PDA

View Full Version : No period but not menopause?

Mommy_Mea
09-09-2019, 01:28 PM
My period went missing nearly a year ago after very very regular periods, always. I have had blood work done for menopause twice, and both times it didn't show I was in menopause. My doctor advises that I regularly have a period, and should take hormones or BCP to trigger. I haven't been on BCP for 15+ years because I am convinced it was the source of depression/anxiety. A friend mentioned research showing increased breast cancer with number of cycles in a lifetime, so I am a little wary of artificially inducing cycles.

I am otherwise healthy (dealt with a parathyroid issue, but surgery was nearly a year ago).

Anyone had experience with no period, but not menopause? Did your doctor recommend triggering regular cycles?

mmsmom
09-09-2019, 02:14 PM
I have not been tested for menopause but I have not had a period in a year. However, I have been on the pill you take everyday for 3 months so I used to only get a period 4x/year. Recently I have been traveling during the quarterly break so I have been taking continually so I would not get a period. The last 2 times I should have gotten a period I didn’t. My doctor has not been concerned at all and she also encourages taking the pill continually if you don’t want a period. I am 48. I would like to do one of the other BC options besides the daily pill but I am concerned I will end up with a monthly period again. I like being able to control it with the pill but I have not had any side effects from it.

ETA: I have always heard it is fine to not have a period so I can’t imagine why your Doc would think it is important to have a regular cycle. Once you are past wanting to conceive I don’t think it matters. It can be an indicator of other issues but I don’t think you have to have a period to figure out what those issues could be.

Percycat
09-10-2019, 02:38 PM
I may have been similar. I wasn't having periods. I hadn't been going to ob/gyn, but a friend convinced me I still should.
Blood tests indicated I was not in peri-menopause or menopause. The doctor did an ultra sound to measure the thickness of my lining and concluded it was too thick, which is apparently a cancer risk. I had a vaginal biopsy (which hurt) and the test was inconclusive. I had a D&C biopsy and there was no cancer. She prescribed progesterone (?) to force periods. It didn't always work. I decided to switch doctors (after about 2 years with the previous doctor) and the next doctor decided I was probably in menopause. I stopped taking the hormone and have never had a period again.

Mommy_Mea
09-12-2019, 04:40 PM
My doctor said something about needing to shed your lining, which made sense at the time, but doesn't so much the more I think about it. And if I am not having my period, am I even building up a lining?

There are plenty of bcp that you get minimal periods or none as you mentioned. More to think about and look into, thank you!

I have not been tested for menopause but I have not had a period in a year. However, I have been on the pill you take everyday for 3 months so I used to only get a period 4x/year. Recently I have been traveling during the quarterly break so I have been taking continually so I would not get a period. The last 2 times I should have gotten a period I didn’t. My doctor has not been concerned at all and she also encourages taking the pill continually if you don’t want a period. I am 48. I would like to do one of the other BC options besides the daily pill but I am concerned I will end up with a monthly period again. I like being able to control it with the pill but I have not had any side effects from it.

ETA: I have always heard it is fine to not have a period so I can’t imagine why your Doc would think it is important to have a regular cycle. Once you are past wanting to conceive I don’t think it matters. It can be an indicator of other issues but I don’t think you have to have a period to figure out what those issues could be.

Mommy_Mea
09-12-2019, 04:42 PM
Just prior to my periods stopping, I was having some spotting issues, so they did the testing on my lining and all was good. Maybe I should request it again, similar to your testing, and if it is negative just accept I am in menopause.

Partially feeling out if I need a new gyn, so I really appreciate your input!
I may have been similar. I wasn't having periods. I hadn't been going to ob/gyn, but a friend convinced me I still should.
Blood tests indicated I was not in peri-menopause or menopause. The doctor did an ultra sound to measure the thickness of my lining and concluded it was too thick, which is apparently a cancer risk. I had a vaginal biopsy (which hurt) and the test was inconclusive. I had a D&C biopsy and there was no cancer. She prescribed progesterone (?) to force periods. It didn't always work. I decided to switch doctors (after about 2 years with the previous doctor) and the next doctor decided I was probably in menopause. I stopped taking the hormone and have never had a period again.

westwoodmom04
09-12-2019, 04:58 PM
How old are you?

Mommy_Mea
09-12-2019, 09:24 PM
I am 43.
How old are you?

StantonHyde
09-12-2019, 09:53 PM
I think if your lining isn't too thick--why the "need" for a period. I think its important to make sure its not something else. Not sure what having a period "fixes"??? I have had a Mirena for almost 15 years now and don't have periods--whooo hoo. Maybe that's ok because the Mirena makes it so many women have thin to no linings. But you can BCP year round and not get a period. So I would want to know why I needed to have a period.

hbridge
09-14-2019, 08:31 AM
If you go too long, you can hemorrhage when you have the next one. The longest I have gone between periods is 7 months and when it did arrive the cramping was excruciating, with VERY heavy bleeding, I could not function for about 24 hours. Definitely look into the period inducing hormones. It's been awhile, but if I remember correctly you take them and should get a period within two weeks. I don't think I would add regular birth control for missed periods. Definitely check with your doctor. There may even be a way for them to check the thickness of the uterus lining. However, please be careful when you do get a period, you don't want to lose too much blood!