PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about grocery curbside pickup?

bisous
11-11-2019, 10:32 AM
Does anyone do this? Is it as awesome as I’m imagining? Are there hidden costs?

I’ve heard of this but never really considered it before. Part of me felt like grocery shopping with kids was part of their education when they were very small (except I would walk on hot coals to avoid shopping with a young DS3!) and so it didn’t feel like a service I needed to outsource.

Ironically now I’ve got all my kids in school so I have “more time” but I’ve found that I fill that time with everything BUT grocery shopping. I have increased my hours at work, I volunteer more, I like decorating and organizing my house, I’m exercising. Etc. but I’m just not getting my grocery shopping done.

So what’s the deal? I see that a lot depends on where you live and where you shop. I don’t know that I could do it for considerably more money than I currently pay. I’d actually like to save money if possible! Is it possible? Where do you shop? Is it worth it?

FWIW, I have a family of 6. My DH can’t eat beef so we eat a ton of chicken and turkey. He also can’t have cheese but I feed it to the kids. My kids lunches are almost totally provided by Costco. We cook every night and almost never eat out. I like to “shop sales” for meat and produce specials and get most of my dairy and grains at Costco. Would this work for me?

Dayzy
11-11-2019, 10:49 AM
The places near me that do curbside pickup charge $10-12 for the service they provide. I don't think it's worth it to me to not be able to choose my food. I used it while I was pregnant and on bedrest and more often than not had to send DH back to return things. Or if they ran out of the brand of crushed tomatoes I like, they would sub another brand. Once even they gave me puree in place of the crushed they ran out of.

MSWR0319
11-11-2019, 11:03 AM
The only store near me that offers it is Walmart. We've done it twice and it's nice. It's free to use. That being said I still go to our local grocery store to get my meats, so it doesn't stop me from going to the store completely. And you have to order ahead of time. So we were out of town this weekend and I have no groceries so now I have to go to the store. Not a big deal to me, as I don't mind going to the store, but I go when the kids are in school. It's great to use when we're busy and are in a time crunch. That being said, since it's Walmart, I'm not really saving any money anyway shopping sales. Kroger (which is about 45 minutes from me) also offers it for free and I would just shop their sales like normal if we were closer and used it there. I do agree with you that I think it's a good lesson for my kids to learn how to shop. We won't use pick up exclusively but it is nice.

BDKmom
11-11-2019, 11:12 AM
I haven’t used it much, so I’m not sure who charges what for it, but I do find that I spend less when I use it, mostly because I only buy the things on my list. Since it means I don’t go in the store, I’m not tempted by impulse buys. So, if that’s something you struggle with, it might help save money in that way.

Mostly I like to see and touch the stuff I’m buying. And I don’t plan ahead enough to be able to use it efficiently. However, my sister and her husband both teach, and they love using it because it means they don’t have to spend their Saturday mornings in the grocery store.

mom2binsd
11-11-2019, 11:38 AM
So many of my friends do it, they all use Walmart. They shop online, can start an order and then add to it and when ready, set up a time to pick up, they don't even leave their cars. They all tell me that they spend less and have been very happy with it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

bisous
11-11-2019, 11:42 AM
It looks like Walmart doesn’t deliver in my area! I wanted to see if I can get Sprouts deliveries because I love their deals on produce and meat and both are very fresh. The deliver but use Instacart and there are fees associated with it. It’s probably not worth it. Darn! I had hoped!

I’m wondering though, I am an ambling shopper. I don’t make lists. I don’t buy lots of impulse buys. On the contrary, I usually forget stuff I need, adding to lots of extra trips. Maybe just making a LIST would be a good start? It’s overwhelming to me to think about everything we need in a week. Maybe I can use the online shopping just for planning but not actually submit it?

