PDA

View Full Version : My parents' dog is missing- P & PTs appreciated

ourbabygirl
10-31-2019, 01:41 PM
ETA: He's been found! Thank you sooooo much for your tips! I had just posted a big thing on FB when I got a call from my mom that a lady in her town had him!

I'm so sad, he's the sweetest dog. He has an Invisible Fence collar that he wears, (and my mom changed the battery on it last week), and he wasn't in their yard this morning. They live in a wooded area, and my mom and I drove around a bunch and called & whistled to him. He's about a 4 year old German Shepherd.

What steps should we take to be most productive to hopefully find him again?
Make a poster with his name and photo? Go around to neighbors' houses/ send neighbors a flier with photo & information? My mom contacted a couple of police/ sheriff's departments. Not sure the best use of our time....

I know this isn't a big thing in the grand scheme of things, but we all would be so sad if we never find him. We would really love any prayers and positive thoughts that he comes home soon!

Thank you!

SnuggleBuggles
10-31-2019, 01:44 PM
Oh no!

In this day and age, you need to use social media. My Facebook always has missing pets. People share on neighborhood/ community pages and it gets shared. The animal rescue places will also share.

MSWR0319
10-31-2019, 02:01 PM
Oh no!

In this day and age, you need to use social media. My Facebook always has missing pets. People share on neighborhood/ community pages and it gets shared. The animal rescue places will also share.

:yeahthat:

I always see tons of posts on various area FB pages and that's usually how they get found. People also post on there when they find dogs hoping to reunite them, so post away and make it shareable. I'd also alert the local humane society and dog warden.

twowhat?
10-31-2019, 02:40 PM
Yes, you need to use social media. Facebook, FB groups (towns, neighborhoods, dog park groups) Nextdoor, anything that has local followers and ask the followers to please share to sites/groups that they are aware of. Call all the animal shelters in the vicinity with a description so that they can be on the lookout for any dogs matching it that are brought to the shelter.

But social media is a must and I'd do that first.

Sending lots of P&PT that he's found soon!!

Kestrel
10-31-2019, 02:43 PM
If the dog is microchipped contact the company and make sure the contact info is current, as well as make sure they know the pet is missing. If there were license tags on the collar, call the city/county and let them know contact info too, if different.

If there is a nearby vet office, leave them a flyer with info. If he's found, he may be brought to the vet office to scan the chip. And as stated above, make sure the local animal shelters and animal control officers know. Even after you contract the shelters, check back with them every day or two until the pet is found - don't count on them to call you.

ourbabygirl
10-31-2019, 03:51 PM
THANK YOU so much, Everyone!

My mom called to say that someone in their town found him- I guess he got out and went in their yard (they also have a German Shepherd, and Invisible Fence- I guess he got in to this yard and couldn't get back out?). The lady called my mom a while ago to say that they have him!

I'm so happy and relieved! :cheerleader1:

twowhat?
10-31-2019, 04:01 PM
YAY what a relief!!!!! So glad he's home!!!

mmsmom
10-31-2019, 04:06 PM
So glad he was found! For future, make sure he is chipped and has collar with phone number in addition to fence collar. It sounds like fence intensity may need to be turned up a bit... fence company should be able to walk you through it.

TwinFoxes
10-31-2019, 05:18 PM
Glad he's back!