PDA

View Full Version : Panera Mac & Cheese exposed!

TwinFoxes
10-15-2019, 09:36 AM
In case you're not familiar, an employee "exposed" Panera on TikTok for using frozen individual servings of mac and cheese that they heat in boiling water. Did anyone actually think Panera was cooking up mac and cheese from scratch in their kitchens? I assumed it was pre-made in some way. Is this really scandalous? The most scandalous thing to me is the amount of plastic they're using.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/2019/10/14/woman-says-she-was-fired-over-tiktok-video-exposing-panera-breads-use-frozen-mac-cheese/

SnuggleBuggles
10-15-2019, 09:55 AM
No chain restaurant is really doing anything more than that. And plenty of non-chain restaurants buy ready to heat stuff from places like Sysco. Surprising that people don't know that.

carolinacool
10-15-2019, 10:00 AM
Agreed. I don't really like Panera, so I don't go very often. But I remember a few years ago, I wanted one of the paninis, but I didn't want one of the ingredients — probably onions or peppers or something. They told me they came already prepared and they couldn't take anything off. I don't know if they were frozen and they just threw them on the griddle or what.

I think the problem with Panera is they have been on the "Clean and Fresh" campaign the past few years. But yeah, nobody's grandma is in the back making up batches of mac and cheese.

twowhat?
10-15-2019, 10:13 AM
I'm not surprised it's just heated up. I'm still gonna eat it, I like the adult versions where they toss bacon or avocado or whatever on it and when you travel for work, that pre-made stuff is a consistently safe choice when you need a quick meal!

That TikTok is pretty hilarious though...the guy laughing in the background...

SnuggleBuggles
10-15-2019, 10:17 AM
Agreed. I don't really like Panera, so I don't go very often. But I remember a few years ago, I wanted one of the paninis, but I didn't want one of the ingredients — probably onions or peppers or something. They told me they came already prepared and they couldn't take anything off. I don't know if they were frozen and they just threw them on the griddle or what.

I think the problem with Panera is they have been on the "Clean and Fresh" campaign the past few years. But yeah, nobody's grandma is in the back making up batches of mac and cheese.

Huh. I get things customized all the time. Their app is one of my favorite things. You can swap out/ modify everything so easily. And then swoop in and get your stuff off the shelf to leave. They even have the option to order from your table and have delivered to your table. I know other places offer similar but Panera is our go-to when we need to get food out.

khm
10-15-2019, 10:37 AM
Huh. I get things customized all the time. Their app is one of my favorite things. You can swap out/ modify everything so easily. And then swoop in and get your stuff off the shelf to leave. They even have the option to order from your table and have delivered to your table. I know other places offer similar but Panera is our go-to when we need to get food out.

The paninis aren't a regular item, I don't think. They seem to rotate in and out, I'd not be shocked if they were pre-made and grilled up quick on the panini press.

It is HIGHLY packaged stuff though. They dole out each ingredient from tons of small packs for each thing they make. The amount of waste has to be astronomical.

Source, my office is above a Panera and though not my fav place, it is (too) convenient. I do customize a lot of things (gimme a bit extra sauce on my Thai Chicken Salad plz!!), but I honestly can't say if I've attempted to customize a panini.

I've had the mac and cheese, pretty tasty for frozen from a plastic bag, I'll give 'em that.

SnuggleBuggles
10-15-2019, 10:42 AM
Pulled out my Panera app. You can customize the paninis. :)

khm
10-15-2019, 10:57 AM

Hmm, I don't see any Paninis at all on mine. :)

SnuggleBuggles
10-15-2019, 11:03 AM
Hmm, I don't see any Paninis at all on mine. :)

They are listed under sandwiches. The Frontega Chicken, for example, is a panini.

newnana
10-15-2019, 11:06 AM
It's not a secret, definitely not scandalous. DD is an extremely finicky eater. When they first changed to this version of mac and cheese years ago i asked how it was prepared and the lovely people fixing us told me this exact thing. If DD will eat it, I really don't care because I can't even get the kid to eat junk food, so I'm happy with anything she will actually consume.

khm
10-15-2019, 11:19 AM
They are listed under sandwiches. The Frontega Chicken, for example, is a panini.