KpbS
11-11-2019, 11:49 AM
I think you start by meal planning with a detailed list. The friends I know who use it shop at Kroger and Walmart and they love it. It’s a huge time saver for them and saves money preventing impulse buys. We have quite a few food allergies and limitations so the subbing out wouldn’t necessarily work for us so well and I do love to stock up if I find markdown deals on in store items.

lizzywednesday
11-11-2019, 12:09 PM
I've only used it myself at Target, and only if I'm in a time-crunch (i.e. - only have a few minutes to run in & pick up the items, rather than taking DD through the store at the end of our every-two-weeks grocery run) because the convenience is great, but I'm charged online pricing for the convenience (and the online price is frequently more than the in-store price on some things.)

My local ShopRite offers it and I'll admit I've been tempted, but I hate the store so much that I won't spend money there unless I absolutely have to.

The Wegmans I favor also offers curbside pickup, but I haven't tried it; we like the store employees and know the layout, so physically going to the grocery store isn't a hardship for us.

mom2binsd
11-11-2019, 12:26 PM
It looks like Walmart doesn’t deliver in my area! I wanted to see if I can get Sprouts deliveries because I love their deals on produce and meat and both are very fresh. The deliver but use Instacart and there are fees associated with it. It’s probably not worth it. Darn! I had hoped!

I’m wondering though, I am an ambling shopper. I don’t make lists. I don’t buy lots of impulse buys. On the contrary, I usually forget stuff I need, adding to lots of extra trips. Maybe just making a LIST would be a good start? It’s overwhelming to me to think about everything we need in a week. Maybe I can use the online shopping just for planning but not actually submit it?Why not do the pick up not delivery? How far away is Walmart?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DualvansMommy
11-11-2019, 12:27 PM

I’m wondering though, I am an ambling shopper. I don’t make lists. I don’t buy lots of impulse buys. On the contrary, I usually forget stuff I need, adding to lots of extra trips. Maybe just making a LIST would be a good start? It’s overwhelming to me to think about everything we need in a week. Maybe I can use the online shopping just for planning but not actually submit it?

You should try the curbside once to see how it works for you as a family.

For me, I’ve several options when it comes to curbside pickups. I rarely shop at Target since it’s way out of my usual location, so that just leaves my local Wegmans which is done through instantcart, so there’s fees associated with it. I prefer delivery to my home when I use that service with Wegmans though, and have used several times when I’m sick or kids sick, returning home from vacation to having it delivered.

Other place is Shoprite which charges a flat fee of 6.99, and they waive that fee every 5th curbside order. I utilize that more often since it’s a flat fee, and usually order cases of seltzer, bulk Italian sausage, cheese, Portuguese rolls, and few other things that I prefer over Wegmans. I HATE going in my shoprite physically, cuz their parking lot and layout inside drives me crazy. So paying that flat fee is so worth my sanity, and I do this every 2 weeks.

It’s really worth it cuz it’s near my OTF gym, so I often pull in and wait in my car after my workouts. The time alone from spending inside is my time to put in an extra workout. So if you’re having to give up time from something else to do grocery shopping, then curbside is definitely something to look into!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

specialp
11-11-2019, 12:30 PM
Most stores here have it. For some there is a markup on items, some a charge, and Walmart is free. I am a menu maker and planner and shop from a list person so it doesn’t save money, but can time. I tend to use it when DH is out of town so it’s all on me to drop off and pickup from practice. At practice one night I can make my order for pickup during next night’s practice so I feel like I am filling dead time. Otherwise, It is easier for me to do it myself since I already have a menu and list and ordering does take time. I still shop fresh produce and meat at a smaller store. The only issue is substitutions. I’m picky about some things and not others. You can opt out of them.

newnana
11-11-2019, 12:33 PM
We started using it when DH was very ill and I was exhausted from caring for him. I am so grateful for this service and much prefer it now that I know about it. Ours is a $5.95 fee per order and the first month of use was free. We do keep a list on our Alexa (messy hands while making dinner and run out of x? "Alexa, add x to the shopping list") These 2 things in my life have greatly improved my forgetting to add things to my list, take my list with me, spend time at the grocery store.

