PDA

View Full Version : gift ideas for elderly...

hbridge
09-29-2019, 04:27 PM
Hi all,

I am looking for some gift ideas for my aging parents. We have done all the grandparent related things that I can think of. The kids are now older so it's harder.

They are elderly, but live together in a house. They purchase what they need/want so there are no gaps to fill. I would love to get them grocery delivery or something, but they are adamantly opposed.

Any suggestions? So far I am considering a monthly flower bouquet (probably through White Flower Farm unless I can find somewhere local), gift certificates to places they wouldn't normally go (Whole Foods, Bakery, Butcher, ect), and a food basket with the grandchildren's favorites (we have done this before, it gives them a chance to try DC's favorites, especially from Trader Joes). However, I am looking for other ideas that I may not have considered. They live local to us.

I have considered an "experience" type gift, but they are less mobile than they would like to be and DC are really active so that's hard.

Thank you so much in advance for any and all suggestions.

SnuggleBuggles
09-29-2019, 04:36 PM
My parents enjoy their Echo Dots and Shows.

If something like a family cruise is possible, that's a great (big!) present. Small scale- sightseeing tour of some variety. :)

gymnbomb
09-29-2019, 05:13 PM
Have you done family photos with everyone including them? Other things we have done are baskets of fancier versions of foods they like, nice pajamas, and experiences like theater tickets which could be just them or them and you without kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hbridge
09-29-2019, 06:21 PM
Thank you for the ideas. A cruise is definitely out (due to a variety of reasons). A vacation is a possibility, we go on vacation with them every summer and mobility is becoming really hard.

Family photos is an interesting idea.... especially considering there are ZERO pictures of me from the last few years since no one else takes pictures... Hmmmm… However, I am not sure they would be interested at this point.

Health and mobility issues have been in a decline in the last year or two...

Theater tickets is an idea, but they are not too interested...

Food baskets are always fun... I am pretty sure DC and I will be putting on together :)!

These are great, though, keep them coming!!!

ncat
09-29-2019, 06:26 PM
We get my parents nice balsamic vinegar. It is more expensive than they would buy for themselves and doesn't mess up their healthy eating goals.

gymnbomb
09-29-2019, 07:49 PM
Family photos is an interesting idea.... especially considering there are ZERO pictures of me from the last few years since no one else takes pictures... Hmmmm… However, I am not sure they would be interested at this point.

!!!

If it isn’t something they would be interested in as a gift, I strongly encourage talking them into having them done with you and your family anyway. We did this with my grandparents and aunt when I was in college about 15 years ago. We did some with all of us, some of my grandparents, some of my parents, some of me and parents, etc. My parents let everyone pick out the prints they wanted and paid for it all for Christmas. My grandfather is 94 now and still has some of them out in his apartment, and we all are so glad we have nicely done photos with them, especially since my grandmother has passed away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DualvansMommy
09-29-2019, 09:04 PM
My in laws are pretty advanced age, and since I married into the family we did all the obvious things plus day and weekend trips alone or together. Now that my MIL is almost 91, mobility is def an issue so lately for the last 2-3 years we gift her a huge basket of homemade meatballs with tomato sauce. She loves homemade food that reminds her of her recipes, a hard feat since she is a phenomenal cook! But I finally found a place. So that became a standby for gifts.

We also gave her a personalized blanket with the grandkids photos on it from Shutterfly, as she’s cold all the time. I thought she’d think it’s lame but actually ended up one of her favorite gifts. For her 90th birthday earlier this year, we did a formal portrait family photo of her & FIL with all the grandkids. She loved it!

Since you say you’re not often in family photos, I think a personalized photograph of you with your family or them is great. But I find in general, it’s so hard to think of gifts with elderly people who don’t want tech, don’t travel (whether by choice or can’t) not interested in theatre etc. I feel you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

doberbrat
09-29-2019, 10:19 PM
I would encourage everyone to get/take family pics as often as you can. My cousin organized a pro session one year when we were all together. It was expensive but the pics came out fantastic. Little did we know that 2 yrs later she would die suddenly. Those pics are everything to my family.

