PDA

View Full Version : we are moving to san diego -- any relocation tips?

hillview
10-03-2019, 08:50 PM
Welp we are moving to San Diego. Likely the Poway area of 4s ranch area -- both are close to work and seem to have a good school district. My mom will be moving as well -- into an independent living situation. I would love
- any advice on relocations (we will move in June/July)
- any insights into these schools
- anyone know anything about the independent living areas near these areas (I've found 2 online and called both) -- any elderly consultant (does this exist) in the area?

ANYTHING ELSE?

We are excited and anxious. Thanks!

jgenie
10-03-2019, 08:52 PM
No advice but wanted to say congratulations :yay::yay: and best of luck on your next adventure!!

carolinacool
10-03-2019, 09:06 PM
Congrats! How exciting.

petesgirl
10-03-2019, 09:11 PM
I would love to live in that area! Perfect weather year round!

Philly Mom
10-03-2019, 09:16 PM
Congrats!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

SnuggleBuggles
10-03-2019, 09:28 PM
Sending you a PM re. independent living

Kindra178
10-03-2019, 09:29 PM
Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

bcafe
10-03-2019, 09:29 PM
So exciting! Congratulations!

NCGrandma
10-03-2019, 10:00 PM
Wow! That seems really speedy! Congrats!

ETA: how did autocorrect change "speedy" to "prefer"?? Ugh — autocorrect is getting more aggressive...

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

mom2binsd
10-03-2019, 10:01 PM
If you can move as early as possible to allow the kids to get to know kids, also see when school starts, and when other sports have tryouts etc.

Carefully look at access in and out of communities, even going a few miles can take awhile depending on where in the community you live.

It's a great area, have a few friends in RB and Carmel Valley.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mommy111
10-03-2019, 10:53 PM
Congratulations!! Dream city! Enjoy your snow free life....I would move NOW before winter hits or you ca just tell the kids every time there is a snowstorm: well, we will be so DONE with this next year

essnce629
10-04-2019, 01:46 AM
Oh wow congrats!!! How exciting!!!

Have you visited the area yet? Maybe join a private Facebook group for San Diego moms to get your specific questions answered.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

westwoodmom04
10-04-2019, 09:02 AM
Congratulations! Very jealous, enjoy your new adventures!

AnnieW625
10-04-2019, 09:07 AM
Yay! Congratulations! I think Pinay is from that area. School starts in mid August in most of SoCal so you may not have a lot of time in between your move and school starting, but I don’t think that is a bad thing. Let me ask around with my coworkers about some independent living communities. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DualvansMommy
10-04-2019, 12:06 PM
Congratulations!!!! Enjoy your new life out West! I have a friend whose kids go to the Poway school district; 4th and 6th. She’s very happy with it! I’ll PM you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sdjeppa
10-04-2019, 12:08 PM
Congrats! I hope you love it here. I’ll ask around about the independent living places, my Mom has some friends in that part of town. As far as schools, I have friends in both Poway and 4S Ranch, I don’t think you can go wrong anywhere in the area as far as schools, but it might be worth looking at the school district websites to see if any schools have specific programs you might be interested in. PM me if you have any specific questions and I can look into it.

CAFarmGirl
10-04-2019, 01:55 PM
We moved from Maryland to San Diego 8 years ago. Love love love this area! PM me if you have questions.

candaceb
10-04-2019, 02:06 PM
Congrats!
I could swear that I had posted corporate relo tips in the past but it's not coming up in my search.
My number one tip about doing a corporate relo is to make sure that you are there when the estimator comes, and make sure that they see every nook and cranny where you have "stuff". I didn't understand this the first time we did corporate relo, my husband did the estimator tour, and they ended up not being able to get us packed in time for our move date, and had to pull in some local movers to get it done.
Also, get "priority boxes" written in to the contract - they go on the truck last and come off the truck first. If your car is going on the truck, put anything you would need the first night - bedding, vacuum cleaner, etc. in your car and you'll know right where they are when it rolls off the truck. That could replace priority boxes.
And get anything that is the least bit out of the ordinary written down when the estimator comes. Like we had a box spring in our basement that needed to go out to the curb to be thrown away and I got the estimator to put that in the contract.
If you have an option for unpacking, have them unpack the kitchen at a minimum.
If you're still negotiating for the job, see if your mom's stuff can go on the truck with yours - that would need to be in the contract now.
You may not be seeing the estimator for months, but just in case I wanted to get this out now.

urquie
10-04-2019, 02:59 PM
- anyone know anything about the independent living areas near these areas (I've found 2 online and called both) -- any elderly consultant (does this exist) in the area?

La Costa Glen is really, really fantastic! Feel free to ask any questions.
http://www.lacostaglen.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhL_qv6OD5QIVj6DsCh3dvQ7kEAAYASA AEgL8M_D_BwE

ETA: There “sister” health center is also amazing (assisted living, skilled nursing etc.)
http://www.visitglenbrook.com/

TwinFoxes
10-04-2019, 09:34 PM
Congratulations! I think you will be very happy there. It is a great place to raise kids. The lifestyle is very different from where you are now, but I really think you'll like it. So much outdoor recreation!

KpbS
10-04-2019, 10:08 PM
That is very exciting! I hope you guys love it.

I'm surprised they agreed to let you wait until summer and didn't insist on relocation at semester. Best of luck house hunting. :)

georgiegirl
10-04-2019, 10:42 PM
Congrats! How exciting! I don’t have any advice, but I’m jealous of the weather and fish tacos in San Diego.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mommy111
10-04-2019, 10:48 PM
So dying of curiosity, did you buy the house with the pool?

nfceagles
10-05-2019, 03:01 AM
Congrats! How exciting! I don’t have any advice, but I’m jealous of the weather and fish tacos in San Diego.