Ours is through our locally branded Kroger chain, using instacart. This means I can shop the sales and apply coupons. In addition to doing this electronically, when they bring the groceries out to the car they ask if I have any additional coupons to apply and will do it right there before finalizing the bill. Bonus that it remembers my list if I have a majority of repeats (always at my house) saving me time shopping online, too. I can also use the grocery store gift cards used as fundraisers for our school.

Picking out fruits and veggies: This is the part that I was initially skeptical about. They do a great job. For me, the selection of produce is always better at my grocery store than at Wal-Mart, so I am not overly surprised by this, but also, the folks that are filling the orders do a great job.

Substitutions: this is rare for me. When there has been the need for a substitution, I generally get an email or text (depending on my preference) stating what item cannot be supplied and what item is the intended substitution, at that point I can accept or reject. When there has been a substitution, even if I accepted it, the person delivering to my car shows it to me and re-confirms it's okay. If it's not, they remove it from the cart and the bill at that time.

Our grocery store is insane. It and the parking lot are ALWAYS chaos. There are too few grocery stores in the region so it is serving too large a population. Maybe because of that, their food is always fresh and reliable because the turnover is so high? That being said, it's hard to get a parking spot. Ever. They have 10 spots open for this service and there is generally one available. Woohoo! Navigating a crowded store always takes me over an hour and the checkout lines are LOOOONG. Let's pretend this is an average shopping trip of 1 hour (I wish, it's a time suck and not a good one). Would I pay $6 to get an hour back in my life? You bet I would. I do.

Thanks for the reminder, I'm going to go start my cart now. I like to let it sit for about 24 hours and announce it to my family so they can throw on any additions once it's percolated a little bit. This helps me with the "multiple trips" reduction.

The store I use also offers a delivery service, you just select pick up or delivery, but I think the delivery is $12 and I'm up in that area getting DH prescriptions at least once a week anyway, so that's not worth it for me.

Try it. The first time is harder trying to navigate the site and find exactly what you want. Second time is easy peasy. See if they have coupons for the fee. If you don't like it, you don't have to use it again.

HTH!

SnuggleBuggles
11-11-2019, 12:33 PM
I’m sure you have Instacart available for delivery.
I have done curbside and delivery. It’s nice because you can check your house to see if you actually need something vs trying to remember.
I mostly do Whole Foods Prime. I save $ because I don’t impulse buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

bisous
11-11-2019, 01:05 PM
Hmm. Maybe I should try it? I really want to make Sprouts work for me. I love it there but somehow it’s always an annoying trip!

When I put my zip code in for Curbside Pickup for Walmart the nearest one was over one hour away NOT in traffic and that’s just not going to work for me. I wonder if it’s glitchy? Walmart just doesn’t have the same status in CA that it does elsewhere in the country I think.

newnana
11-11-2019, 01:13 PM
I just looked up my closest Sprouts website. They have instacart shopping and the first 14 days are free. See if your's does? Search google for your Sprouts> Click on the website option under the map> bottom left of the page under the Store Services section> mine says Delivery: Powered by Instacart. Click on that and a window opens for your zip code. In the window after that it tells me, *Free Delivery 14 Days with Express

Maybe yours does, too?

MSWR0319
11-11-2019, 02:33 PM
I think you start by meal planning with a detailed list. The friends I know who use it shop at Kroger and Walmart and they love it. It’s a huge time saver for them and saves money preventing impulse buys. We have quite a few food allergies and limitations so the subbing out wouldn’t necessarily work for us so well and I do love to stock up if I find markdown deals on in store items.

:yeahthat:

We also have food allergies so I do not allow substitutions. I wish there was some place where I could type in what brand I would allow for substitutions. Last time I tried it I didn't get hamburger buns because the ones I had picked were out. So then I had to go back to the store to get hamburger buns. Not ideal, but we were able to at least eat dinner that night and I could run to the store when I wanted.

DualvansMommy
11-11-2019, 02:48 PM
Hmm. Maybe I should try it? I really want to make Sprouts work for me. I love it there but somehow it’s always an annoying trip!

