PDA

View Full Version : Flu shot question...only doing 1 dose?

AngB
09-27-2019, 06:04 PM
Since DS2 has had the flu two years in a row (first year super mild, he was sick for like 2 days; last year a little worse, he was sick for like 3 days but took like a week to feel 100%...in both cases nothing super alarming or concerning really-no tamiflu or anything), AND we have a baby in the house this year, I talked them into getting flu shots. (Not really something I am making them do because I am still meh on them but figure whatever if I can talk them into it, might as well.) Baby just turned 6 mo and got a flu shot at her well visit and I have to get one for work and will be breastfeeding so not something I'm super concerned about. So I have talked/bribed him into it, but it looks like since he's 7 instead of 9 and hasn't had a flu shot before, they recommend 2 doses.

So if I know there's about a 90% chance we won't be doing the second dose, even the first one is a pretty big stretch, should we not even bother?

Kindra178
09-27-2019, 06:38 PM
I guess I’m confused. Do you have to convince your kids to get vaccines?

If this is his first flu shot, he should get two doses.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Snow mom
09-27-2019, 07:16 PM
What does the doctor recommend since he's had the flu before? I'm honestly unfamiliar with the recommendations. I know with infants they get two shots the first time. I have a basic understanding of the immune system from undergrad immunology and wonder if the second shot is necessary with first immunization if you've previously had influenza. But yes, I'd get him the first shot and if it seems necessary I'd get him the second as well. My kids don't get an option in these things and I count on my kids getting the flu shot because otherwise they bring the flu home and everyone gets sick.

JBaxter
09-27-2019, 07:22 PM
We have never done flu shots here. I dont see the need.

Liziz
09-27-2019, 08:40 PM
I would have him get both shots if that's the recommendation, but even if there's a chance that he won't get the second shot, I'd still do the first shot. Without the second dose, you run the risk that the first dose isn't really providing the protection it's capable of, but it's not like it's harmful to only have one dose.

AngB
09-27-2019, 09:12 PM
I guess I’m confused. Do you have to convince your kids to get vaccines?

If this is his first flu shot, he should get two doses.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

If I don't want to drag him in screaming and crying, yes, it's easier to get him on board with it.

I didn't ask what he should get. I asked if there is a point to get him one dose knowing we won't go back for the second.

Indianamom2
09-27-2019, 09:18 PM
In answer to your question, I think there is some benefit to getting the first dose even if you don't end up following up with a second dose. Both would be best, especially since it seems he is susceptible and you have a baby in the house, but some protection is better than none, in my opinion.

AngB
09-27-2019, 09:29 PM
What does the doctor recommend since he's had the flu before? I'm honestly unfamiliar with the recommendations. I know with infants they get two shots the first time. I have a basic understanding of the immune system from undergrad immunology and wonder if the second shot is necessary with first immunization if you've previously had influenza. But yes, I'd get him the first shot and if it seems necessary I'd get him the second as well. My kids don't get an option in these things and I count on my kids getting the flu shot because otherwise they bring the flu home and everyone gets sick.

If it was a vaccination I really thought was important, they would get it and it wouldn't be optional. I'm not a huge believer in flu shots and only get them myself because they are required for my job in healthcare- and I really only got the baby the flu shot because we were there for the well visit anyway and because she's exposed to her brothers' germs- if it were just her I wouldn't have. It's mostly just having the baby and our recent hx with the flu making me even consider it. I never have before nor have I ever regretted not getting them it. I agree it seems like having the flu not once but twice (and tested both times not like I *think* he had it, the first time so mild if he hadn't tested positive I would have never guessed it was the flu), it seems like he should have some natural immunity. Also from an immunity standpoint, I don't get what is so magical about 9 year olds that they only need 1 dose even for their first time getting a flu shot and yet a 7 yo is supposed to have 2. His body has been exposed to the flu and fought it off twice, that seems like it should provide better natural immunity than a flu shot anyway. Our ped pretty much goes by the cdc recs so I'm sure he would say get the 2 doses.

Indianamom2
09-27-2019, 09:37 PM
I may be wrong, but I don't believe that having the flu then makes you immune to it. You can get it again in the same season or get a different strain.

ett
09-27-2019, 09:42 PM
I would still get the first dose, even if you're not planning to get the second dose.

doberbrat
09-27-2019, 09:42 PM
I dont get the magical before/after 9yo either. Last yr I got the flu shot for dd2 for the 1st time. She has asthma, has had 2 bouts w/the flu and pneumonia multiple times - her well visit was in Oct and I decided to go for it. she was a few weeks from 9 and they still wanted to do 2 doses - I decided 1 was good enough!

KpbS
09-27-2019, 10:04 PM
I would have him get both doses no questions asked since you have a baby in the house. She is in a very high risk group being under 2 for having complications or negative outcomes.

dogmom
09-28-2019, 07:11 AM
1) 9 is not a “magical” age it’s based on annual epidemiology studies of the flu. You just have to draw the line somewhere. Just like people over 65 get a different vaccine. If my my memory serves me correctly It improves vaccine effectiveness in those age groups. Some flu years the 2 shot will have more of an impact than others, but you can’t tell until after the season. Here’s One of those:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5218633/

2) Unless your child got very sick or tested + for the flu I would not assume they had it.

3) For me the vaccines have always fallen into the non-negotiable area of child-parent interaction and I always make that clear.

