PDA

View Full Version : Anyone dress their kids in the next days clothes instead of PJs?

bisous
10-12-2019, 03:34 PM
I’m considering this with almost 6yo DD! She is not a morning person. For the past two weeks I’ve wakened her ten minutes before leaving by putting on her clothes (like she’s a baby!) and while it’s been efficient and there have been less tears, I feel ridiculous doing so! I’m wondering if anyone has been successful putting on clean clothes the night before. If I did that I’d only have to do her hair, feed her breakfast and put on shoes!

Our biggest issue is that DS2 and DS3 go with DD to the same school for drop off. They are generally on time but DD almost always holds them up and it just doesn’t seem fair. Would love to hear your thoughts!

BunnyBee
10-12-2019, 03:48 PM
I have tossed the uncooperative kid in the car and let the others be on time and given her the choice of dressing quickly in the car or going in school in PJs. Mine spill breakfast on themselves at least half of the time, so they eat before they change into uniforms. If it would work for you, do it.

StantonHyde
10-12-2019, 03:58 PM
I dressed DS until he was almost 9 for this reason!!! Whatever works!!

PunkyBoo
10-12-2019, 04:06 PM
DS2 sleeps in next days clothes on school nights. I started that at a co-workers suggestion, because it worked for her daughter. We've been doing that over 2 years now, after YEARS of nightmare mornings. It eases the transition between "I'm cozy in my bed" and "I have to get ready for school". If everyone is still running late, I'll put DS2's socks and shoes on him and pack his breakfast in to-go containers to eat in the car. He's almost 11. Like PP said, whatever works. I rest assured that I will not all be doing these things when he leaves for college, so for now, who cares?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Dayzy
10-12-2019, 04:08 PM
My kids tend to sweat in their sleep so I feel like the clothes would be gross. If one of mine starts dragging their heels getting ready in the morning I just set the alarm earlier and get nagging. Currently the alarm goes off at 6:20 for a 7:20 bus pickup.

doberbrat
10-12-2019, 04:55 PM
I have occasionally. I also used to let dd2 sleep in the clothes she wore till she got too old/stinky to do that. I've also made my kids go to school wearing pjs w/o breakfast. I figured peer pressure/embarrassment would help.

I wont dress my kids but thats me.

We are not morning people here and struggle greatly w/mornings.... myself included.

Globetrotter
10-12-2019, 05:07 PM
We used to do that! Whatever works.

Philly Mom
10-12-2019, 05:10 PM
Been doing it for years. Amazing. Both my kids wear clothes every night but Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

TwinFoxes
10-12-2019, 05:20 PM
I had one 8am class my entire college career. I slept in sweats every night before that class. I was not six-years-old, so I think it's totally age-appropriate for your DD! In fact, she may be advanced, she's doing college-level activities. :D

PZMommy
10-12-2019, 05:26 PM
Nope. My boys get too sweaty at night. They prefer to sleep in very little clothing. Their clothes would be a sweaty stinky mess. I have threatened to drag them to school in their jammies if they can't get dressed quickly enough.

DualvansMommy
10-12-2019, 07:01 PM
I would ha w totally done it if my kids always held us up on constant basis to catching the bus! But as it is, my one and only rule for every morning is before they can get to do their favorite activity whether playing indoor soccer, watching their limited screen time on tv or play on their iPad is complete their dress, are breakfast and groomed themselves.

They don’t have to catch the bus until 8:40 and they’re generally up anywhere from 7-7:30, so lots of time. But as it is, they get hot easily at nights and would sweat their clothes! As it is they just sleep in their boxers or shorts most nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pinkmomagain
10-12-2019, 07:02 PM
I totally did this when my youngest was that age and it was the BEST! She still is very very slow, but has obviously gotten better.

California
10-12-2019, 09:40 PM
Go for it! My mom used to do this with my youngest brothers. They were not, and still aren't, morning people. It made everyone happier.

I could see my own younger DD doing this if she didn't tend to get hot in her sleep. Play clothes are pretty close to PJs in terms of comfort!

carolinacool
10-12-2019, 11:13 PM
I have a coworker who did this. It was always a bit odd to me because her kids wore uniforms to school: polo shirts and khaki shorts or pants. It always seemed like it would be a bit stiff and uncomfortable to sleep in, plus those are clothes that can get really wrinkly. But I guess it worked for them.

gatorsmom
10-12-2019, 11:30 PM
I dressed DS until he was almost 9 for this reason!!! Whatever works!!

I totally agree. At some point, OP, I expect your daughter will care more about how she looks and smells in the morning and will want to shower and choose her own clothes, do her hair etc. It can’t last forever right?

Liziz
10-13-2019, 09:46 AM
Yes!!! I did it for about a year and a half when DD1 was super uncooperative in the morning and it saved my sanity! It felt a little odd at first but it made mornings so immensely much easier. I just made sure she had clean undies on at night as we put on the new clothes. Do it!

StantonHyde
10-13-2019, 11:07 PM
Just so you know--DS is now a sophomore in HS. He gets himself up early and drives to school a good hour early. He uses that time to get things done in the morning at school. So don't worry that you will dress her forever!! Even my non-morning person child, DD, now gets herself up and out the door for a 6:45 bus--all by herself (she's a freshman) I wake up at 7 and everyone is gone. It is a true miracle!!!!!!!!!