Yes, but at times in the past, they have had sandwiches called (Something) Panini. They were square and have the stripes like from a panini press, not just "toasted".

I don't see any of those at the moment. Maybe THAT is what PP tried to customize and couldn't? Or, maybe they allow it now in general but didn't in the past?

SnuggleBuggles
10-15-2019, 11:24 AM
Yes, but at times in the past, they have had sandwiches called (Something) Panini. They were square and have the stripes like from a panini press, not just "toasted".

I don't see any of those at the moment. Maybe THAT is what PP tried to customize and couldn't? Or, maybe they allow it now in general but didn't in the past?

I think if it's been a few years then things could have just changed.

carolinacool
10-15-2019, 11:32 AM

This was a few years ago. I'm sure they have updated their processes since then. I just don't care for Panera. It seems really pricey for somewhat meh food. I do like their bakery items.

ETA: Yes, this was a panini with the stripes. I don't see them on my local menu, either, right now. I liked them because at least they were hot. I'm just not a fan of cold deli meat sandwiches.

I'm curious about the mac and cheese. Being from the south, I prefer mac and cheese with another layer of cheese baked on top. We are healthy eaters in these here parts. lol

div_0305
10-15-2019, 11:58 AM
I don't think most consumers are as savvy as this thread and the posts above show the BBB members to be :jammin:. I think a lot of people will be surprised, but maybe not enough to not buy the mac and cheese or question how their food at any cheap or upscale restaurant is made. The food business rests of getting the cheapest foods, so pre-packaged and prepared foods are key to their business model. We learned this the hard way years ago at a very popular local restaurant--they got so much frozen and canned stuff from Thailand and China, and had no idea what was in the ingredients (although they claimed they did). My family member had a serious allergic reaction to undisclosed egg proteins. Almost nothing was prepared on site from scratch apart from the rice I guess.

MMMommy
10-15-2019, 06:09 PM
My nearby Costco sells the Panera mac and cheese!

trales
10-15-2019, 06:21 PM
our target sells panera mac and cheese in the fridge section. Same with all their soups. For less than you pay at panera.

mikala
10-15-2019, 08:57 PM
Totally off topic but this thread reminded me of a podcast about Panera: https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/business-insider/household-name/e/58215969?autoplay=true

reneed
10-15-2019, 09:29 PM
Panera Mac and cheese, and their soups are made by this company http://blountfinefoods.com/
If you’re in this area they have huge sales frequently. You can also walk into their store and stock up!

mom2binsd
10-15-2019, 09:58 PM
Did anyone really think they cooked it made to order in 3 minutes???

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jenstring95
10-15-2019, 10:17 PM
I think if it's been a few years then things could have just changed.

I think this is true because I remember the first time I ever went to Panera (many years ago) I tried to customize a sandwich and was told I couldn’t because they are pre-made. Since then I have customized my orders, though, so they must have found a work around somehow or changed how their food is prepared.

Myira
10-15-2019, 10:33 PM
I agree with PP that said not really surprising. I rarely step into Panera, nothing on the menu that I can really eat and full my tummy with as a vegan. Their black bean soup was the only thing I ever ate but that I bet was high in sodium or atleast it tasted salty to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Myira
10-15-2019, 10:41 PM
It’s so true that commercially prepared food is very unlikely to be healthful. If it truly is, it’s going to be expensive and only targeted and marketed to a health conscious demographic that don’t mind the price and the taste.
It also always strikes me how much more time it takes to wash and chop fresh produce. Time people don’t have but it’s crucial to your health. Also striking is the lack of services available as regards to trimmed and chopped fresh produce or freshly made recipes. May be it’s changing slowly and with enough consumers there will be a market for this. I hope something changes by the time our kids are adults!

twowhat?
10-16-2019, 08:42 AM
My nearby Costco sells the Panera mac and cheese!

our target sells panera mac and cheese in the fridge section. Same with all their soups. For less than you pay at panera.

