PDA

View Full Version : Highest quality non-salon brand shampoo and conditioner?

ourbabygirl
10-30-2019, 03:04 PM
I really like my Aveda Sap Moss shampoo and conditioner, but even with 20% off at various salons, it's still pricey.
Any other recommendations for a high-quality shampoo and conditioner, especially one that moisturizes and is good for color-treated hair?

Thank you! :)

twowhat?
10-30-2019, 03:18 PM
I just recently bought a bunch of the Shea Moisture brand since Costco had a coupon on it. My local stores sold out of both the shampoo and conditioner REALLY FAST (so fast that by the time I decided I liked it, it was all gone!). Anyway, it's sulfate-free and says it's safe for color-treated hair. I normally like a shampoo with SLS in it because I have oily hair and SLS gets all that oil off, but I've been pleasantly surprised that the SLS-free Shea Moisture gets my hair feeling just as clean.

AnnieW625
10-30-2019, 04:04 PM
Costco’s Kirkland Shampoo and Conditioner. I read a report years ago that it was rumored to be Purology. I have many friends who color their hair and they swear by it.

Ulta has pretty good deals on liters a few times a year.

I don’t have colored hair so I can’t give you a targeted recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cvanbrunt
10-30-2019, 04:53 PM
VERB. Developed in a salon but they wanted the line to be affordable. Everything is color safe. You can get it at Sephora or Amazon. I use the Volume line and they have a hydrating line. Love it more than my Living Proof stuff.
https://www.verbproducts.com/

wendibird22
10-30-2019, 05:32 PM
Costco’s Kirkland Shampoo and Conditioner. I read a report years ago that it was rumored to be Purology. I have many friends who color their hair and they swear by it.

I know this product gets a lot of love but I bought it for my kids and after a week we tossed it. Their hair never looked more greasy and weighted down. It was like it built up on their hair. So we went back to the LOreal ever pure line.

khm
10-30-2019, 05:52 PM
I know this product gets a lot of love but I bought it for my kids and after a week we tossed it. Their hair never looked more greasy and weighted down. It was like it built up on their hair. So we went back to the LOreal ever pure line.

Yeah, I think shampoo is a hard one to define "best" since it is so individual. Not just your hair (thin, think, fine, curly, coarse, greasy, dry), but your water (is it hard water or soft water, etc.)

I rarely notice much difference from shampoos/conditioners for my fine, thin, flat hair. I buy whatever grabs my eye - expensive or cheap. I just don't put much thought into it. But, I've LOVED Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle. It just does.... something good for my hair. My daughter likes it as well, but my husband is mystified as he sees nothing special about it for his hair. Now that we are getting into winter I don't think its conditioner is going to be enough for my hair to keep the static flyaways at bay though.

I have used the Kirkland and it wasn't anything special for me (not bad, but not "wow"), and I didn't like the smell at all so I never re-bought it.

PunkyBoo
10-30-2019, 06:44 PM
After years of the kirkland one Annie mentioned, I switched to Orlando Pita Argan oil shampoo, I love the way it makes my hair shiny and healthy. I still happily use the kirkland conditioner with it. My hair is thick, long, curly, and very coarse.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

twowhat?
10-30-2019, 07:07 PM
After years of the kirkland one Annie mentioned, I switched to Orlando Pita Argan oil shampoo, I love the way it makes my hair shiny and healthy. I still happily use the kirkland conditioner with it. My hair is thick, long, curly, and very coarse.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Orlando PITA is the other one I LOVE and I stock up on it whenever Costco runs a coupon for it. It has the least offensive natural coconut smell (nothing perfume-y). I also LOVE their Argan Oil but unfortunately have not been able to figure out where to buy it after I ran out of the little Costco sample :(

WatchingThemGrow
10-30-2019, 08:20 PM
Yes tree tingle lovers here too!

That and sticking up at the Ulta Liter Sale after Christmas.

MMMommy
10-30-2019, 11:19 PM

Yes to this! Love this shampoo and conditioner. I also bought the Shea Moisture Coconut (shampoo and conditioner) mentioned by PP above. So we have that in the shower too. But my fav is the Kirkland one.

squimp
10-31-2019, 12:18 PM
I like to get parabens and sulfate free, and usually can find great deals on Jason, Alba botanicals, Shea and others at TJ Maxx. I prefer to get the largest bottles. My daughter buys in bulk from the coop.

catsnkid
10-31-2019, 01:09 PM
I've been happy with the tea tree products from Trader Joes. Their shaving cream is also great.

SnuggleBuggles
10-31-2019, 01:38 PM
I'm willing to bet if you put a drugstore shampoo into your Aveda bottles, you wouldn't really see a major difference. I either use Trader Joes, Whole Foods or Aussie stuff. I just have a hard time believing the salon stuff is that much better or worth the money.

Myira
10-31-2019, 09:38 PM
Have you tried bumble and bumble? I recently tried the glow thermal protection mist and I’m impressed with the results. I have straight hair and it’s not at all frizzy after blow drying when I use this. I would like to try the shampoo from this brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Kindra178
10-31-2019, 10:39 PM
I'm willing to bet if you put a drugstore shampoo into your Aveda bottles, you wouldn't really see a major difference. I either use Trader Joes, Whole Foods or Aussie stuff. I just have a hard time believing the salon stuff is that much better or worth the money.

I wish that was the case! I have never found a wf shampoo I like. Way too drying, almost all of them. Aussie ways me down, same as the beloved kirkland, Pantene, and L’Oréal.

Bumble is ok, depending on which one, but there’s no price differential between Aveda and that one. Bumble might be more. I love bumble styling products.

Re Aveda, those big liters last forever. Even though they are a shocking outlay upfront, you get your money’s worth.

Globetrotter
10-31-2019, 10:52 PM
I like the Not your mothers natural line. I found it when I was looking for alternatives to Devacurl. They have various hair products and are natural. It’s not too pricey as there Are frequent sales.
Some of the cheapest brands like tresseme have ingredients that could be problematic for some- my curly group calls them itchy Ms., but Dd and I are okay with those.

Tenasparkl
11-01-2019, 01:36 AM
The Kristin Ess stuff at target is good. I especially like the micellar shampoo to help get rid of product buildup from shampoos/ conditioner.

boilermakermom
11-01-2019, 06:44 AM
The Garnier Oat line is great!!! Super moisturizing, not greasy. It can be hard to find though. I usually luck out at Walgreens.

JBaxter
11-01-2019, 07:36 AM
Right now I have Nexxus I got on sale at Costco but I find Marshalls is a great place to get shampoo conditioner and body wash. Some brands that are considered "good" doesnt make my hair feel as good as others. My last bottle of Redkin color last conditioner was from marshalls for 16.99. ( the big bottle with a pump)

Myira
11-01-2019, 08:11 AM
I do like the Acure brand and it’s available at target and WF. It’s free of sulphates and parabens.