KpbS
10-13-2019, 11:10 PM
We have on occasion when we have to be out early or for DD who wants to play in the mornings instead of getting ready, lol.

MSWR0319
10-14-2019, 07:59 AM
my 7 year old asked if he could do this at the beginning of the school year. He’s been doing it ever since!

AnnieW625
10-14-2019, 09:06 AM
Nope I have never done it unless it is pajama day at school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hbridge
10-14-2019, 02:21 PM
I would be really careful with this one. At this age, you are setting the routine for the future. Think about what you want the kids doing in the morning when they are 10, 12, 18... That is the routine you should be working towards. It may be rough for a few months, but it will be worth the rough few months to instill the routine.

That being said, we move the wakeup time as needed to make sure everything gets done with a little time to spare. If things are rushed and stressed, I add 10 minutes on the start end...

SnuggleBuggles
10-14-2019, 05:01 PM
I would be really careful with this one. At this age, you are setting the routine for the future. Think about what you want the kids doing in the morning when they are 10, 12, 18... That is the routine you should be working towards. It may be rough for a few months, but it will be worth the rough few months to instill the routine.

That being said, we move the wakeup time as needed to make sure everything gets done with a little time to spare. If things are rushed and stressed, I add 10 minutes on the start end...

End of the day though, is it really a big deal if it becomes a habit for a few years?

RedSuedeShoes
10-14-2019, 05:26 PM
Yes, my two youngest have done this for years. It works great for us, and I never have to buy/wash/dry/fold PJs. And don't worry, at some point they will (probably) want to stop doing it. For my DD (9th grader) that happened towards the end of last year.

hbridge
10-14-2019, 05:50 PM
End of the day though, is it really a big deal if it becomes a habit for a few years?

It depends completely on the child. For one of mine, change is VERY difficult! Once the routine is established, it is set, but to change it can take YEARS!

SnuggleBuggles
10-14-2019, 06:03 PM
It depends completely on the child. For one of mine, change is VERY difficult! Once the routine is established, it is set, but to change it can take YEARS!

I understand. I just meant that there are worse habits. [emoji4] if it works for a kiddo to get dressed at night, rock on.

lizzywednesday
10-14-2019, 06:11 PM
I always see this suggestion for helping mornings go easier, and if it'll work for your family, go for it!

(DD sweats too much overnight to make this feasible, so we have a multiple alarm system - "wake up," "brush teeth/get dressed," and "leave for the bus." It works for us.)

Philly Mom
10-14-2019, 06:27 PM
I understand. I just meant that there are worse habits. [emoji4] if it works for a kiddo to get dressed at night, rock on.

I was thinking the same thing. If my kids go to college wearing their clothes for the next day...awesome. Maybe they won’t be late to class [emoji12]. I assume at some point my kids will insist on wearing something different to bed but for now, I am thrilled I never have to argue with kids about time in the morning.

MSWR0319
10-14-2019, 08:57 PM
I was thinking the same thing. If my kids go to college wearing their clothes for the next day...awesome. Maybe they won’t be late to class [emoji12]. I assume at some point my kids will insist on wearing something different to bed but for now, I am thrilled I never have to argue with kids about time in the morning.

:yeahthat:

I'd much rather my 7 year old get an extra 20 minutes of sleep in the morning than me having to wake him up early to compensate for the time it takes him to get dressed. He's still learning a routine by brushing his teeth, going to the bathroom, putting shoes on, etc. It's better than me having to argue with him to hurry up in the morning and making the day start off not so fun.

azzeps
10-15-2019, 01:47 AM
I miss the days when my son would sleep in his clothes!!! It was so great! He could take his time with breakfast and I could focus on getting the older one ready. He very rarely is able to dress himself, unless I help him. I guess he just likes sleeping in undies better.

petesgirl
10-15-2019, 07:03 PM
I remember listening to an interview with Ann Romney and she mentioned doing this with all her boys.

It would never work for us because a) my kids are early risers and have plenty of time and b) my kids insist on sleeping in undies only. They have too many sensory issues.

citymama
10-21-2019, 02:44 AM
My kids would wear PJs all the time instead of real clothes, there is NO touching the sacredness of PJs! :rotflmao:

So the answer is no, except a couple of times with very early flights.

jgenie
10-21-2019, 03:25 AM
My kids would wear PJs all the time instead of real clothes, there is NO touching the sacredness of PJs! :rotflmao:

So the answer is no, except a couple of times with very early flights.

This is my guys exactly!! We change into pjs when we walk in the door and yes, my guys will often be playing outside in pjs. I make them change to clean pjs if they wear pjs outside. :)

zukeypur
10-21-2019, 10:09 PM
I had no idea this was a thing.

We always just made the kids go to bed 5 minutes early for every minute they didn’t get up. DD1 was the worst. #2&3 like less chaos, so they get up with plenty of time to spare.

Kindra178
10-22-2019, 08:24 AM
We don’t do that but I think it’s a great idea. Like twinfoxes and others have said, she won’t always do this!