PDA

View Full Version : Have you/would you travel alone for pleasure?

basil
10-24-2019, 10:30 AM
Maybe I’m burnt out or maybe I’m having a mid life crisis.

Have you or would you plan a trip by yourself? I keep dreaming of this. There are many places I want to go and my husband doesn’t seem that interested. Iceland, Scotland, Sweden, US national parks are probably top of the list. I would probably take a hiking or photo tour.

Would you do it?

gymnbomb
10-24-2019, 10:48 AM
I haven't, but in the right circumstances I definitely would!

I do travel without my husband about once a year and he fully supports it (and is happy to take care of the kids solo), but usually go somewhere with my Mom.

SnuggleBuggles
10-24-2019, 11:11 AM
I go away with friends at least once/ year. More when the kids were littler. Parenting is hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

KrisM
10-24-2019, 11:23 AM
I didn't marry until I was 31. Before that, I often traveled alone or with friends. I went to Alaska for 4.5 weeks and a friend joined me for about 10 days of it. She flew home and I stayed for 3 more weeks on my own. I've been to Grand Tetons, Ireland, France, Germany, England all by myself on various trips. I haven't done it in the past 20 or so years, but I always enjoyed it.

Some of the things I did was to wear something that indicated where I was from - a hat from my college, a t-shirt from a local team, etc. It's a conversation point for someone to chat with you. Join a tour group for a few days. I often stayed in hostels, so I met people there too. I don't think I'd do that at my age now though. When I traveled for business and stayed at nicer hotels, I'd eat at the bar in the hotel some times. Other single traveling business people would be there too.

So, yes, I would do it. When my kids are older, I would have no problem going places without DH if he didn't want to go. I don't think he would care either!

That reminds me, my mom has zero interest in seeing National Parks on a road trip. My dad had never gone west until 3 years ago. He took a 3 weeks driving trip to all the parks he wanted to see. He did another trip 2 weeks later. He just checked in daily or so with my mom. It was good all around!

basil
10-24-2019, 11:35 AM
I should clarify I want to be by myself, not just without my family. It’s not so much about needing a break from the kids, just that there are things I want to do that they can’t yet do. And I don’t want to wait until they are adults.

I’m pretty introverted and don’t mind being by myself. I go on business trips and don’t mind at all eating alone at a restaurant or whatever.

I knew a lot of people who did travel when they were younger, just out of college, but I never got that chance. And I guess now I regret that.

hillview
10-24-2019, 11:57 AM
I did before I met and was married to DH. I went to Kenya and South Africa. It was amazing. DO IT.

almostmom
10-24-2019, 12:23 PM
I would definitely do it. I'm fine being alone, and it's even kind of fun to be on your own schedule and pick your own destinations!

I don't see doing it much myself now, as DH and I both have similar travel goals and our kids are pretty good travelers. Though I do dream of sitting on a beautiful tropical beach for a week, and he does not. I usually give in and am happy to land at a national park or cosmopolitan city. But maybe I'll have to think about booking that beach vacation all by myself...

Liziz
10-24-2019, 12:39 PM
I don't, both because of time constraints and because DH adores travel too so there's really nowhere that I'd want to go that he doesn't.

But, I have a good friend who does this all the time. Totally by herself, too -- not with friends or other family, etc. She LOVES it. She loves the ability to either make it really cheap, or on the flip side do something more expensive (a dinner for example) and not break the bank, b/c it's just one person. She thinks it's super refreshing and doesn't mind being alone at all. I say go for it!

SnuggleBuggles
10-24-2019, 12:41 PM
Forgot to say before- I have traveled solo but I don't love it. I like some parts of it (being spontaneous and selfish) but I like having to share the experience with. Heaven though, for me, would be chilling at the beach solo. :) I am usually first down, last up when we rent a beach house. Just me and a book with no one to entertain or worry about. Now that the kids are older, I can do that and it is so nice. No sandy kids to clean either! But, a resort with a wait staff and a great beach would suit me super well. All if my past solo trips have been cities.

essnce629
10-24-2019, 01:35 PM
DH and I have been together since we were 20 and 21 so no solo travel before we met and I have no desire to travel alone. As a SAHM with older kids I feel like I'm already alone by myself most days and would be too lazy to plan a trip on my own. A trip on my own would probably involve hanging out in my hotel room, napping all day, ordering room service, and hitting up the spa since I'm such a homebody!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

khm
10-24-2019, 02:04 PM
Maybe I’m burnt out or maybe I’m having a mid life crisis.