I would definitely try to do a family session w/your parents if you can.

ehmom
09-30-2019, 09:09 AM
My grandmother had tons of old family pictures all stuffed into boxes. I scanned a bunch of her favorites and had them made into a photo book for her. It basically traced her entire life from infancy until she was holding her great grand children. She loved it! It made it easy for her to look through pictures without getting boxes down. She passed away a few years later at 98 years old and my aunt put the book out at her funeral visitation. The whole family enjoyed looking for at the old pictures many of which they had never even seen before.

hillview
09-30-2019, 09:58 AM
a video camera for tele conferencing. Apple watches in case of a fall. Food is always a great idea. I like ehmom idea -- my mom is digitizing a lot of her letters and there is a service locally that helps her (digitization service) and she has a college kid assisting her. A photo frame you can update from your phone with new photos. a donation to a charity they really love. a bench in their name at a local park or location that is important to them (we did this for my grandma before she died)

Mamma2004
09-30-2019, 11:02 AM
a video camera for tele conferencing. Apple watches in case of a fall. Food is always a great idea. I like ehmom idea -- my mom is digitizing a lot of her letters and there is a service locally that helps her (digitization service) and she has a college kid assisting her. A photo frame you can update from your phone with new photos. a donation to a charity they really love. a bench in their name at a local park or location that is important to them (we did this for my grandma before she died)

Ignorant poster here!

DH has had Apple Watches since their debut; I refused, as I just don't like them (aesthetically for my minuscule wrist, plus the immediacy of all tech....).

My mom was just widowed a few months ago (We are still struggling with my dad's unexpected passing). She is now partially disabled, following a traumatic surgery in 2013. Falls are a very REAL fear, as she has already fallen a couple of times. Thankfully, she was okay(ish), but that's when my dad was there. Now we are looking into Medical Alert necklaces and bracelets, but the Apple Watch intrigues me. Please tell me how this could help with a fall. Is it just so that she could contact me or 911? Is there an automatic alert?

Thanks for your patience with me!

hillview
09-30-2019, 11:39 AM
Ignorant poster here!

DH has had Apple Watches since their debut; I refused, as I just don't like them (aesthetically for my minuscule wrist, plus the immediacy of all tech....).

My mom was just widowed a few months ago (We are still struggling with my dad's unexpected passing). She is now partially disabled, following a traumatic surgery in 2013. Falls are a very REAL fear, as she has already fallen a couple of times. Thankfully, she was okay(ish), but that's when my dad was there. Now we are looking into Medical Alert necklaces and bracelets, but the Apple Watch intrigues me. Please tell me how this could help with a fall. Is it just so that she could contact me or 911? Is there an automatic alert?

Thanks for your patience with me!
I understand it will call 911 if you fall -- I have 2 friends who have parents who this has called 911 for their parents (both were ultimately ok but one was in significant need of help)
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208944

Mamma2004
09-30-2019, 11:44 AM
I understand it will call 911 if you fall -- I have 2 friends who have parents who this has called 911 for their parents (both were ultimately ok but one was in significant need of help)
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208944

Thank you so much!!!!

twowhat?
09-30-2019, 12:12 PM
Thank you so much!!!!

Yes, thank you for asking this question and to the PP who answered! We struggle with gifts for the elderly too and this is a great idea!! DH was thinking of getting himself one (to better track health/fitness) and I am considering one too, though I have the "miniscule wrist" problem and the apple watch looks ridiculously large on me.

Kindra178
09-30-2019, 12:39 PM
My mom loves her kindle, iPad and restaurant gc.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

DualvansMommy
09-30-2019, 02:23 PM
Thank you so much!!!!

Make sure you check which generation has that feature to call 911 and also contact the next of kin it’s set up in the phone too. I think it’s only for AW 4 and newer, not sure whether AW 3 has that ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ha98ed14
09-30-2019, 08:12 PM
My grandmother had tons of old family pictures all stuffed into boxes. I scanned a bunch of her favorites and had them made into a photo book for her. It basically traced her entire life from infancy until she was holding her great grand children. She loved it! It made it easy for her to look through pictures without getting boxes down. She passed away a few years later at 98 years old and my aunt put the book out at her funeral visitation. The whole family enjoyed looking for at the old pictures many of which they had never even seen before.

what a cool gift!!!

StantonHyde
10-01-2019, 01:33 AM
Fruit of the month clubs, cheese of the month clubs, etc--fun for people who don't get out as much. Flowers of the month are also nice. White Flower Farms, Jackson and Perkins, Harry and David--all have good ideas as well as Williams Sonoma.