PDA

View Full Version : DNA testing

niccig
10-24-2019, 12:05 AM
Which is best company for genealogy purposes. My family are from Australia, South Africa (Dutch and German ancestors), Wales and England.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

zukeypur
10-24-2019, 12:07 AM
I believe ancestry is best for genealogical purposes. They do offer some limited traits, but mine were inaccurate.

div_0305
10-24-2019, 10:11 AM
Yes, Ancestry is best for genealogy purposes. I used 23andme, but didn't care too much about the genealogical results.

niccig
10-24-2019, 08:05 PM
Thanks. I’ll look into Ancestry

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

nfceagles
10-25-2019, 06:09 AM
23andme lost my grandmother’s results. They were overwhelmed by a big Christmas rush and kept apologizing for longer than anticipated delays. Then they finally admitted to losing our order but by then my grandmother had died and we couldn’t redo it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

khm
10-25-2019, 10:10 AM
I don't have a lot of knowledge, but a friend has a situation where they are trying to track down long lost half siblings (circa the 1950s). Adoption, multiple marriages, an affair or two, etc. They did Ancestry first, then 23andMe and both services were able to track down different connections. So, maybe look into what you are wanting to learn to decide which is best, or maybe both are "best" depending on what you are seeking.

nfc, I'm sorry about your situation, that really stinks. :(

JBaxter
10-25-2019, 10:50 AM
We found out my grandmother’s brother was only a half brother ( oops I knew my great grandmother and it was rumored that she had a wild streak in her youth) my sister was able to locate her MILs half siblings- she was adopted. We’ve used ancestry

essnce629
10-25-2019, 02:17 PM
23andme lost my grandmother’s results. They were overwhelmed by a big Christmas rush and kept apologizing for longer than anticipated delays. Then they finally admitted to losing our order but by then my grandmother had died and we couldn’t redo it.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThat's so horrible! I'm sorry.

We've used 23andme for the 4 of us, plus my mom, dad, grandma, and 2 half siblings with no issues.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

AnnieW625
10-25-2019, 03:39 PM
My brother and SIL did ancestry and it didn’t bring up anything for my brother that we didn’t know but we had a pretty good history already known especially on my mom’s side of the family.

I want my dh to do it though because his grandma mentioned that her husband was adopted as a baby by his father and that maybe his mother had dh’s grandpa out of wedlock, but then married the man who is listed as dh’s great grandpa. She died before we were able to get any information and dh’s grandpa died years before that and my fil had never heard that from his parents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boilermakermom
10-29-2019, 02:23 PM
We have used Ancestry multiple times with no problems, quick turn around. Website and data bases are user friendly.

I dislike paying for the cost to use search engines, etc. but understand it’s how they make $$.