PDA

View Full Version : Wildly fluctuating thyroid levels?

smiles33
10-21-2019, 06:27 PM
Hi all,

I posted about 2 weeks ago when I first got my results in another thread but I'm starting my own thread now. My doc had me wait 2 weeks and re-test and my numbers have fluctuated dramatically. Even she was surprised.

TSH: 7.93 2 weeks ago but now 2.50 (was 3.95 back on 717/15)
T4, Free: 1.20 and now 1.23
Anti-TPO antibodies: 240.6 and now 226.2
Thyroglobulin: 9.4 now 8.5

My mom has a thyroid issue (which she just told me about I shared with her my test results 2 weeks ago) so there may be a genetic link. But how does a TSH go from 3.95 (in 2015) to 7.93 and then 2.50?

My doc wants me to wait 6 months now and then re-test again. Should I be more aggressive and visit an endocrinologist? I chalked up all my symptoms to being older (e.g., gaining weight, irregular menstrual cycles, joint/muscle achiness/sensitivity, fatigue, running cold more than I used to, etc.).

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences and advice!

niccig
10-21-2019, 06:31 PM
You may have Hashimotos thyroid disease. It fluctuates thyroid levels .. see endocrinologist

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

MSWR0319
10-21-2019, 07:13 PM
Hi all,

I posted about 2 weeks ago when I first got my results in another thread but I'm starting my own thread now. My doc had me wait 2 weeks and re-test and my numbers have fluctuated dramatically. Even she was surprised.

TSH: 7.93 2 weeks ago but now 2.50 (was 3.95 back on 717/15)
T4, Free: 1.20 and now 1.23
Anti-TPO antibodies: 240.6 and now 226.2
Thyroglobulin: 9.4 now 8.5

My mom has a thyroid issue (which she just told me about I shared with her my test results 2 weeks ago) so there may be a genetic link. But how does a TSH go from 3.95 (in 2015) to 7.93 and then 2.50?

My doc wants me to wait 6 months now and then re-test again. Should I be more aggressive and visit an endocrinologist? I chalked up all my symptoms to being older (e.g., gaining weight, irregular menstrual cycles, joint/muscle achiness/sensitivity, fatigue, running cold more than I used to, etc.).

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences and advice!

I would definitely visit an endocrinologist. Even a TSH of 2.5 can be considered too high.

Kindra178
10-21-2019, 08:38 PM
See an endo. Or functional med doctor. It drives me crazy but regular doctors can’t seem to manage thyroids.

Indianamom2
10-21-2019, 08:49 PM
You may have Hashimotos thyroid disease. It fluctuates thyroid levels .. see endocrinologist

I agree. I would go see an endocrinologist. You should not have to wait 6 months and test again just because your pcp isn't familiar with treating thyroid issues.

essnce629
10-21-2019, 11:29 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)Yep, definitely my first thought. My mom has Hashi's and I have Graves. Definitely make an appt with an endo. It took years for my mom to get diagnosed since she kept seeing her PCP who didn't see it as a big deal.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Globetrotter
10-22-2019, 04:49 AM
I’m very interested in this topic as we are going through it with my mom- her levels fluctuate and we can’t seem to stabilize it. I suggest going to an endocrinologist for sure. I’ll pm you later.

smiles33
10-22-2019, 02:56 PM
Thanks, all. Sorry for being MIA, had to work late last night and have been trying to catch up on other tasks, too. I'll look into scheduling an appt. with an endo. I agree that it feels too conservative to wait another 6 months.

smiles33
11-12-2019, 06:37 PM
Updating my own thread: after I googled and found an endocrinology clinic at a major research university and pushed my PCP to give me a referral, the clinic finally called me today to say that they don't treat patients with autoimmune thyroid issues. UGH! Back to square one since my PCP doesn't have a referral. I would think this is a straightforward diagnosis. How do you find a good endocrinologist if your PCP doesn't recommend someone?

Mommy_Mea
11-12-2019, 07:41 PM
When I had an endocrine issue, I found a dedicated FB group for that issue and they had lots of recommendations. But I knew what my diagnosis was, I just needed a doctor who would actually listen.

Maybe others who have struggled with autoimmune endocrine issues would have a fb group recommendation?
Updating my own thread: after I googled and found an endocrinology clinic at a major research university and pushed my PCP to give me a referral, the clinic finally called me today to say that they don't treat patients with autoimmune thyroid issues. UGH! Back to square one since my PCP doesn't have a referral. I would think this is a straightforward diagnosis. How do you find a good endocrinologist if your PCP doesn't recommend someone?

essnce629
11-12-2019, 08:10 PM
Updating my own thread: after I googled and found an endocrinology clinic at a major research university and pushed my PCP to give me a referral, the clinic finally called me today to say that they don't treat patients with autoimmune thyroid issues. UGH! Back to square one since my PCP doesn't have a referral. I would think this is a straightforward diagnosis. How do you find a good endocrinologist if your PCP doesn't recommend someone?Honestly, I just did a lot of googling. I looked up endocrinologists near me that were covered by my insurance (on my insurance website) and then just went down the list googling every single one. Some I found no info, but others I found reviews on Yelp and other sites. I ended up choosing an endo who had good reviews and I've been happy (Graves diagnosis 17 months ago and almost in remission).

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk

solsister
11-17-2019, 09:08 AM
I have hashi and several other auto immunes. Stopthethyroidmadness.com has tons of helpful info. Also, Isabel Wentz is awesome. She's got a few books- roost cause and food pharmacology ( I think). She has one that has a 90 day plan and I think I'm going to start it this week.

zukeypur
11-17-2019, 09:51 PM
Are you taking biotin?

smiles33
11-17-2019, 10:00 PM
Are you taking biotin?

No, I don't take any supplements/vitamins. Found an endocrinologist but first appt. is in mid-January. Sigh.

AnnieW625
11-18-2019, 12:55 AM
I would definitely visit an endocrinologist. Even a TSH of 2.5 can be considered too high.

Can you give me some research data on that. In just over a year I went from 1.4 to 2.4 and I have gained weight during that time period that I just can’t seem to lose. My insurance/health care provider says that anything lower than a 4 is normal on my test results. I haven’t contacted my doctor yet as I got the tests done on Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mommy_Mea
11-18-2019, 06:24 AM
There was a thread a few weeks ago that had a discussion about the 2.5 (quick summary is that if you have symptoms, 2.5 is the level, otherwise 4):

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=507311
Can you give me some research data on that. In just over a year I went from 1.4 to 2.4 and I have gained weight during that time period that I just can’t seem to lose. My insurance/health care provider says that anything lower than a 4 is normal on my test results. I haven’t contacted my doctor yet as I got the tests done on Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

solsister
11-18-2019, 07:56 AM
Stop the thyroid madness has all the info-
https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/lab-values/

Daniel596
11-20-2019, 03:49 AM
Visit the endocrinologist for sure. You need a full examination, what you are describing is not a standard situation. I hope you will have a good time.