Have you or would you plan a trip by yourself? I keep dreaming of this. There are many places I want to go and my husband doesn’t seem that interested. Iceland, Scotland, Sweden, US national parks are probably top of the list. I would probably take a hiking or photo tour.

Would you do it?

If there is something telling YOU to do this, then you should!! Listen to your gut and go for it. Maybe you just need this re-boot.

bisous
10-24-2019, 02:10 PM
I like being alone. I traveled alone to a mission reunion last year and enjoyed it a lot! I did meet up with a lot of people I know though. There are many activities that I enjoy on my own and would definitely consider a solo vacation (if it were in the budget).

jgenie
10-24-2019, 03:04 PM
I would!! I travel solo with my kids during the summer. I think when they are out of the house I will travel solo quite a bit. DH has traveled extensively for work and really wants to relax at home. I’m a SAHM and really want to get out to explore. I say go for it!!!

ged
10-24-2019, 03:46 PM
Yes! I traveled to Lisbon by myself (was living in Germany at the time so not a very long flight). I needed a break, and while I was reluctant to leave my kids (with my then husband), I went and had a great time. I would take more alone, but now that I'm a single parent, it's really hard to find childcare. I do travel alone for business a few times a year, but it's a bummer bc I basically use up all my "please watch my kids"cards for work, so none left for pleasure.

StantonHyde
10-24-2019, 03:57 PM
I do it every year! I live for backpacking in the desert every spring. It heals my soul. I go with the Sierra Club for a week long adventure. I have been doing this since I was single. I took time off when I was pregnant and nursing but after that I was back at it. DH would always take the whole week off even though I offered to get sitters to help. (the kids were in day care or school with after care) But he said he couldn't work and take care of kids. (um, hello, what do I do???)

Anyway....I have traveled over seas by myself and had a great time. I love to plan trips or you can just go on a Back Roads tour or something like that. You will have a blast! I honestly don't miss anybody while I am gone but I am very happy to see them when I get back and they are super glad to see me. Win/win all around.

newnana
10-24-2019, 04:27 PM
Sounds amazing, sign me up! I do all the travel planning anyway. Sounds rejuvinating and like I'd come back a less stressed mom/wife.

It's not an option for us right now, but if it was, this is definitely something I would do

specialp
10-24-2019, 05:09 PM
I have no desire to go alone with out a friend or someone. I had to travel for work and never enjoyed seeing something cool and having no one else there to share the experience. But if I did want to, I would have zero problems doing it. It sounds like something you would enjoy and I hope you try it! It's not midlife crisis to want to see what you want to see now. Kids aren't there yet and DH isn't interested so now is the perfect time for solo trip.

smilequeen
10-24-2019, 06:01 PM
I would if I had the time, but we travel a lot as a family and as a couple plus one girls trip, so I can't spare extra travel time really. I love doing things on my own though, total introvert. Before DH, I did quite a few road trips on my own, mixing visiting friends with time on my own. I even took some solo ski trips. I loved it.

DualvansMommy
10-24-2019, 08:41 PM
I should clarify I want to be by myself, not just without my family. It’s not so much about needing a break from the kids, just that there are things I want to do that they can’t yet do. And I don’t want to wait until they are adults.

I’m pretty introverted and don’t mind being by myself. I go on business trips and don’t mind at all eating alone at a restaurant or whatever.

I knew a lot of people who did travel when they were younger, just out of college, but I never got that chance. And I guess now I regret that.

I would and have done it! I’ve went home on my own to Ireland on my own visiting family, but I went off into West of Ireland on my own as a trip to myself.

I’m back to work FT now and have gone on work related trips twice so far. Currently on West Coast in fact for a week and while I have spend some evenings with the group, but I’ve also purposely spend 2 evenings so far going off on my own visiting sites that interest me. Eating at places alone that I want to. Blissful! Made me realize I need more of this in my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

marinkitty
10-24-2019, 09:53 PM
I've traveled quite a bit solo - Portugal, Switzerland, Hong Kong, Bali and a few places domestically. Starting in grad school and off and on since. It has to be the right trip and I have to be in the mood but it can be totally wonderful. I think you experience a place quite differently when you are there alone - and some places that really lend themselves to that. I also think it can be really good for you to have the time to yourself, time to think and grow. So I say go for it. I'm traveling solo again in a few weeks to Portugal - partly to get some work done and partly for fun - and am already excited about how I'm going to spend my free time. My last solo trip was a few days in June in Montana - and that one was mostly great but I found myself wishing I had a hiking buddy for a couple of longer hikes in bear country, so think through what you'll want to do so you don't set yourself up to wish you had a companion for activities etc. You can also travel solo but not really alone by joining a group trip - I did a week at a spa in Mexico the year we started trying to get pregnant which ended up being alone but far from lonely with lots of group hikes, classes and activities but then I could retreat to my room or be alone if I wanted to, so it was a mix. If I'm really soloing, I tend to max out the days and have quieter nights in or close to my lodging when I'm alone and it can also be really restful in a way that being home, where there is always more you could do, or traveling with friends, your partner or family isn't.