When I put my zip code in for Curbside Pickup for Walmart the nearest one was over one hour away NOT in traffic and that’s just not going to work for me. I wonder if it’s glitchy? Walmart just doesn’t have the same status in CA that it does elsewhere in the country I think.

You should try it with your local sprouts store! Nothing to lose by trying it out. If you don’t like it; then you know and try again another time.

For me; it’s so worth it. My Wegmans do text me substitutions, so I can decline to pick out my own alternative or slip item entirely.

I have Walmart near me; 5.5 miles away but I never shop there even though I pass it by indirectly to my work commute. I’ve better choices closer to me that makes it easy for me to skip Walmart completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SnuggleBuggles
11-11-2019, 03:00 PM
When you do Whole Foods on Prime, they text you to confirm if a substitute is ok. They send the other product info. I didn’t know others didn’t do that.

bisous
11-11-2019, 03:39 PM
When you do Whole Foods on Prime, they text you to confirm if a substitute is ok. They send the other product info. I didn’t know others didn’t do that.

Wait is delivery free from Whole Foods if you're an amazon subscriber or is that an additional cost? We don't shop at Whole Foods much ours is not conveniently located and it tend to think of it as expensive but I kind of want to check it out again. I haven't ever tried shopping it for sales. When our whole family was gluten/casein free we shopped there all the time! (That was a long time ago and we've moved since!) That might make me reconsider a prime membership.

All these cross connected benefits!

AnnieW625
11-11-2019, 04:10 PM
I have never done it. For a while I think Sprouts was available through Amazon Prime, but I think that was before they acquired Whole Foods, but from my understanding Whole Foods pick up works exactly like SnuggleBuggles says.

I ended up starting Blue Apron about 6 months ago and then switching to Hello Fresh (and might and even try another service maybe Home Chef) though meals are delivered and I get three meals a week for four people I still feel like I am spending the same amount of money as I was grocery shopping weekly and I have less waste because I am not overbuying and I don’t have to meal plan because it is all there. I still go to the market about once every two weeks for staples like bread and fruit, and about every 6 weeks for Costco. I also sometimes add extra meat or veggies and then have enough for lunches during the week.

SnuggleBuggles
11-11-2019, 04:30 PM
Wait is delivery free from Whole Foods if you're an amazon subscriber or is that an additional cost? We don't shop at Whole Foods much ours is not conveniently located and it tend to think of it as expensive but I kind of want to check it out again. I haven't ever tried shopping it for sales. When our whole family was gluten/casein free we shopped there all the time! (That was a long time ago and we've moved since!) That might make me reconsider a prime membership.

All these cross connected benefits!

It's a free prime benefit. They do suggest tipping your delivery person but it isn't mandatory and delivery is free (most windows- can go up day before a big holiday or if you want a 1 hour instead of a 2 hour window). Tips are automatically added (10%) but you can modify. It is expensive for some things but you do get better quality. I mostly use it for dairy and meat but their store brand (non organic) isn't that badly priced at all for pantry staples.

carolinacool
11-11-2019, 05:07 PM
Back in the spring, I did pickup three times at Harris Teeter (chain mostly in the southeast). The first time was free. After that, it's $4.95 an order, although I've been told they run specials every now and then. I don't know. Maybe I'm just lazy, but I found the process of navigating the site, picking what I wanted, writing notes, etc. to be more effort than just going in the store. I did spend less. I'm not great about making lists, though, so sometimes just going up and down the aisles, or even just seeing the signs for each aisle reminds me "Oh yeah, I need pancake syrup."

I would presume it gets easier once you build up a big list of things you normally buy, so you're not doing a lot of hunting and pecking for individual items.

smilequeen
11-11-2019, 06:16 PM
I do instacart all.the.time. But delivery, not pick up. Such a positive change in my schedule. I usually have them shopping while I'm working out and get my food before I shower. Saves me so much time. Since they dropped Whole Foods I'm going to have to try the Whole Foods version. They've done a good job with produce so far and I always get a text if they need to substitute something.