I had no idea. Do they taste the same as in the restaurant? Because there are definitely days I get a "panera mac and cheese craving" :)

It’s so true that commercially prepared food is very unlikely to be healthful. If it truly is, it’s going to be expensive and only targeted and marketed to a health conscious demographic that don’t mind the price and the taste.
It also always strikes me how much more time it takes to wash and chop fresh produce. Time people don’t have but it’s crucial to your health. Also striking is the lack of services available as regards to trimmed and chopped fresh produce or freshly made recipes. May be it’s changing slowly and with enough consumers there will be a market for this. I hope something changes by the time our kids are adults!

For sure. The time it takes to prep fresh produce is totally a roadblock...meats and fish can be prepped in a fraction of the time but veggies, nope! It just takes extra time. Somewhat related to the other thread about eating dinner/suppers early - having kids help cut actually does help reduce the time and depending on the ages of your kids, they seem to LOVE knife work. Mine will happily help chop onions, celery, carrots, and other veggies (though I think what they really like is that they get to be in the kitchen with me).

TwinFoxes
10-16-2019, 09:29 AM
Also striking is the lack of services available as regards to trimmed and chopped fresh produce or freshly made recipes. May be it’s changing slowly and with enough consumers there will be a market for this. I hope something changes by the time our kids are adults!

I know it seems like I'm a buzz marketer for Wegmans, but Wegmans has a huge selection of fresh veggies chopped in store. Of course there's a premium, but it's not outlandishly priced IMO (and there's usually a coupon.) Fresh zoodles, asparagus, stir fry veggies, squash, so much more.

After I posted this thread I remembered I was shocked that Dunkin doesn't make donuts in-store. I had never been to one before. They are not common in California, and the local donut shops in California make their own donuts. And so does Krispy Kreme. Anyway, it was late morning after a doctor's appointment, and my kids wanted donuts. Imagine our surprise when we were told they were out of everything. Like an idiot I said "how long until they're ready?" thinking they were whipping up a batch. :) So, I've still never had a Dunkin Donut.

carolinacool
10-16-2019, 09:34 AM
After I posted this thread I remembered I was shocked that Dunkin doesn't make donuts in-store. I had never been to one before. They are not common in California, and the local donut shops in California make their own donuts. And so does Krispy Kreme. Anyway, it was late morning after a doctor's appointment, and my kids wanted donuts. Imagine our surprise when we were told they were out of everything. Like an idiot I said "how long until they're ready?" thinking they were whipping up a batch. :) So, I've still never had a Dunkin Donut.

I'm pretty sure they used to be. I'm old enough to remember the "Time to make the doughnuts" guy in the commercial. I occasionally still say that when I'm dragging out of bed in the morning. :rotflmao:

Dunkin' isn't anywhere near my hometown. The first opened maybe 15 years ago in my current city. I have NOT been impressed. But OMG, a box of hot glazed Krispy Kremes. One of the times they make them is between 5 and 7 p.m., just when most folks are getting home from work. I'm usually on a tight schedule to pick DS up from aftercare, but boy, that red light makes it tempting to stop.

SnuggleBuggles
10-16-2019, 09:50 AM
They do bake them at Dunkin. As in heat up ready made stuff. 2 ways I know- they had to “cook” my donuts for a meeting and I asked how long it’d take- 15 seconds (or something else equally absurd). 🤣 second was when the hybrid Dunkin/ Baskin Robbins has no donuts because their baker called off sick. [emoji6]

klwa
10-16-2019, 12:13 PM
I know it seems like I'm a buzz marketer for Wegmans, but Wegmans has a huge selection of fresh veggies chopped in store. Of course there's a premium, but it's not outlandishly priced IMO (and there's usually a coupon.) Fresh zoodles, asparagus, stir fry veggies, squash, so much more.

Actually, it depends on the Krispy Kreme now, too. In the Raleigh, NC area, the main shop cooks all the doughnuts & ships them to the smaller stores. Then those stores run the regular doughnuts through the glaze machine as they're ordered so they're "hot", but not the same as at the Peace Street store. (This does not stop me from buying them from the smaller stores.)

smilequeen
10-16-2019, 01:17 PM
Shocking ;P

I’m going to guess that the level of overlap between people who thought it was made from scratch or something and those that actually care if it is is minuscule.

I’d still rather go there if we are in a rush than McDonalds or such (ick).

NCGrandma
10-16-2019, 02:20 PM
Actually, it depends on the Krispy Kreme now, too. In the Raleigh, NC area, the main shop cooks all the doughnuts & ships them to the smaller stores. Then those stores run the regular doughnuts through the glaze machine as they're ordered so they're "hot", but not the same as at the Peace Street store. (This does not stop me from buying them from the smaller stores.)

So this explains why the Peace Street store is the destination for the "fun run" (or whatever it’s called)! For the uninitiated, this involves running from the N.C. State campus to the Krispy Kreme store, wolfing down a dozen doughnuts, and running back. And yes, it has the expected side effects. I would hate to live on the route...

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

TwinFoxes
10-16-2019, 03:08 PM
They do bake them at Dunkin. As in heat up ready made stuff. 2 ways I know- they had to “cook” my donuts for a meeting and I asked how long it’d take- 15 seconds (or something else equally absurd). 藍 second was when the hybrid Dunkin/ Baskin Robbins has no donuts because their baker called off sick. [emoji6]

Not the one I went to. They straight up told me "we don't make them here, we won't get any until tomorrow."

I've never lived anyplace with a lot of Krispy Kremes. There were only two that I knew in LA (I'm sure there were more, but LA is huge). They made the donuts in store. And there's only one near me now, and they make them in store. I have to pretend that Krispy Kreme doesn't exist in this world. :) Warm donuts are a serious temptation to me, it's been years since I've had one though. There's a place called Duck Donuts in the Outer Banks of NC that makes to-order donuts, you pick the flavors and toppings and it comes out nice and warm. Well, there's now one about 15 minutes from my house here. I don't even want to start down the slippery slope of going there even once!

khm
10-16-2019, 03:32 PM
Not the one I went to. They straight up told me "we don't make them here, we won't get any until tomorrow."

I've never lived anyplace with a lot of Krispy Kremes. There were only two that I knew in LA (I'm sure there were more, but LA is huge). They made the donuts in store. And there's only one near me now, and they make them in store. I have to pretend that Krispy Kreme doesn't exist in this world. :) Warm donuts are a serious temptation to me, it's been years since I've had one though. There's a place called Duck Donuts in the Outer Banks of NC that makes to-order donuts, you pick the flavors and toppings and it comes out nice and warm. Well, there's now one about 15 minutes from my house here. I don't even want to start down the slippery slope of going there even once!

I lived in KC when the first one came in, all the transplants were so excited. I couldn't stand even the smell of them. I guess I'm not a glazed fan. The thought of eating 12 of these and running.....

AnnieW625
10-16-2019, 03:50 PM
I am in the Long Beach, CA area and the one surviving Kristy Kreme shop in my city bakes donuts onsite. In the height of KK fandom about 10-12 years ago there were 4-5 in my area. I actually like their chocolate glazed donut over the regular glazed, but I don’t go there that often and I can’t remember the last time I actually had one. I like local donut shops, but recently had the best moist cake donut at Randy’s (which is a small LA chain).

