PDA

View Full Version : Need some BBB Mojo

melrose7
10-03-2019, 08:30 AM
I’ve posted before about my DD1 disability and having trouble with our school. We moved to a new city 5 yrs ago for her to attend a special needs school. It was much better than what we had but as she got older it got bad and the past year was horrible. She spent most of the year in total seclusion and many reports of transfers to the time out room.

I’ve posted about not using medication because she is nonverbal and I hate that she can’t tell me about side effects so we’ve haven’t put her on anything. And it’s frustrating because something could be fine 9 out of 10 times but that 10th time she loses it.

We found a new school and got our district to pay for it and transportation and she just got kicked out of there last Friday. It ending horribly and our district might be suing them. So our IEP team is scrambling on what to do.

I need some mojo that we will figure something out and find a great placement for her. She’s home with me but it’s not ideal. I can’t homeschool and she can’t stay home with me indefinitely. There has to be a school that can teach/handle her. She is happy/good 95% of the day. It’s just that 5% that we are having trouble with.

We have an appointment next week with her pediatrician to discuss medication. We are on a waiting list to see a psychiatrist but that won’t be until February, maybe.
We had a neuropsych evaluation this summer and even she didn’t see the need for medication but I reached out to her too.

ArizonaGirl
10-03-2019, 09:11 AM
Sending you mojo, and :hug: as I really do understand the struggle.

Smillow
10-03-2019, 09:34 AM
Hugs and mojo!!!

Kindra178
10-03-2019, 10:48 AM
Good luck to you.

Re psychiatrist, are you looking for one who takes insurance? Around here, psychiatrists that don’t are fairly easy to get into see. We submit our own forms and get a good amount of coverage (60%).

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

mom2binsd
10-03-2019, 11:18 AM
Hope you are able to get some help soon, are you on the cancelation list for the psych? That is too long for you to wait? It seems so extreme that for that small amount of time she is struggling they have removed her from school completely!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

KpbS
10-03-2019, 11:35 AM
I’m really sorry about all of the school difficulties! That’s so hard!

I would not begin any medication since her behavior is good/managed 95% of the time. There are so many side effects that are truly undesirable. We have had a lot of experience with this.

I’ll pray you find a good school setting. Can she go to a sensory room or a calm down space when overwhelmed? I would look for something with those options.

PunkyBoo
10-03-2019, 12:38 PM
I'm so sorry this had been so hard for you, and your DD. Sending you mojo, hugs, and prayers.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
10-03-2019, 01:21 PM
That sounds so incredibly hard! Mojo!!!

niccig
10-03-2019, 02:32 PM
In the 5% of time, is she a danger to self or others? Her safety is paramount, lots of mojo you can figure this out to help her stay safe

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

ChicagoNDMom
10-05-2019, 12:06 PM
I am so sorry. Sending mojo and prayers.

melrose7
10-05-2019, 01:30 PM
We’ve done sensory breaks but she doesn’t always know when she is getting overwhelmed. During the 5% she will get aggressive with others but never herself. It is usually hitting others, maybe scratching. And that 5% maybe be spread out a different moments throughout the day.

California
10-05-2019, 02:50 PM
Sending mojo! I really feel for you. It really has surprised me, in my big city, how few school options there are for students needing highly trained support, and seeing a private psychiatrist at our children's hospital can take six months here, too. Sending mojo that you find the right teacher and staff who connect with your child.