PDA

View Full Version : Apartment for me

hillview
11-03-2019, 08:02 AM
For the next few months I will have an apartment for me while I work in San Diego — I will commute back and forth. Is there anything you can think of that I would want for my apartment. It will be furnished (have not seen it yet). So far I have
- photos
- shampoo/conditioner, soap etc that I like
- white noise machine
- coffee maker I like
- bath robe and slippers
- sonos

anything else?

mommy111
11-03-2019, 08:27 AM
Stocked with coffee/tea/creamer
snacks
pots and pans if you cook
microwave
comfortable couch to work on (I find it’s much easier to work if the kids are not around)
great WiFi (same reason as above)
A TV (to distract when the family is not there)

SnuggleBuggles
11-03-2019, 08:29 AM
A bike

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

ellies mom
11-03-2019, 09:29 AM
Your favorite coffee mug or at least one similar. A hobby or books.

It is hard to say without knowing what they consider furnished. We lived in a furnished corporate apartment for a bit and it had basically everything we needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgenie
11-03-2019, 09:29 AM
Good knives

mom2binsd
11-03-2019, 11:57 AM
Your favorite pans, steamer for veggies (I have a Tupperware one I use 3x a week), a few good storage containers for leftovers, lunch bag, refillable water bottles.

You may want your own towels when you get there or the ones there might be ok.

You'll know more when you see what they provide.

I'd get charging cords or whatever you use to charge devices to keep there rather than bringing back an firth.

Candles or diffuser to make it smell familiar.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

essnce629
11-03-2019, 03:25 PM
Good knivesOh yes!!!

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk

smiles33
11-03-2019, 04:12 PM
Since you're there for several months, not just a week or two (like on vacation), I'd bring:

- higher quality towels and sheets and maybe even a nicer pillow (I'm sure whatever they provide is the bare minimum)
- good knife, favorite spices, and better kitchen ware if you're going to cook your own meals and possibly bring leftovers to the office (the provided kitchen gear is usually substandard)
- toiletries, PJs, and work clothes you can leave there (to minimize what you have to lug back and forth) and maybe a swim suit in case the apartment has a pool

gymnbomb
11-03-2019, 04:15 PM
Definitely a pillow you really like and toiletries, pajamas, chargers, etc. to leave there. A lot of things would depend on how it is actually furnished and how picky you are about specifics :) My mother would definitely take her own knives. She takes her own knives when she rents a beach house for a week or two. I dont cook enough to care as long as there is a semi functional paring knife.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

California
11-04-2019, 12:49 AM
Really cute pajamas, slippers, magazines, and epson salts for the bathtub. Enjoy the break while it lasts!!!

bisous
11-04-2019, 12:56 AM
As someone said before—books. It doesn’t feel like home to me without them!

Philly Mom
11-04-2019, 08:11 AM
I would bring my own sheets and towels. Everything else I could probably deal with or buy when necessary.

hillview
11-04-2019, 10:20 AM
Thanks all. So they didn’t have corporate / furnished housing so I’m renting an unfurnished unit. Sigh.

KpbS
11-04-2019, 11:31 AM
Tried to send you a pm but your box is full

pharmjenn
11-04-2019, 11:35 AM
Thanks all. So they didn’t have corporate / furnished housing so I’m renting an unfurnished unit. Sigh.

I would suggest renting "entire apartment" furniture sets from places like Cort or Rent-A-Center. Unless you really like furniture shopping and want to invest the time to get stuff you will keep. We used this when DH was in Ohio for 3 months and we had an unfurnished apartment. He brought/bought some basic kitchen goods, and of course the towels and sheets of his choosing as everyone has been recommending, but the big stuff he didn't have to worry about.

hillview
11-04-2019, 11:50 AM
Tried to send you a pm but your box is full
Thanks just cleaned it out!

candaceb
11-04-2019, 11:58 AM
Is there an option to do something like a Residence Inn? You can negotiate with them for longer term stays and earn points while you're living there. Might be easier than furnishing an apartment. That's what we have done twice with corporate moves when DH had to move earlier than the rest of the house was ready.

gymnbomb
11-04-2019, 12:18 PM
Is there an option to do something like a Residence Inn? You can negotiate with them for longer term stays and earn points while you're living there. Might be easier than furnishing an apartment. That's what we have done twice with corporate moves when DH had to move earlier than the rest of the house was ready.

