PDA

View Full Version : Snap circuits for 15 year old on autism spectrum

Globetrotter
10-15-2019, 10:39 AM
My friend’s 15 yo son is on the spectrum but high functioning. He has an obsession with drawing electrical circuits and color coding them, etc. Seems he’s good at math, too, so I was thinking of buying him a snap circuits set, or any other ideas? They are in Europe but not in a very advanced place (for European standards) and she’s never heard of these. Does anyone know if that would be appropriate or know where I can ask? I’m also wondering which level (Jr or regular). I know it’s hard to answer without knowing the kid, but since they don’t have access to a lot of stuff we get in the US, I’m trying to help her out.

calebsmama03
10-15-2019, 11:18 AM
The junior is pretty basic. My 8yo is already bored with it. If this boy is that into electronics then the higher advanced sets might be better.

crispychicky
10-15-2019, 12:50 PM
I agree, I'd go with a more advanced set. Snap Circuits Arcade looks cool.

If he's REALLY into it, you could get him something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/LAFVIN-Project-Starter-Mega2560-Tutorial/dp/B07CTFVM1L/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=microcontroller+kit&qid=1571157438&sr=8-10
They use kits like these in our middle school. It comes with tutorials and project ideas. You do need access to a laptop to write some basic code, which gets loaded onto the Arduino.

Globetrotter
10-15-2019, 03:21 PM
I guess I should clarify. He’s relatively high functioning and attends a school for kids with special needs.. He seems to be ok with following instructions but he’ll need help, at least initially.

calebsmama03
10-15-2019, 06:44 PM
I’d still say higher level set. The jr is really a 3rd grade level, if that.

hbridge
10-15-2019, 07:46 PM
Snap circuits are very easy to use and basic. They are probably good for a start, but if he is really into circuitry, he may grow out of them quickly. Every spectrum kid is SO different and "high functioning" is a term that doesn't mean much in this context. I would start with an intermediate or advance snap circuit set and then determine if he needs more.

There is also a lot you can do with batteries, lemons, potatoes, ect. Makey Makey is a fun circuit toy, as well.

sariana
10-15-2019, 08:47 PM
My 15-year-old h-f autistic son still enjoys his Snap Circuits. He has a couple of basic sets; I'm not sure which. He just likes to have fun with them. If this family has never heard of them, I think the young man would enjoy them. I would skip the junior, though, and go for the regular.

TwinFoxes
10-15-2019, 10:20 PM
I’d still say higher level set. The jr is really a 3rd grade level, if that.

My kids had the regular snap circuits in 3rd. I didn't even know there was a junior version.

Globetrotter
10-16-2019, 01:04 AM
Ok great. This is helpful!! My kids were into the regular sets in elementary, too, but his mom was concerned that he might have trouble with it. I suspect he’ll enjoy it after an initial learning period!