Mmmmmm. Fish tacos.

hillview
10-05-2019, 07:45 AM
So dying of curiosity, did you buy the house with the pool?
Thank you all! We won't be buying a house until May-ish but am LOOKING a lot!

carolinamama
10-05-2019, 08:29 AM
Congratulations! No advice but wishing you and your family a smooth (as smooth as possible) move!

essnce629
10-05-2019, 03:33 PM
Thank you all! We won't be buying a house until May-ish but am LOOKING a lot!Have you considered renting a house first? That's what I would suggest to anyone moving to CA and is what we did when we moved to LA. It will allow you to become familiar with CA traffic and give you a chance to move schools if you end up not liking your school. We bought our house to be within walking distance to our highly rated public school, but once DS1 was there we realized it wasn't all that great and we ended up moving him to a charter school which is now a 50 minute round trip drive in the mornings. If we were to move to San Diego (where I'm from) I would also want to rent first.

hillview
10-05-2019, 07:11 PM
Have you considered renting a house first? That's what I would suggest to anyone moving to CA and is what we did when we moved to LA. It will allow you to become familiar with CA traffic and give you a chance to move schools if you end up not liking your school. We bought our house to be within walking distance to our highly rated public school, but once DS1 was there we realized it wasn't all that great and we ended up moving him to a charter school which is now a 50 minute round trip drive in the mornings. If we were to move to San Diego (where I'm from) I would also want to rent first.

Oh that is an interesting thought. I plan to rent an apartment for 9 months to scout things out. We will consider renting a house but I dread moving twice!.

mmsmom
10-05-2019, 09:08 PM
Oh that is an interesting thought. I plan to rent an apartment for 9 months to scout things out. We will consider renting a house but I dread moving twice!.

You could rent a furnished apartment and put your stuff in storage (the movers will handle it). Still a pain but not as much as moving twice.

AnnieW625
10-06-2019, 03:11 AM

We are in the same boat next year when we move (to Riverside about an hour north of Poway) as we aren’t sure we want to rent or buy immediately. I would almost be okay renting but the rental market seems to be limited to college students and or is in areas we don’t find desirable. I can’t seem to find any apartments that fit the bill either and we are most likely buying what could be our forever home so we don’t want to rush into a decision. I really don’t want to move twice either.

Percycat
10-07-2019, 11:28 AM

We uses "A Place for Mom" to help us investigate living options for my mother-in-law when she was thinking about relocating to a new state. It's like a real estate agent for senior living options. Facilities signup to participate in the service.... and the decision in part seems to be based on the facilities current waitlist/success in filling rooms without the service. https://c.aplaceformom.com/?&kw=3234-Google_US_Brand_Alpha&kwg=a%20place%20for%20mom&keyword=a%20place%20for%20mom&match=e&device=c&mkwid=&pcrid=319233120652&network=g&account=APFM+Brand+-+US+-+Google&campaignid=1064786878&adgroupid=51184761014&ad_id=319233120652&AdPosition=1t1&geo=9022831&distrib=s&targetID=kwd-296371107811&interest=&ds_rl=1259864&ds_rl=1265127&ds_rl=1259864&gclid=CjwKCAjwxOvsBRAjEiwAuY7L8thlM62saew6ctbKyRHK PrQwl65ckTC_iA95kwIYyHYKJ7txy0P_ZhoC6QUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

pinay
10-07-2019, 06:44 PM
A friend's grandmother lives in this community and speaks highly of it:
https://thegatewayretirement.org/contact-us/

There are probably more senior housing options in Rancho Bernardo than Poway- what level of care are you looking for? We also used A Place for Mom to help us find out about different options available when we were looking for a place for my parents prior to my dad's passing.

From your signature tag, it sounds like you'll have 8th/10th grade kiddos next year? Are there certain things you're looking for in a school? Schools west of the 15 freeway are generally newer and more access to technology. I teach at the newest high school in the Poway District and we have a highly competitive, driven population. Lots of AP classes available, and we run on the trimester schedule, as do Mt. Carmel in Rancho Penasquitos and Poway High in Poway. The other 2 comprehensive high schools, Westview and Rancho Bernardo, run on the quarter system. All of them have their pros and cons, but are generally well regarded. My kids are zoned for Poway HS and I'm perfectly happy at the moment to let them go there, even though I teach in the district- this may change as we get closer to actual decision time, but for now I'm not worried about it.

4S Ranch generally has lots of newer, larger homes which are accompanied by higher HOAs and Mello-Roos (add'l payment to cover cost of creating infrastructure in new communities). Very family friendly with lots of access to parks, hiking trails, various recreational and competitive sports options, etc. There are also a number of memory care facilities in the area, so if you want to be close to that type of facility for your mom, that's something to consider. The middle school options in this area are Oak Valley MS and Design 39 Campus (actually K-8 with a focus on project based learning and using technology to facilitate learning). The high school is Del Norte, although there's a private Christian high school just down the road too if you're considering going the private route.

Poway has a lot of older areas, which also often means larger lot sizes- North Poway is a bit more spread out neighborhoods and generally considered the more desirable part of the city. Homes are generally well maintained, and I'd say there's a lot of pride of ownership. There's 2 middle schools in Poway, Twin Peaks MS and Meadowbrook MS- both are pretty good, my daughter is at Meadowbrook because we found the larger variety of electives available there to be a better fit with what we wanted for her MS experience. Some kids who live in Poway may also be zoned for Bernardo Heights MS, which feeds into Rancho Bernardo HS.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions to the area- I've lived in Poway since 2008 and love it here, so I'm happy to be a local resource if you need one!

arivecchi
10-13-2019, 10:49 AM
Just wanted to say congrats! Sounds like an exciting move! San Diego is awesome. I’m sure you will love it there!