PDA

View Full Version : Another work pants and shoes thread! Please help :)

WatchingThemGrow
10-08-2019, 08:12 PM
I’m a size 12ish almost 50 years old, about 145lbs, 5’6” and desperately needing some suggestions. I like midrise, somewhat stretchy, and basic pants that will last for years. I teach small groups of elem. kids or do long term sub jobs. I grabbed some old Navy Pixies and a pair of rockstar jeans, but after getting stuck 5x in the pixie fastener, they are going back. I tried Loft tonight and the 12 jeans were too big, and the 10 maroon soft pants were just meh. Got anything you just LOVE right now for everyday pants that aren’t too stylish?

Also shoe/booties. I own some Tom’s Deia in black but am in need of a brown/camel/tan color. Needs to be comfortable. Love merrell, Birkenstock, dansko type shoes, but end up wearing clunky Sorel snowboard looking boots all winter because my feet are cold. Please share what you’re trying or eying that’s comfy, warm, and cute-ish. I tried some camel colored flat Sorels at Nordstrom just now but wasn’t awed by them. Had my family been more supportive, I would have done it, but they said the boots looked like my LLB slippers.

Thanks for links! [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mommy_Mea
10-08-2019, 08:21 PM
My favorite work pants are Loft Marisa Skinny. Perfect length, I can dress up or down, and I find they don't tend to get baggy/stretched out. I own them in many many colors [emoji16]

https://www.loft.com/skinny-ankle-pants/494936

For booties, I wear both of these a lot during the fall/winter:

Chaco Women's HOPI Hiking Boot, Rust, 6 M US https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0196ZSUX8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_FEsNDbS2T6EST

Rockport Cobb Hill Women's Genevieve Boot, Almond, 11 W US https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AK5OH3U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_sFsNDbRRYVDJC

Kindra178
10-08-2019, 09:54 PM
Pants:

Banana Republic Sloan (had for years and have numerous pairs)
Beta brand yoga pants bootcut (just got)
Spanx Flares

Also: Check out Athleta! Bettonas are back and just as comfortable. They have a few wide leg / flare leg options that are meant for work and play. They even have a work tab now where those pants are set apart.

I feel like loft work pants (Julie are my style) only look good for one season.

Re: shoes, I love my Dansko Maria boots. They are just the best.

For this time of year, I’m in Dansko Lisanne flats, Dansko Malin and Sam and various other Mary Jane styles (Mary Janes are very in right now).

Overall, I love Dansko boots. There are some waterproof options new this year that I haven’t explored but expect them to be life changing!

I love Merrell Sugarbush. I have last year’s brown version and I want to get the black this year on Black Friday.

What Sorels you tried on are very in but not supportive at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

StantonHyde
10-08-2019, 10:11 PM
I love Born ankle high boots (not the low booties, they come up over your ankles). They are very comfortable and supportive. I wear Dansko clogs all winter but with wider pant legs or jeans. i wear a size 10 shoe, so with narrower pants, my feet look huge in Danskos. Thus the Born boots.

mommy111
10-08-2019, 10:42 PM
The Costco pull on pointe pants are $14, last forever, have great material and look fantabulous in a work environment if skinny pants are your thing

WatchingThemGrow
10-09-2019, 04:05 AM
The Costco pull on pointe pants are $14, last forever, have great material and look fantabulous in a work environment if skinny pants are your thing

These ARE my thing, but did you get this year’s batch? My shins are rather thin, but the skinny part is so tight, unlike previous years... in the maroon. Haven’t tried the black, but I almost cried when they didn’t feel perfect. I was counting on them!

twowhat?
10-09-2019, 10:41 AM
I've had really great luck with Athleta, though it takes a little time to figure out what style will work (you have to keep an eye out for sale, read reviews, because Athleta changes many of their styles pretty frequently). I have "street tight" types of pants that totally pass as skinny black work pants with the added benefit of a stash pocket for phones, and I also have trouser style pants that totally pass for work pants. FS/FR makes it worthwhile to look.

For something dressier, I really like the Cameron ponte pant from J Crew. It's a straight, almost-skinny leg.

Banana Republic has a whole line of machine washable suiting, including slim fit styles. I have a suit set and LOVE it.

Costco has the Tuff Athletics tights at my store - I've found that these are very similar in quality to Athleta, with a thicker fabric. With the right long top and shoes, the black tights could totally pass as casual work pants AND they have great stash pockets for your phone. I didn't need more black pants so I have them in the blue camo pattern and really like them - they're thick and warm. Can't attest to whether they will last for years - in general these types of pants don't as the fabric starts getting pilly and snaggy with age. But for that price...

Shoes - I have really finicky feet and they do very well in Born brand boots. And I'll also throw out there that they also do really well in Rothy's loafers (which won't fit your needs if you need warm...but they are VERY comfy, washable, come in lots of colors, and are perfect work shoes!). Rothy's recently came out with a booties style. I don't know that I like the look of them though...

SnuggleBuggles
10-09-2019, 11:12 AM
Bummer the Costco ones are a dud this year. They were great year one but fit has been weird since for me too.

Another vote for Athleta.

WatchingThemGrow
10-09-2019, 11:52 AM
Bummer the Costco ones are a dud this year. They were great year one but fit has been weird since for me too.

Another vote for Athleta.

Hopeful news: we have both Costco and Sam’s, and Sam’s had some Seven ponte pants that seemed promising, and they look/feel just like the ones upthread. I grabbed 3 pairs in a deep blue, maroon, and black. We shall see!

SnuggleBuggles
10-09-2019, 01:07 PM
Lands End has some good looking options too.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

WatchingThemGrow
10-09-2019, 03:54 PM
Update: the Seven Ponte pants at Sam’s were $14.99 and are a good fit! Now to wear them somewhere I can try on some more boots. Tried a few with kids in tow today, but the local store only had Dansko Lia in my size, and I wasn’t ready to commit $185 to them just yet. I’ll keep at it! Some Merrell Kassie boots are on the way from amazon.

Which color is in this year or most versatile for navy, maroon, and gray pants?

Melaine
10-09-2019, 05:02 PM
Update: the Seven Ponte pants at Sam’s were $14.99 and are a good fit! Now to wear them somewhere I can try on some more boots. Tried a few with kids in tow today, but the local store only had Dansko Lia in my size, and I wasn’t ready to commit $185 to them just yet. I’ll keep at it! Some Merrell Kassie boots are on the way from amazon.

Everyone says taupe booties are in. Someone upthread suggested cobb hill booties and i love them also, made by New Balance and feel it!

smiles33
10-09-2019, 05:59 PM
I just got some cute Blondo waterproof black suede wedge booties. Super comfortable and wore them on a travel day all through the airport with lots of walking!

mommy111
10-10-2019, 01:16 AM

good to know! Haven’t gotten my Costco ones this year!!

hellokitty
10-10-2019, 07:12 AM
I got the same thing at Sam's Club (we don't have a costco), the brand is "7 Seven." I just got a pair about a month ago, it's like wearing a thicker version of leggings with the pocket and look of pants. My coworker wanted to know where I got them. They are comfortable and don't stretch out as much as some other skinny pants.