PDA

View Full Version : NeuroPysch vs EdPysch

theriviera
10-07-2019, 04:35 PM
Hi -
We have debated getting DD1 tested for a couple of years now. She has an anxiety dx and a spd dx. She takes anxiety meds. She is able to keep it together in school but has a hard time at home.

As I look into this, does anyone know the difference between these 2 types of pyschologists? How does the testing differ? Is one better for certain cases?

Thanks!
Maya

georgiegirl
10-07-2019, 05:15 PM
Tested for what? How did she get the anxiety and SDP diagnosis?

hillview
10-07-2019, 06:50 PM
I have never heard of an Ed Psych. I'd ask what testing they each do.

hbridge
10-07-2019, 06:50 PM
This is my understanding...

The neuropsych is done by a neuropsychologist and is used to diagnose. Sometimes they include education testing, but this is typically NOT covered by insurance.

Education testing can by done through the school and is used to determine IEP eligibility (among other things).

So it depends on what you are looking for.

StantonHyde
10-07-2019, 10:03 PM
Our school district's testing is done in the best interest of the district, not your child. YMMV. We got neuropsych testing done with somebody from whom we knew the district would accept test results. Thus we got an IEP and qualified for scholarship money for private school tuition (that the state gives us, its a long story of the whacked education priorities/implementation in our state!)

We did the testing to get a full picture of what was going on with DS's dyslexia-e.g. its processing speed above all else. The testing was also able to confirm a diagnosis of anxiety and ADD. This allowed us to get the right interventions, accommodations, therapy, and medication for DS.

DS is now a high school sophomore taking 2 AP classes in English and History, Honors Chemistry, on-track math, etc. Early intervention is KEY to success!!!! Do not wait!!

nfowife
10-07-2019, 10:16 PM
I’m a special ed teacher and regularly do educational testing for eligibility for special education services. I would get private testing and then you can bring that to the school for a 504 plan. Is there an educational impact that you believe requires her to receive specialized instruction? If she needs accommodations, then a 504 is the request you want and you don’t even need a formal testing result for that. A simple note from her physician or psychiatrist alluding to her current diagnoses would be sufficient for things like testing accommodations and classroom accommodations.

hillview
10-08-2019, 06:57 AM
This is my understanding...

The neuropsych is done by a neuropsychologist and is used to diagnose. Sometimes they include education testing, but this is typically NOT covered by insurance.

Education testing can by done through the school and is used to determine IEP eligibility (among other things).

So it depends on what you are looking for.
oh well if that is the case the neuropsych is the way to go. We have had both a private neuro and school evals and the private neuro was expensive, covered vastly more tests and had more specific and more in general recommendations for accommodations.

dogmom
10-08-2019, 09:08 AM
If at all possible do both. You can request educational testing from the school. They will do some psych testing, but not as in depth or detailed as neuropsych. If you request testing from school they need to do it within a certain time frame. I had to wait 10 mo for neuropsych testing for my DD. She had anxiety disorder and an IEP from testing 2 years before at school. The insurance covered the neuropsych, for $350 extra the included some additional evaluations in the assessment. The testing took most of the day. The school testing detected some deficits. The hospital based neuropsych was more helpful in breaking those down more finely. Also, their recommendations were more specific. They also had more of the latest research and insight.

Kindra178
10-08-2019, 09:33 AM
There are hospital and private practice edpsych folks that do the same testing as a neuropsych. They really get the education side of things, especially the experienced ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)