PDA

View Full Version : “Supper” meal ideas?

bisous
10-12-2019, 03:37 PM
I think I’m going to try eating dinner at 3:00 when the kids get home from school. They’re famished and hardly eat at school at all. DH gets home closer to 7:00. And HE is famished. I think I might be able to get my kids to eat essentially a second dinner at that time. It would be less than an hour before bed. Any ideas what that second meal could comprise?

doberbrat
10-12-2019, 07:20 PM
I have good friends who eat between 3-4 when everyone gets home from school. DH works from home so they dont eat a 2nd supper, but before bed they have cereal, yogurt, popcorn, sandwich, soup etc. A solid snack basically.

Could you eat dinner after school and leave a plate for dh in the fridge? cooking 2 meals so close together would make me crazy.

I also find my kids do better if they have a good breakfast. Eggs, giant bowl of oatmeal etc

Mommy_Mea
10-12-2019, 08:05 PM
This is what I would recommend, otherwise you are making dinner twice. When we eat early dinner or need a quick snack before bedtime, we usually do fruit and yogurt.
I have good friends who eat between 3-4 when everyone gets home from school. DH works from home so they dont eat a 2nd supper, but before bed they have cereal, yogurt, popcorn, sandwich, soup etc. A solid snack basically.

Could you eat dinner after school and leave a plate for dh in the fridge? cooking 2 meals so close together would make me crazy.

I also find my kids do better if they have a good breakfast. Eggs, giant bowl of oatmeal etc

DualvansMommy
10-12-2019, 08:07 PM
Would the 2nd dinner be for DH and kids who are hungry again after the 3pm dinner? Or just Dh?

That is DS1 pretty much 3-4 evenings after school with his soccer and Taewonko activities. They usually last from 50-80 mins, so he gets home around 7:30 to 8 hungry. I often feed him a sandwich of PB& J with side of sliced apples, cut up cucumbers or celery. Now that fall is here with colder temps, he’s veering into my homemade batches of soup I keep in freezer. Italian wedding soup, chicken tortilla soup, chicken noodle, or wonton soup, and any other tomato or light broth based soups. He’s not fond of the heavy cream soups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

StantonHyde
10-12-2019, 09:34 PM
DD eats 2 dinners- one at 3 and one at 7 or 8. She doesn’t eat more than a granola bar for breakfast and she doesn’t eat snug lunch.

KpbS
10-14-2019, 03:04 PM
Soups, salads/veggie appetizers maybe with dips?, and sandwiches

gatorsmom
10-14-2019, 03:12 PM
I just posted this idea in a thread last week. Look for my post at the end of the thread. This has been working well for us. It gets the kids cooking! Hth

https://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?507254-Almost-tween-after-school-snack-ideas