PDA

View Full Version : Ideas needed for a paintball party

WatchingThemGrow
10-24-2019, 06:25 AM
DS1 is turning 12 and wants a paintball party. I know nothing about it, so anything you can tell me would be so appreciated.

There's a place about 30 min away that does it, but $40-50(!) each and it looks like there are a bunch of add-ons. We have an acre of somewhat overgrown woods adjacent to our house, and we are free to use it, if that would be at all appropriate. Some areas are not overgrown.

Would it be better to outsource this and just take 4-5 guys to a place to play with whoever is there or do we have a private party with just a few guys or do we borrow/buy used equipment from older neighborhood kids and host our own?

Help! I'm being a long term sub right now and have no time to research this as is typical for a BBB mama. If there's a kit to buy that I could get and let DS figure everything else out, that would be awesome.

pharmjenn
10-24-2019, 07:25 PM
DS11 wanted this last year but it never happened, so I am planning for him in December for his 12th birthday. I will use a place about an hour away though, and they are closer to $30/person for a private party
. I think the big expense of having it on your property is acquiring the guns, unless all the participants already own this sort of thing. I can't think of any place that would rent that type of equipment. Sporting goods stores have the paint balls, and they don't seem too expensive, but the guns and protective gear would get expensive if this were a one time thing.

You also would want to set up forts and other areas to hide behind on the property, which would add time and expense.
Also, think about any liability you would have for injury if you do it on your property. Those balls can hurt when they hit you.

Melbel
10-24-2019, 09:21 PM
Please take precautions to prevent tick bites if holding the party in a wooded area. We think our son may have been exposed during a paintball party. There will be more ticks in areas not commonly traversed by humans (tick carrying critters are abundant).

Clothes, socks, shoes - spray clothing with permethrin and allow to dry before wearing
Skin - DEET, Picardin, or Lemon Eucalyptus Oil (all methods fail though; permethrin is the best option)
Advise kids to do proper tick checks after the activity, especially warm moist areas like the groin, armpits, backs of knees, and in hair.

WatchingThemGrow
10-24-2019, 09:53 PM
Please take precautions to prevent tick bites if holding the party in a wooded area. We think our son may have been exposed during a paintball party. There will be more ticks in areas not commonly traversed by humans (tick carrying critters are abundant).

Clothes, socks, shoes - spray clothing with permethrin and allow to dry before wearing
Skin - DEET, Picardin, or Lemon Eucalyptus Oil (all methods fail though; permethrin is the best option)
Advise kids to do proper tick checks after the activity, especially warm moist areas like the groin, armpits, backs of knees, and in hair.

Good point, Melbel! I shiver when thinking about what your family has been through. I didn't know it started with a paintball party.

Sounds like pharmjenn's got the right idea. I found another place about an hour away that's $30 a person, so maybe that's what we will do. They have a "paintball-lite" type as well.