My husband used to stay at a Residence Inn a lot when he was at his old job. At one point he was flying there every Monday, washing his clothes at the end of the week, leaving his suitcase full of clean clothes at the hotel's luggage check area when he flew home on Thursday night or Friday, then repeating the next week for a month or two.

AnnieW625
11-04-2019, 02:03 PM

Or a Homewood Suites? I like this idea. Or look on AirBNB for a furnished long term rental. You could always then buy some knives and pots and pans if you don’t like what the rental has.

What will you be doing for a car?

For sure I would get my own pillow.

mom2binsd
11-04-2019, 10:57 PM
I second looking at airbnb or less corporate listings, or an extended stay hotel with a kitchenette.

SnuggleBuggles
11-04-2019, 11:13 PM
I doubt Airbnb will work. After 30 days, in many places, the tenant right changes and no one wants to deal with that. Some towns place firm limits on length of stay through Airbnb too. But lots of other good choices in here!

AnnieW625
11-05-2019, 10:01 AM
I doubt Airbnb will work. After 30 days, in many places, the tenant right changes and no one wants to deal with that. Some towns place firm limits on length of stay through Airbnb too. But lots of other good choices in here!

San Diego currently doesn’t have an air bnb law:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/tourism/sd-fi-airbnb-regulations-council-20181022-story.html%3f_amp=true

mikala
11-05-2019, 10:13 AM
Good luck finding a great place to live!

Re: stuff you'll want, I'd think of any grooming items you use often and either keep them there or get duplicates. Hairdryer, curling iron, clothing steamer, etc. I imagine you'll have more time there then at home for alone time so I'd think of what self-care you like. Reading, crafting, skin pampering, etc.

You'll probably eventually want basic office supplies- tape, scissors, mini stapler, plain envelopes and stamps.

I'd personally want one good knife and a peeler for cutting fruit and veggies. I'd use an insulated coffee mug and water bottle.

khm
11-05-2019, 10:29 AM
San Diego currently doesn’t have an air bnb law:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/tourism/sd-fi-airbnb-regulations-council-20181022-story.html%3f_amp=true

I think she's saying past a 30 day stay, in some locales, a tenant gains tenant rights that an airbnb owner will not want to deal with. So, it won't be an option because no owner will even offer a long-term stay.

mom2binsd
11-05-2019, 11:02 AM
I would not want to have to equip an apt for a short term rental. I can't believe they can't find a furnished place???

erosenst
11-05-2019, 12:15 PM
I've done short-term (2 - 6 months) furnished rental three times. What I've needed to add has varied based on what's there - I'd wait to see and plan to have a box shipped/bring an extra suitcase a couple times when you commute rather than 'overbring' the first time. If at all possible I'd also plan/budget a couple hundred dollars for "Amazon stuff that will be great if it arrives tomorrow and makes me more comfortable" - whether linens, kitchen stuff, throw blanket, whatever. Storage for 'stupid' stuff was an issue in all three - think about getting a few totes of some sort and where they might fit.

I'd also do a LOT to get furnished. As others have suggested try extended stay hotels (Residence Inn, Home2Suites, Homewood Suites, etc) , large apartment complexes, etc. The last short term was when we were building a house and sold our prior way more quickly than we thought. It was shockingly hard to find furnished, but when I finally found the right company they had several options.

Good luck/feel free to PM for other suggestions.

cvanbrunt
11-05-2019, 05:16 PM
Have you checked into Oakwood? That's the corporate housing we've used. On our last move, my husband stayed at an extended stay hotel for 3 months while I wrapped everything up in Boston. It wasn't amazing but he didn't need to check out every weekend.

doberbrat
11-05-2019, 06:56 PM
if 30d is the max for Air BNB, then offer to check out every 4th weekend and rebook.