PDA

View Full Version : Is this a food allergy?

AngB
10-05-2019, 08:01 PM
DD just turned 6 months and started solids a few weeks ago. We have only done avocado and banana so far. Tonight after I gave her a small piece of banana in a teether she got small bright red spots around her mouth and cheek. I thought a real food allergy would have a more severe reaction though? No history of food allergies with our other 3 kids or family..4939

smiles33
10-05-2019, 08:03 PM
I would tell your pediatrician and see if they can do testing. It could be a sign of allergies. DD2 (who is allergic to peanuts, fish, and sesame) had red spots on her chin/cheek that I just assumed was strawberry jelly/jam from a PBJ. Daycare called me 2 hours later to say it was still red and we then ordered tests.

marymoo86
10-05-2019, 08:35 PM
Likely due to teether and drool causing reaction. I would wait a few days and stop using the teether. Then give banana again and see.

AngB
10-05-2019, 08:42 PM
Likely due to teether and drool causing reaction. I would wait a few days and stop using the teether. Then give banana again and see.

Thanks, she has been very drooly lately. They have gone away almost entirely in a bit less than an hour with no meds or anything.

doberbrat
10-05-2019, 09:17 PM
That is one adorable baby!!

First reactions can be very mild. So I would def talk to your pedi, but my kids also got similar rashes from drooling. I'd have to cover their faces w/coconut oil or vaseline to keep the drool from sitting on it AND obsessively dry their faces.

At times, it was like having a St. Bernard in the house!

DualvansMommy
10-05-2019, 10:57 PM
It’s mostly likely drool side effects, but do discontinue the food and monitor. DS2 started out very mild, like your DD with his egg allergy 1st time. It gotten progressively worse with 2nd and 3rd incidents before taking him to an allergist. So keep that in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AnnieW625
10-06-2019, 03:03 AM
Dd1’s cheeks looked like this the first time I gave her eggs at just over a year so I honestly stopped giving her eggs just in case. At 13 now she doesn’t like eggs unless we bake with them because I never gave her eggs again until she was like 3 and she didn’t like them then. I would ask a pediatrician or an advice nurse though.

Your baby is adorable by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nfceagles
10-06-2019, 03:12 AM
I think it’s likely just skin irritation. I think the best allergists today would tell you not to stop the food, that that can lead to the development of a FA. So much has changed and they know so much more than when my DS developed his FAs 13 years ago. Of course, keep a careful eye around those foods and maybe keep a food journal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk