PDA

View Full Version : I’m seriously thinking 3 of my kids need ADHD diagnoses!

bisous
11-07-2019, 08:02 PM
DS1 was diagnosed at age 5. He couldn’t function in public without medication. He has been doing well for about 10 years now!

On to my other three!

I’ve been talking to my pediatrician about DS2 for about the last 4 years about ADHD. He is academically and socially largely successful. And honestly he still is. But he is starting to complain about distracted thinking. He’s not as successful as he can be. I still wonder if medication will improve his life. Seriously considering going forward with an official diagnosis even though everyone around him thinks he’s not impaired enough?

DS3 has been on my radar since birth. I anticipate an anxiety diagnosis with him. But now I’m getting reports that he isn’t completing his class work and truth be told getting him to do anything at home is very difficult too! So he’s candidate 2.

I’m almost certain DD has ADHD. The difference between her emotional maturity and cognitive ability for one thing but she also has a lot of impulsivity. I’m looking around for some resources for girls with ADHD and will be talking to the pediatrician.

Is it crazy to diagnose 3 kids at once? I’m feeling very overwhelmed. It seems like everyone is very needy and struggling all of a sudden!

Anyone ever diagnose multiple kids at once? Any advice?

georgiegirl
11-07-2019, 10:30 PM
I’m sorry you are dealing with all three at once. I know adhd and anxiety are genetic. All three of my kids have anxiety, but only the middle one is medicated. I think some distractedness isn’t outside the range of normal. I know I get distracted by stuff, especially if I have to work on something boring.

WatchingThemGrow
11-08-2019, 07:46 AM
Our doc wanted us to do the apart from each other, so we waited a couple months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mommy111
11-08-2019, 09:50 AM
I would take them to be evaluated but I would not pre-build a story. None of the characteristics you describe are, in and of themselves, concerning and are normal for kids their age. It depends on what the totality of the child looks like

georgiegirl
11-08-2019, 10:10 AM
I also wanted to chime in that anxiety can look like ADHD. Distraction and inattention can be symptoms of anxiety as well.

cuca_
11-08-2019, 10:36 AM
I have 3 out of 4 with ADHD but they were not diagnosed at the same time. 2 also have anxiety and are on medication. The 3rd doesn’t take any meds and seems fine, but is younger than your DS. We had two kids evaluated after once, but were looking for/ruling out two different things - ADHD and LDs. And they were evaluated at different appointments.

bisous
11-08-2019, 10:53 AM
I probably should take the most critical first. I'm trying to figure out which order to do this in. I was contacted by DS3's teacher yesterday that she is going to start sending his work home with him to finish here. He's just not getting anything done at school (and surprisingly this is my only child that has this potentially ADHD-like behavior). I'm struggling pretty hard here at home too getting him to do anything I ask him to, whether that is to get him to get dressed in the morning or to do his homework. If he is motivated enough he's fast but motivating him is incredibly difficult to do. So he has all the capacity to do what is asked of him but can't seem to make himself do it. Maybe this is an anxiety thing? It is very different than my other kids who are super fast at completing work (but tend to be sloppy about it).

DD is definitely on the young end for diagnosis. And the symptoms are the least clear but I honestly feel like she's the most clear cut case. Its a gut feeling that I have based on her similarities to her dad and her very different thinking processes. Also, unlike the other two kids, she's actually the only one struggling socially. She's having trouble making and keeping friends and I feel like she's getting conclusions drawn about her now. I want to intervene!

Finally, DS2 is the least affected but he's in 7th grade which is more academically important than the other two. I have a conference with his teacher this morning and we're going to talk about her observations. He can probably wait the longest (which gives me pause only because he's the stereotypical middle child that never gets attention and here I am again, putting him last!)

Sigh. Thank you all for chiming in!