I refuse to look at the container of icing ingredients at Costco which is in a giant tub underneath where the bread is....it isn’t refrigerated so it can’t mean there is anything decent in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgenie
10-16-2019, 04:07 PM
Warm Krispy Kreme are my absolute favorite!! I won’t eat them cold but hot ... pure heaven. Thankfully we don’t have any near us.

wendibird22
10-16-2019, 04:13 PM
Not surprised by Panera. I've always assumed most chain restaurant food it boil in a bag/heat n eat stuff. They need the consistency restaurant to restaurant. They can't afford to pay real chefs. They can't afford the time it would take to prepare and cook and still make a profit at their prices. A former secretary had a 2nd job at Applebees and she told me that the only thing they cooked was the steaks. Chicken and other items were all heat and eat products but they actually cooked the red meat because people could order their preferred doneness (med rare, well done, etc).

DualvansMommy
10-16-2019, 05:26 PM
Warm Krispy Kreme are my absolute favorite!! I won’t eat them cold but hot ... pure heaven. Thankfully we don’t have any near us.

I have a sweet tooth, but to my surprise I always found KK to be way too sweet for me. I never really cared for donuts cuz it was either too dry or too sweet, until we found a local donut shop at our beach vacation spot. So now we always get a box of 6 from there, good thing it’s only once a year and 2.5 hours drive from me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DualvansMommy
10-16-2019, 05:28 PM
Not surprised by Panera. I've always assumed most chain restaurant food it boil in a bag/heat n eat stuff. They need the consistency restaurant to restaurant. They can't afford to pay real chefs. They can't afford the time it would take to prepare and cook and still make a profit at their prices. A former secretary had a 2nd job at Applebees and she told me that the only thing they cooked was the steaks. Chicken and other items were all heat and eat products but they actually cooked the red meat because people could order their preferred doneness (med rare, well done, etc).

Same. Was surprised at the fact it even made to national news! Sometimes my office orders from there for catered lunch, and it’s just ok. I usually order just soups or salads, don’t think I’ve ever had their paninis except to finish off either kid they order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

doberbrat
10-16-2019, 08:36 PM

FIRST place we hit when we get to NC is KK. On our way out...... we stop again and get a dozen. Pretty much the only donuts we ever eat other than on Easter.

TwinFoxes
10-16-2019, 09:30 PM
I have a sweet tooth, but to my surprise I always found KK to be way too sweet for me.

This is funny, I don't have a sweet tooth in general. I seriously have no problem passing up Halloween candy or birthday cake. I think it's more the warmth that does it for me. It smells welcoming I guess.

PZMommy
10-16-2019, 11:15 PM
I can't stand Krispy Kreme donuts, but I'll take Dunkin donuts any day!

I've never been to Panera. I'm curious how Chik Fil A does their macaroni and cheese. I went tonight, and they were telling people that were ordering it, it would be a 10 minute wait. I'm guessing it is all precooked and they just put it in an oven?? I've never had it, but want to try it one of these days.

mommy111
10-17-2019, 12:16 AM
I was expecting pre-made, but the heating in plastic is a no -no for me

klwa
10-17-2019, 07:34 AM
So this explains why the Peace Street store is the destination for the "fun run" (or whatever it’s called)! For the uninitiated, this involves running from the N.C. State campus to the Krispy Kreme store, wolfing down a dozen doughnuts, and running back. And yes, it has the expected side effects. I would hate to live on the route...

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Well, that and it's the closest one to NCSU and it was a bunch of drunk frat boys who started the tradition. :) http://krispykremechallenge.com/#intro

SnuggleBuggles
10-17-2019, 09:51 AM
I can't stand Krispy Kreme donuts, but I'll take Dunkin donuts any day!

I've never been to Panera. I'm curious how Chik Fil A does their macaroni and cheese. I went tonight, and they were telling people that were ordering it, it would be a 10 minute wait. I'm guessing it is all precooked and they just put it in an oven?? I've never had it, but want to try it one of these days.

It comes with a baked layer of cheese on top so I assume that’s the cooking part.