

Our groomer gives US the schedule. :ROTFLMAO: A year in advance. (In December we get next year's schedule.)

We have two small (8 and 10 pounds) malti-poos. We pay $65 per dog. Independent shop so no tip although probably should at the holidays now that I type that...

California
07-29-2019, 05:33 PM
$65 plus tip for small rescue dog, mostly poodle.

I bought good quality clippers a few months back and so far so good on grooming her myself! She’s VERY compliant with grooming, and we like her with a simple “puppy cut,” otherwise I wouldn’t attempt it.

doberbrat
07-29-2019, 10:03 PM
Our groomer gives US the schedule. :ROTFLMAO: A year in advance. (In December we get next year's schedule.)

We have two small (8 and 10 pounds) malti-poos. We pay $65 per dog. Independent shop so no tip although probably should at the holidays now that I type that...

Seriously? :47: What happens if you have to cancel? Or its not convenient ?

specialp
07-29-2019, 10:36 PM

EEK! No way! That would lead to so many cancellations and having to refill spots!

I realized I never answered. I pay $55 + tip for <12 lbs. It is an independent store, but still with overhead in a high rent commercial rent area, owned by 2 ladies who have not accepted new customers in 4 or 5 years. I've never followed the only tip if employees and not owner so I just do, but it is probably not necessary. OP, if you call around you could get ideas about the cost from others, but I would want recommendations from people who have that breed as to groomers. There are really bad groomers out there, especially the chain places.

citymama
07-30-2019, 04:06 AM
$75 at stand-alone groomer or $50 at chain like Petco. Definitely recommend the former. Planning to invest in my own grooming supplies and do it myself following traumatic incident at groomers.

erosenst
07-30-2019, 10:53 AM
For those asking about cancellations/etc on groomer schedule - we look at it carefully when it comes out. If we know it interferes with vacation, we reschedule then and have always been able to make it work. Since it's on a Tuesday, and DD is in school most of the time, at least one of us is here to take them so in 12 years we haven't had an issue. Also - after 12 years - if one had an 'emergency' need they'd work us in but thankfully that hasn't happened either.

Other thing I neglected to mention - if you call and get their answering machine, it literally says that they aren't taking new appointments and don't have a waiting list. (If your dogs die, as our old ones did, you are 'grandfathered' space. We also got two puppies while one of the old ones was still alive and they increased our appt to cover all three.)

I can never understand why they don't expand...