mommy111
10-24-2019, 10:11 PM

Responding to that last piece, hugs! Didn’t your brother travel the world when he was younger and now has issues? You can be so happy you had the self discipline to work hard during that time and make your life a success! And now that you have financial freedom, why not travel? If you enjoy traveling solo, do it!!

KrisM
10-24-2019, 10:47 PM

Definitely go!

I like being by myself too. I find after 3-4 days I like chatting with someone for a bit. Otherwise, I enjoy being on my own.

nfceagles
10-25-2019, 03:26 AM
I would love to, but feel too guilty to make it happen. Don’t want to hurt DH’s feelings not including him. And I feel like he deserves a break more than me as I’ve got it pretty good these days (expat SAHM to older kids) while he’s working long hours at a stressful job. He’s good to me so I don’t mean to make it sound like he wouldn’t take care of the kids for me, but internally It just doesn’t feel justified for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hwin708
10-25-2019, 03:45 AM
I travel the world with friends all the time. We were doing it before families, and just made it a point to keep up with some of the traditions.

Depending on schedules, I have definitely stayed longer on a trip by several days by myself. Usually, I will do so because I am making a detour to visit another friend who lives nearby or something similar. But sometimes it's just because I want more time in a location.

That being said - I am not a trip planner. I don't like having to research what to do and see in an area, and thankfully have friends who do a lot of the legwork in that arena. When left to my own devices, it really comes down to what is within wandering distance of my hotel that the concierge recommends. My days are much lazier. So for me, personally, an entire trip without anyone else would be somewhat wasted, because I wouldn't put the work into making it worthwhile.

basil
10-25-2019, 05:46 AM
Thanks all! Looking ahead at my work travel schedule, I think I can extend one of my planned trips and head to Joshua Tree National Park for a few days. This should give me a taste and I’ll go from there. I can’t wait!

gymnbomb
10-25-2019, 06:08 AM
Thanks all! Looking ahead at my work travel schedule, I think I can extend one of my planned trips and head to Joshua Tree National Park for a few days. This should give me a taste and I’ll go from there. I can’t wait!

That sounds like a great way to try it out! Hope you have a fabulous trip.

SnuggleBuggles
10-25-2019, 07:24 AM
I would love to, but feel too guilty to make it happen. Don’t want to hurt DH’s feelings not including him. And I feel like he deserves a break more than me as I’ve got it pretty good these days (expat SAHM to older kids) while he’s working long hours at a stressful job. He’s good to me so I don’t mean to make it sound like he wouldn’t take care of the kids for me, but internally It just doesn’t feel justified for me.

But are you sure he’d really care? My dh would much rather not travel and just simply relax at home. You might bring it up sometime. Could be that he’d welcome having the time at home solo as much as you’d like traveling solo. You never know. [emoji4]

jgenie
10-25-2019, 07:31 AM
But are you sure he’d really care? My dh would much rather not travel and just simply relax at home. You might bring it up sometime. Could be that he’d welcome having the time at home solo as much as you’d like traveling solo. You never know. [emoji4]

This is my DH. He’s been all over the world and really just wants to relax at home now.

TwinFoxes
10-25-2019, 08:06 AM
I did quite a bit before I was married and enjoyed it. I went to Italy for work once when we were, and had several free days after my assignment. I had fun but I would rather have been there with DH. Honestly now I would not be into traveling alone, I don't know what's changed.

SnuggleBuggles
10-25-2019, 08:20 AM
Enjoy!!

georgiegirl
10-25-2019, 09:53 AM
I would love to! It’s a dream of mine. DH does it about once a year, usually to a national park (he gets lots of vacation and I don’t want to pull the kids out of school.). I’d love to go the Europe by myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SASM
10-26-2019, 11:48 AM
If given the right circumstances, I would in a heartbeat. Right now, I am all about trying to convince DH that family travel abroad, etc while everyone is still home is essential. I’d feel guilty traveling by myself, as it would be a huge luxury, even if I did it on a budget because my husband would have to take vacation to watch the kids (he travels daily to work and no family to watch them).

