PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for backpack that holds a large water bottle?

musicalgrl
07-28-2019, 09:43 AM
I'm looking for a good backpack option for family day trips that can accommodate a large size water bottle. I currently either put it inside the backpack which is always at risk of spilling or we'll attach it with a carabiner which is floppy and awkward. Some of the backpacks we've used have a mesh pocket on the outside designed for water bottles, but they don't seem to be big enough for the 24 oz. Tervis, for example.

SnuggleBuggles
07-28-2019, 09:51 AM
Maybe you should just buy a Camelback. Their lightweight and comfortable.
But, I make everyone carry their own smaller water.
What do you need to carry in a backpack? I’m blanking on your kiddo’s ages but post diaper stage, I can’t think of anything I’d lug around for my family vs them just bringing their own stuff. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

ahisma
07-28-2019, 10:21 AM
REI Trail 40.

musicalgrl
07-30-2019, 08:30 PM
Maybe you should just buy a Camelback. Their lightweight and comfortable.
But, I make everyone carry their own smaller water.
What do you need to carry in a backpack? I’m blanking on your kiddo’s ages but post diaper stage, I can’t think of anything I’d lug around for my family vs them just bringing their own stuff. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Whenever we do day trips I wind up being the keeper of the snacks and water. My kids do have their own backpacks for extended travel, but don’t typically bring them on shorter outings. But you’re right, as they get older expectations will change. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

musicalgrl
07-30-2019, 08:31 PM
REI Trail 40.

Thanks, I’ll check it out!

candaceb
07-30-2019, 10:08 PM
Whenever we do day trips I wind up being the keeper of the snacks and water. My kids do have their own backpacks for extended travel, but don’t typically bring them on shorter outings. But you’re right, as they get older expectations will change. [emoji6]

I'm in the same boat of being the schlepper of snacks and water bottles for outings. My DS will carry a backpack, but then he leaves it somewhere when he gets distracted and we spend half our time trying to track down the missing backpack! It's just easier if I have one, and I keep it packed all the time with basic snacks, kleenex, bug wipes, hand wipes, etc. Lately I have been using an Eddie Bauer Stoawaway 30L. I used to have the 20L version, but I have found that even when I don't need the extra room, the 30L has more comfortable straps. I prefer to balance the load with 2 water bottles so I haven't tried an especially big one. It is often on sale for $20 and then I get $10 coupons from Eddie Bauer so I am thrilled with it for $10. Bonus is that DH will carry it without complaint because it's not girl-y.
https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/82300073/stowaway-30l-packable-pack?cm_mmc=GooglePLA-_-brand_PLA_B_Brand_New-_-Gear-_-0230073272000000&cvo_campaign=brand_PLA_B_Brand_New&cvosrc=cse.google.0230073272000000&gclid=CjwKCAjw1f_pBRAEEiwApp0JKBK1tciQfzkTdUPnGbuw 02K3otpHaDEm_UWiM62ApijpLFb3tALz5BoCDDkQAvD_BwE&sp=1&size=ONESZE&color=Peak%20Blue