PDA

View Full Version : bday party ideas for 10yo boy?

♥ms.pacman♥
10-25-2019, 02:53 PM
DS bday is in January and will be turning 10. i have no idea what to do for his party. It's always super difficult bc January is unpredictable weather that rules out something simple like going to a park and doing a picnic which i would totally do otherwise.

my DS is not a fan of trampoline places or arcade places (too much stimulation/sound for him). he doesn't like roller skating. he doesn't like star wars or superheroes or comic characters or anything like that (so movies to see those are out).

would an escape room be too hard for most 9 and 10 yos? we would probably be inviting something like 5 kids, plus DD. Most of his friends are also tech geeks.

the things my son is really into is trains and cars. he doesn't like sports at all except for swimming. i thought about having an indoor pool party at one of the rec centers. but, people here tend to have some odd aversion to swimming when it's cold outside, and so im' worried many kids will not end up going.( seriously, i live in an area where people will cancel plans bc it's raining outside and people don't want to drive in the rain).

my son says he wants it at our house. but i'd rather not have it at our house, bc that would mean i have to clean right after the holidays. plus, around here, party at your house translates into "whole family is invited" and my kids are at the point when they get annoyed when people bring their younger (toddler, preschooler) siblings along and they get into everything. he wants to have it at our house but only invite his friends in his grade (and not their younger siblings). i can't see a polite way of doing that. so, i think it would be easier to do a venue. i think at age 10 they have earned the right to have parties with just their friends their age.

my son does like art, so one possibility is one of those pottery/art places. DS went to one party that was at a pizza-making/chef place and had fun, so that is a possibility. any other ideas/suggestions welcome. my son is seemingly neurotypical but is a 10year old version of Sheldon Cooper (Big Bang Theory) so everything is difficult. lol.

SnuggleBuggles
10-25-2019, 03:17 PM
We started doing 1 (2 max) friends. Dinner, some activity (place like Dave and Busters, trampoline...) followed by video games and a sleepover. He has loved it and it’s crazy easy. Try and pitch that Idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

carolinacool
10-25-2019, 03:25 PM
We started doing 1 (2 max) friends.

My DS turns 10 in December. I tried to pitch this and he looked at me like I had two heads. :ROTFLMAO:

My son wants a laser tag party, so I was going to suggest that until you said he doesn't like that atmosphere. Definitely try the swimming! We did that a couple of years ago at the Y and he had a full party. Everyone thought it was such a neat idea to have a swim party in the winter.

I totally get it, though. We live in North Carolina. DS' birthday is early December, and we've had everything from weather in the upper 60s to a freakin' snow storm last year that caused us to postpone his party until January. It's really hard to think of indoor activities all the time.

♥ms.pacman♥
10-25-2019, 03:26 PM
We started doing 1 (2 max) friends. Dinner, some activity (place like Dave and Busters, trampoline...) followed by video games and a sleepover. He has loved it and it’s crazy easy. Try and pitch that Idea!

yep i have thought of that and that would be cool. i think my ds could narrow it down to inviting 2 close friends and we could do something like dinner + activity (like a car show, would be ideal). though one of them is a girl, so that rules out a sleep over. plus DD hangs out with these 2 friends too.

carolinacool
10-25-2019, 03:28 PM
Oh, does he play video games? They have those game trucks now that come to your house. We've never been to one, but I hear kids like them.

AnnieW625
10-25-2019, 03:42 PM
Do you have a K1 Speed go cart place in your area? He might like that as long as all of the kids are tall enough. Do you have a local Indy Car or NASCAR rave you could take him and some friends to? They often have cars out on display as well for viewing at the race.

Nerf Gun parties are also popular in my area.

Dd2 has her 8th birthday at a pottery place and all of the boys who came loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
10-25-2019, 04:11 PM
ms.pacman[emoji813];4345845]yep i have thought of that and that would be cool. i think my ds could narrow it down to inviting 2 close friends and we could do something like dinner + activity (like a car show, would be ideal). though one of them is a girl, so that rules out a sleep over. plus DD hangs out with these 2 friends too.

At 10, I have zero problems with a co-Ed sleepover. We’re inviting a girl to ds2’s birthday/sleepover and I’ll let it be up to the mom and girl to decide their comfort level. Felt weird not to include her in the whole thing- everyone else gets to stay but she has to leave just didn’t feel right. Plus, you have the bonus of having a dd that she could potentially bunk with. :)

mom2binsd
10-25-2019, 08:04 PM
How about a VR type place? Pretty techy, perfect age. Our small city has one so I'm sure you have one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

niccig
10-25-2019, 08:09 PM
Sleep over... 3-4 friends, pizza and cupcakes, need battle outside until dark and then a movie. Nerf battle was DH against all the boys so no kids got upset about team they were in. Movie once it got dark. Breakfast was pancakes. Or you could end party after the move rather than sleep over.
We did the game truck one time. 5-6 boys, pizza and cupcakes.. very easy

mom_hanna
10-25-2019, 09:42 PM
Do you have a science museum you could have it at? Or have it at a pizza place where they can make their own, or an ice cream place where they can make and eat ice cream?

marinkitty
10-25-2019, 10:11 PM
That's about the age my kids have transitioned to a sleep over for 4-6 kids. If not that, my boys have done a Nerf war in a local park, laser tag, game truck, climbing gym, escape room, movie and dinner at the mall, one of those indoor skydiving places (with a small group), blue man group.

georgiegirl
10-25-2019, 10:33 PM
DS1 had a sleepover for his 10th birthday party. Kids played outside mostly and they watched a movie and then went to sleep. We lucked out with good weather. Kids were playing ghosts in the graveyard after dark.

My kids love swim parties, but they are swimmers. And most of their good friends are swimmers.

A friend’s kid had a laser tag company come out and set up cool “course” in their backyard. They had inflatable things to hide behind. The kids loved it

chottumommy
10-25-2019, 11:28 PM
DS1 had a sleepover (coed) for his 10th with 3 boys and 2 girls. They are all gamers though, so the party was gaming at home spread over 3 floors, food, setup our telescope to look at stars outside, camp fire and sleep and they had breakfast and I dropped them home.

The girls slept in the boys room on a bunk and the boys slept in the basement.

lmr1101
10-26-2019, 12:57 AM
If you have a California Pizza Kitchen, they do birthday parties. Dd1 did one for her 8th birthday and everyone loved it!
The other thought is if he likes video games hire a game truck to park out front of your house.
Even dd2 who doesn't love video games had fun. It held over 20 kids and kept 90% of the party out of the family's house, just inside for bathroom.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Baby Bargains mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

sariana
10-26-2019, 01:09 AM
My 11-y-o DD loves escape rooms! She went with a group from school, and she said the task was adapted for a younger group. If you have an escape room provider near you, I'll bet they can provide an experience for 9 and 10 year olds. It's really popular around here.

TwinFoxes
10-27-2019, 11:20 AM
My DS turns 10 in December. I tried to pitch this and he looked at me like I had two heads. :ROTFLMAO:

Same for DDs who turned 11. But I swear, that was the last one, I'm d-o-n-e. I also wanted to do CPK, my kids were not into it at all.

Our Scout troop did an escape room. The ones here have special puzzles just for kids.

Would something like a trip to an aquarium appeal to him? Add on behind-the-scenes tours to make it special.

That time of year is when auto shows are held, maybe there will be one near you? Or is there a car museum near you? I feel like there are car activities all the time around here.