PDA

View Full Version : Kids glasses - where to buy?

jgenie
10-24-2019, 04:00 PM
DS2 is getting glasses for the first time. Any advice on where to purchase? Eye dr is recommending the optic shop in their office. I’m thinking these glasses will be lost or broken in short order. Should I bite the bullet and buy them from the office or elsewhere? Thank You

UPDATE - Thanks all!! We ended up going to a local shop. DH said the staff was very patient with DS2 and extremely helpful. Glasses should be ready in a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

SnuggleBuggles
10-24-2019, 04:03 PM
Costco has worked well.

bisous
10-24-2019, 04:19 PM
We’ve done Costco. We also have had great success at Zenni optical (online and cheap! DS2’s glasses are $26). But we started at Costco.

newnana
10-24-2019, 04:22 PM
Our shop in Dr. office provides free insurance on kids glasses. Lost or broken= no big deal. While we've never had to use this part of the program, it's nice to know. Same philosophy for DDs prescription, she needs new glasses every 6 months because of how fast she's growing for the last 3 years, they get that covered by insurance. It's been great for us because the office really knows their stuff. I'm sure Costco would also be fabulous, but for us, costco is an hour away and the ophthalmologist is less than a mile away.
ETA: I'm sure these are available everywhere these days, but the other thing we liked about the kid glasses at the office here is that they are super flexible/hard to break like the crocs brand or ones with memory metal.

mikala
10-24-2019, 04:25 PM
We've done Costco too. Limited frame selection but we get them with Transitions lenses for around $125 a pair vs $400 at our optometrist.

gymnbomb
10-24-2019, 04:27 PM
We got DS’s first glasses at BJs. They were running a special and they cost about $40 which is less than our copay would have been if we bought them somewhere else with our vision insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snow mom
10-24-2019, 04:51 PM
We did Walmart. They will replace broken glasses for free for a year. Also, they do the polycarbonate lenses in kids glasses without an upcharge. Frames start at $9 and the polycarbonate lenses are $29. We did upgrade to the anti glare which I believe was $49. I think Costco is also a good deal but we don't have a membership because the nearest warehouse is an hour away.

ETA: DS got glasses at 5 and he is a rough little guy. He's been surprisingly responsible! The lenses are getting a bit scratched so I plan to replace them after his next appointment in July. His prescription didn't change enough to need new glasses this year. If they make it to that next appointment he will have gotten two years of wear out of the glasses.

Kindra178
10-24-2019, 05:11 PM
We did visionworks because we needed sports goggle and regular glasses so we got a buy 1, get 1 deal.

KpbS
10-24-2019, 10:18 PM
We have been really pleased with Walmart’s prices, selection, quality, and warranty.

AnnieW625
10-25-2019, 12:17 AM
We have really good insurance (VSP Premier) so we have always done the optometrist office or the local optometry college which was a god send when Dd2 was younger because many places near us didn’t have a good selection of toddler sized glasses except for the rubber Miraflex glasses which I didn’t care for how they looked on Dd2, but the optometry college had a great selection. Before we found the optometry college I did consider Costco for Dd2, but we got a better deal fr the optometry college because Costco didn’t take VSP then. I have also had pairs break and they have fixed them free of charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mommy_Mea
10-25-2019, 01:25 PM
All the kids my son's age (8 and 10) get their glasses from Walmart.

squimp
10-25-2019, 04:04 PM
For first time glasses, I would buy them at a local shop, where they have a good warranty and can adjust them quickly and easily locally. DD has been wearing glasses since she was 3 and she's 16 now. She broke her glasses once or twice a year, and it was so nice to be able to get that sorted out locally. Our optometrist office supports a 2 year warranty on some brands, for us it has been absolutely worth it. We have even switched lenses on the same glasses, that is good quality where she has worn them for nearly 4 years.

We did Costco once, and everyone on here always recommends them. However the Costco glasses we bought were the worst quality glasses we have owned for DD, and the warranty was limited. YMMV

I have a couple pair of Zenni glass for myself and they are pretty flimsy. My DD would have destroyed them. But for an older kid who has a stable script they could be fine.

elephantmeg
10-25-2019, 05:51 PM
we've done walmart and bought 2 years worth of insurance which was awesome and costco (comes with 1 year of insurance). My son goes through multiple pairs of glasses each 2 year cycle, it's been well worth the insurance! DD tends to do better with hers so I let her do walmart or costco depending on what she finds...

lmr1101
10-26-2019, 01:04 AM
We've done Target most recently. Better selection than Costco for us and prices were pretty similar. They often run specials for kids frames and lenses.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Baby Bargains mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

meggie t
10-26-2019, 11:54 AM
DD has been in glasses since 2 months old. She is now almost 7. We get her main pair from the local shop that has a wonderful selection for children - very hard to find! We do get the insurance on lenses and frames that is for 1 yr. We've used the lens insurance but not the frames, as her last frames lasted almost 4 years. She just got a new pair a couple of months ago. I really like going local for adjustments (they are bound to get out of shape - we go in for an adjustment every few months just from normal wear and tear), convenience, and great knowledge of frames in general. I tried going to Costco for a back up pair but their selection was abysmal so I went elsewhere.

Gracemom
10-26-2019, 03:44 PM
We go to America's Best. Exam and two pairs for $69. Limited selection for that price but we always find ones that work. Then you can take your prescription and get more glasses online at Zenni etc.

jgenie
10-26-2019, 04:09 PM
Update in OP.