Back to topic, though, yes! I love “me” time, as I am also an introvert. I have no problem just being by myself, as I am usually surrounded by chaos otherwise.

StantonHyde
10-26-2019, 02:10 PM

We went to Palm Springs for spring break one year and spent a day at Joshua Tree NP. I loved it. It is so interesting. Plenty of hikes to do that are easy enough that you don't think to yourself, "I wonder if they will find my body" :ROTFLMAO:but still good exercise and cool things to see. There is a great organization called "Women Who Hike". I joined it on Facebook and there are subgroups by state/area. We often get women from other parts of the US saying they will be in Utah and they are asking for info on hikes/looking for someone to hike with. You could always find people to do hike with there. I need to get my rear in gear and join more of the local women who post that they are hiking on the weekend and want to go with someone.

basil
10-27-2019, 05:59 AM
We went to Palm Springs for spring break one year and spent a day at Joshua Tree NP. I loved it. It is so interesting. Plenty of hikes to do that are easy enough that you don't think to yourself, "I wonder if they will find my body" :ROTFLMAO:but still good exercise and cool things to see. There is a great organization called "Women Who Hike". I joined it on Facebook and there are subgroups by state/area. We often get women from other parts of the US saying they will be in Utah and they are asking for info on hikes/looking for someone to hike with. You could always find people to do hike with there. I need to get my rear in gear and join more of the local women who post that they are hiking on the weekend and want to go with someone.

Thanks, yes! The conference is in Palm Springs. I do want to avoid the wondering about body finding anxiety. DH in particular is anxious about these kind of things (which is I think why he doesn't love this type of travel to start with). Apparently there is no/little cell signal, so he wants me to look into renting a GPS tracker/beacon type of thing, which I think may be a bit overkill for what I want to do (hike for a few hours).

I'll look into the Facebook group. I've actually been trying to convince DH to do a family trip to some of the Utah national parks, but no interest so far..

TwinFoxes
10-27-2019, 11:04 AM
Thanks, yes! The conference is in Palm Springs. I do want to avoid the wondering about body finding anxiety. DH in particular is anxious about these kind of things (which is I think why he doesn't love this type of travel to start with). Apparently there is no/little cell signal, so he wants me to look into renting a GPS tracker/beacon type of thing, which I think may be a bit overkill for what I want to do (hike for a few hours).

We had a big discussion on the boards about the woman in Hawaii who went missing for 16 days after going on a three mile hike. I think you need something if you're hiking by yourself with no cell-signal. DH and I used to go to Joshua Tree and other places near there pre-kids. It can be pretty isolated. Accidents happen, and if one happens to you you'll want to be found.

basil
10-27-2019, 01:16 PM
We had a big discussion on the boards about the woman in Hawaii who went missing for 16 days after going on a three mile hike. I think you need something if you're hiking by yourself with no cell-signal. DH and I used to go to Joshua Tree and other places near there pre-kids. It can be pretty isolated. Accidents happen, and if one happens to you you'll want to be found.

Yeah, I imagine that's pretty rare but scary. Looking at something like this https://www.oerentals.com/product/acr-resqlink-personal-locator-beacon-rental/ cost is ~$40 including shipping for a 1 week rental.

StantonHyde
10-27-2019, 01:20 PM
I hike and run all.the.time. in the Wasatch Mountain canyons with no cell signal and nothing more than a Road Runner ID on my shoe. (Like once a week) If I was doing a solo backpack, I would get one of those Spot its or whatever things. I know quite a few people--men and women--who do that for backpacking. If it makes your DH feel better, get one for the trip. REI might be able to rent you one. Or you will just have to buy it. Clearly different people are comfortable with different things. As someone who grew up hiking and backpacking, I am much more nervous in a big city than I am on the trail. Just make sure you have the 10 essentials in your pack.

And let me know if you ever want to do that NP trip--happy to give you lots of ideas :-)

niccig
10-27-2019, 01:22 PM
I did a RTW backpack trip before I met DH. I actually met DH on the trip. We both love to travel so don’t solo travel anymore. DS is a great traveler too. When I did my trip, I think I ate alone only a few times. You met people as you go.

Good fo you to extend the work trip by a few days. Maybe doing that when you can will help until you can plan a longer trip just yourself.