PDA

View Full Version : Aging fingertips?

twowhat?
10-31-2019, 12:25 PM
Weird title, but is anyone dealing with changes to their hands/fingertips as a result of aging? I know that as you age, the fat pads on your fingertips diminish. I am definitely feeling it there - my fingertips deform easily when pressed, and don't pop back up as quickly. Dry skin - my fingertips seem to get especially try. Creams help overall but my fingertips are drier than the rest of my hands. They are flaky and wrinkly, which is really aggravating because they snag on fabrics. My iPhone can't recognize my fingerprint a good 30% of the time (I know, first world problems). I've also even started noticing fingertip pain which is a little worrisome. If I use my hands a lot (for example, carving pumpkins and picking out seeds to roast), then my fingertips actually will hurt a little - a tingly type of pain. Almost neuropathy-like? I have no idea what peripheral neuropathy feels like but that descriptor is what first crossed my mind. I'm pretty sure it's just because the fat pads on my fingertips are thinning, and I have such thin, bony hands to begin with.

I already use gloves for almost anything in the kitchen, even something as mild as rinsing fruits and veggies, and have done so for years. I also use disposable gloves for preparing any meats - basically I try to use gloves whenever possible in order to cut down on handwashing.

I guess first, I need a good hand creme or ointment or whatever that will help with the dryness. My job is 99.9% computer-based so it needs to be something that soaks in and isn't greasy on the fingertips. I am trying to drink more water, but that doesn't help with the loss of fat pad issue. Not sure there's a solution for that? Help! The thought of my fingers getting even worse than they already are terrifies me because I like doing things with my hands...painting/refinishing furniture and sewing/crafts are things I enjoy doing and it would suck to give those things up. I did some sewing for the kids' halloween costumes and my fingertips were wrecked afterwards - dry, flaking, wrinkled, and "mashed" for lack of a better word to describe them.

Globetrotter
10-31-2019, 12:55 PM
I’ve been thinking about this! My fingerprints don’t even register. I was fingerprinted for a volunteer job and I had to go in twice and even then it was iffy- I got it to work after moisturizing. They don’t register for the iPhone either.
Right now I have a couple of Band-Aids on my fingers for finger cuts, And this tends to be a problem in the winter.
I’m very lazy about moisturizing and I just don’t do it until it gets to this stage, so I need to get on the ball with that.

candaceb
10-31-2019, 01:24 PM
I have crazy dry skin, and (per the derm's recommendation) use CeraVe SA cream on my hands every night before bed. It makes a world of difference and keeps me away from RX stuff most of the time. If that doesn't work, the next step is a moisturizer plus aquaphor ointment plus cotton gloves.

NCGrandma
10-31-2019, 01:33 PM
My definitely-aging fingertips don’t seem particularly dry, and I don’t usually use any kind of cream/lotion on any part of my skin because of allergies. However, I’ve had fingerprint login problems ever since those early Lenovo PCs that had a fingerprint reader in the keyboard (so, probably at least 25 years?). My iPhone and iPad recognize my fingerprints only part of the time — definitely not enough to rely on that without also having a passcode.

Even if it doesn’t seem to help your hands, keep up the drinking water. Some of my older friends, who never really liked to drink much water, have gotten into various problems thanks to dehydration. Wrinkly fingertips are the least of their troubles!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Globetrotter
10-31-2019, 05:55 PM
Actually, I think I’ve always had trouble giving fingerprints, so I don’t think it’s anything to do with aging. Maybe some of us are just like that. I hope, if any of us were to commit a crime, the police would have better finger print detection capabilities! Lol

georgiegirl
11-01-2019, 07:40 AM
DH has difficult to read fingerprints. It’s always an issue at Disney. He thinks it’s because he’s a germaphobe and has washed his hands too many times.

Gracemom
11-01-2019, 02:00 PM
My mom is a nurse and has this problem. She was told using hand sanitizer frequently can affect your fingerprints. Hydrating and using moisturizer helps.