AnnieW625
09-28-2019, 10:00 AM
I am not sure I would get it for him if he is going to pitch a fit about having to get two shots even if he has tested positive for the flu in the past. It just isn’t worth the hassle if it isn’t a 100% guarantee he won’t get the flu again.

petesgirl
09-28-2019, 10:41 AM
I only remember my babies needing 2 shots, but my kids have always had the flu shot since they were babies. I would still do 1 even if I weren't going back for the 2nd. The flu virus changes every year so he could have built up immunity to last year's virus but that doesn't necessarily mean he will be protected this year.
Just curious, why are you planning to not go back for the 2nd one? You don't think you can talk him into 2 shots or just don't believe in the flu shot enough to make it worth the trip?

georgiegirl
09-28-2019, 10:45 AM
At that age I assume one is pretty effective. One is better than none, but I’d try for 2 if possible

AngB
09-28-2019, 02:36 PM
1) 9 is not a “magical” age it’s based on annual epidemiology studies of the flu. You just have to draw the line somewhere. Just like people over 65 get a different vaccine. If my my memory serves me correctly It improves vaccine effectiveness in those age groups. Some flu years the 2 shot will have more of an impact than others, but you can’t tell until after the season. Here’s One of those:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5218633/

2) Unless your child got very sick or tested + for the flu I would not assume they had it.

3) For me the vaccines have always fallen into the non-negotiable area of child-parent interaction and I always make that clear.

Thanks for the link, makes sense.

He did test positive for it both years. It was so mild we actually thought it was strep or something and took him in to get an antibiotic. If we had known it was the flu we wouldn't have brought him in since the first year he had it our ped didn't even recommend tamiflu and the second year we declined it. The second year his stomach was really hurting so I was actually more worried about appendicitis or something.

If it was a vaccine I agreed we *needed* it wouldn't be a negotiable. This is more of like "eh, I'll bring it up and see if they want to get it"...(only even considering messing with it because of the baby- but she actually will be getting both doses of the flu shot plus I'm getting it and breastfeeding, so I feel like the other kids getting vaccinated is a nice extra precaution but not really something they need to get/do), our Targets are doing the $5 gift cards so I mentioned if they got the flu shot they could keep/use the gift cards so to my surprise they wanted it. It's enough of a pain that I know upfront we are unlikely to go back although if we get around to it again great.

Indianamom2
09-28-2019, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the link, makes sense.

He did test positive for it both years. It was so mild we actually thought it was strep or something and took him in to get an antibiotic. If we had known it was the flu we wouldn't have brought him in since the first year he had it our ped didn't even recommend tamiflu and the second year we declined it. The second year his stomach was really hurting so I was actually more worried about appendicitis or something.

If it was a vaccine I agreed we *needed* it wouldn't be a negotiable. This is more of like "eh, I'll bring it up and see if they want to get it"...(only even considering messing with it because of the baby- but she actually will be getting both doses of the flu shot plus I'm getting it and breastfeeding, so I feel like the other kids getting vaccinated is a nice extra precaution but not really something they need to get/do), our Targets are doing the $5 gift cards so I mentioned if they got the flu shot they could keep/use the gift cards so to my surprise they wanted it. It's enough of a pain that I know upfront we are unlikely to go back although if we get around to it again great.

Just a thought, but it sounds like he was quite motivated by a $5 Target gift card for the first shot. That's a bribe I'd happily offer again for the second dose. He might surprise you.

MMMommy
09-28-2019, 05:48 PM
This is more of like "eh, I'll bring it up and see if they want to get it"...(only even considering messing with it because of the baby- but she actually will be getting both doses of the flu shot plus I'm getting it and breastfeeding, so I feel like the other kids getting vaccinated is a nice extra precaution but not really something they need to get/do), our Targets are doing the $5 gift cards so I mentioned if they got the flu shot they could keep/use the gift cards so to my surprise they wanted it. It's enough of a pain that I know upfront we are unlikely to go back although if we get around to it again great.

This made me chuckle! I cannot imagine any child saying “yes, I want to get a flu shot” when given the choice to have one or not. I would just do the two doses. I assume one is better than nothing at all, but would just make a point to get both doses.

gymnbomb
09-28-2019, 07:11 PM
This made me chuckle! I cannot imagine any child saying “yes, I want to get a flu shot” when given the choice to have one or not. I would just do the two doses. I assume one is better than nothing at all, but would just make a point to get both doses.

Yeah, not a chance my kid would choose that! Not a chance my husband would either... I let my son choose if he got his flu shot when I was getting mine or when his sister was getting hers. But he knew getting it wasn’t optional so he didn’t complain too much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Liziz
09-28-2019, 08:14 PM
Just a thought, but it sounds like he was quite motivated by a $5 Target gift card for the first shot. That's a bribe I'd happily offer again for the second dose. He might surprise you.

:yeahthat: Yes, he might surprise you! I've always let my kids pick out a piece of candy after shots....and last time DD1 was getting a shot DD2 actually asked if she could have one as well, because "it doesn't hurt that much and I want to go pick out candy too". :ROTFLMAO:

zukeypur
09-30-2019, 09:32 PM

My kids have had the flu and remember how horrible it was, so yes, they want to get the flu shot. We all just went yesterday actually and got them. Also, they live in a home with two healthcare professional parents, so they wouldn’t get a choice even if they protested.