PDA

View Full Version : Where would you go for the best deals to fill an apartment?

pinkmomagain
10-18-2019, 12:08 PM
My oldest is moving into an apartment and she's on a budget. Where do you think the best deals are for housewares, bedding, decor, furniture? Thinking about Target, Amazon, Costco, BJs, Bed Bath & Beyond, Wayfair/Bobs....Which one do you think would have the best prices for decent quality? Am I forgetting about any options?

TIA

SnuggleBuggles
10-18-2019, 12:13 PM
Of that list, Costco then Target (specifically the Threshold line). Everything else lower. I would also add Pier One. Of course, there is always IKEA. Even if she doesn't want furniture from there, their bedding is great!

DualvansMommy
10-18-2019, 12:48 PM
Home goods have great deals on misc items like rugs, table stands, lamps, throw pillows, and kitchenware. IKEA is good for other stuff like furniture, and Wayfair gets a thumb ups from me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mommy_Mea
10-18-2019, 01:08 PM
Craigslist and Facebook Yard sale. Really wish I had started earlier using them to decorate my house!

o_mom
10-18-2019, 01:10 PM
Goodwill and Craigslist. :)

We always joked that our first apartments were done in "early attic" and "mid-century garage sale".

If she has to have new, then I would start at IKEA.

gymnbomb
10-18-2019, 03:09 PM
IKEA, Target, and thrift store or FB marketplace.

twowhat?
10-18-2019, 03:12 PM
IKEA and FB local marketplace. I've seen/stayed in a higher-end vacation home decked out in IKEA (including kitchen and bath cabinets and sinks, even refrigerator!) and was totally impressed. The reviews on IKEA are really helpful too - if you generally stick to items with good reviews, you're probably in good shape.

And on our local marketplace I frequently see old but great quality furniture (think dresser sets and things like that from grandma's house) for great prices if you aren't picky on looks and just need something well-built and functional.

JBaxter
10-18-2019, 03:19 PM
Facebook market place yard sales goodwill craigslist Ikea. Depends on what you want. Other than their mattresses every thing in my older 2 boys apartments are yard sale hand me down or FByard sale items. Every time I up grade something I hand it down ( sliverware for example) I also scour the clearance sections of Marshalls TJ Maxx and Home goods for odd pans and dishes. I "gifted them" my old pfaltzgraff dishes when I got my fiestaware.

bisous
10-18-2019, 03:24 PM
Goodwill and Craigslist. :)

We always joked that our first apartments were done in "early attic" and "mid-century garage sale".

If she has to have new, then I would start at IKEA.

This exactly!

Kestrel
10-18-2019, 07:02 PM
Freecycle and craigslist. Also, just let friends/family/neighbors know... you'll be amazed at how many folks might say... "well, I've have this old thing in the garage for a while, do you want it?"

mommy111
10-18-2019, 07:43 PM
Amazon (because free delivery) and Bob’s. I love Bob’s and not just because of the free candy

SASM
10-19-2019, 09:41 AM
IKEA and Craigslist

Globetrotter
10-19-2019, 10:25 AM
Homegoods

bisous
10-19-2019, 12:27 PM
I saw an article in a magazine once, maybe it was architectural digest? A designer was setting up his daughter in NYC. Their budget was higher than I’ve ever had to set up a place but I remember that they literally spent half the budget on the upholstered couch. Everything else was thrifted, DIYed, from Target etc. I’ve always thought that was interesting. A comfortable, durable, well designed piece as an anchor and all the rest can be cheap!

sariana
10-19-2019, 12:57 PM
Is her apartment local to you? If so, then I would try Nextdoor if you have one in your area.

If she lives somewhere else, that is tricky because Nextdoor requires a verified local address. I don't know how that works with an apartment.

Kestrel
10-19-2019, 06:16 PM
Do keep an eye out for Black Friday deals, too.

Keep in mind that you don't need everything at once. Maybe you can get enough to get by, and request things as holiday gifts?

JdrKuhnert
10-20-2019, 04:47 AM
If you have Tuesday Morning, they are great. They have good quality products at reasonable prices.