NCGrandma
11-11-2019, 07:03 PM
I do instacart all.the.time. But delivery, not pick up. Such a positive change in my schedule. I usually have them shopping while I'm working out and get my food before I shower. Saves me so much time. Since they dropped Whole Foods I'm going to have to try the Whole Foods version. They've done a good job with produce so far and I always get a text if they need to substitute something.

It’s been a while since I’ve used Instacart but I had no idea they had dropped WF. And the stores they list for delivery in my area include several that have no nearby locations. Delivery in one hour from Wegmans? I don’t think so! The nearest one is more than 30 miles away!

Oh, and WF/Amazon only offers me the opportunity to request an invitation for free delivery!! Yep, I’ve had Prime for years, but apparently I can’t yet get delivery from WF because too many others already use it.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

azzeps
11-11-2019, 07:36 PM
Do you have Kroger stores? I use Fred Meyer ClickList nearly every week! It is absolutely worth the $5 it costs to have someone else do the shopping. They text me with any substitutions ahead of time, and anything can be refused when they bring it out to the car. It could be I'm not that picky because I really, really don't enjoy walking around the store to pick my own stuff! :) Totally worth the 5 bucks, in my opinion!

bisous
11-11-2019, 08:46 PM
Do you have Kroger stores? I use Fred Meyer ClickList nearly every week! It is absolutely worth the $5 it costs to have someone else do the shopping. They text me with any substitutions ahead of time, and anything can be refused when they bring it out to the car. It could be I'm not that picky because I really, really don't enjoy walking around the store to pick my own stuff! :) Totally worth the 5 bucks, in my opinion!

Ooh! I didn’t think I did but I do! Ralph’s is a Kroger store and it’s my nearest market. I’ll check that out!

hwin708
11-11-2019, 09:10 PM
Lots of Walmarts still don't have curbside pickup. They have to change the layout of the parking lots, which is easier for some stores than others.

I use a local store for delivery, but I have used Walmart pickup for various things in the past. I am not a list maker either, but I actually think the app-based systems are ideal for that. They remember what you've bought in the past, so it becomes easy over time to quickly restock the things you need, and simply add on the things you need right now. You pay the same price as in-store, and they will even refund you if the price drops before pickup. And the system at Walmart is VERY easy. They come out with your stuff in under 5 minutes, and you can just pop your trunk and they will load it all in. Plus they are not allowed to take tips, so I never have to worry about having cash. All in all, I would say the Walmart pickup definitely saves time and money without any catches. (Though I hate the substitutions and opted out)

But that is definitely not true of every service. Instacart definitely is notorious for marking up the prices on items, so if you are buying a lot, you could be unknowingly paying a "fee" of over $20. But that markup varies WILDLY by area. So you really do have to research each option for your specific area.

gatorsmom
11-11-2019, 09:50 PM
When we first moved to St. Paul, we fell in love with Simon Delivers. They had a fantastic grocery delivery service. The prices were reasonable and with 4 kids age 5 and under and a husband who traveled all the time, they were life-savers.

The closest thing we have to that now is a service curb-side service. We have Target, Walmart and a couple of local grocery store services. I find I make fewer impulse purchases and would rather look online for a product than run up and down aisles. The one I use most often costs $5 percent which is fine considering I typically save money shopping this way.

Kestrel
11-12-2019, 12:24 AM
I love my Fred Meyer (Kroger) curbside pick up!

They divide the site into parts - a "start my cart" with your 50 or so most often purchased items. (Based on your customer loyalty card.) Sometimes, this is not so good... like when peanut M&M's come up as most frequently purchased.... a "my sale items" items you have purchased in the past that are now on sale.... and a "recently purchased. You can just click on the item to add to your cart, so using these, your shopping goes faster the more often you use it. They have regular search functions, too, of course. They also have digital coupons, so you don't have to mess with cutting/remembering them, and they give you extra coupons based on your purchases. They do email or text if they are out of something, but I have found out what days my store gets shipments, so I can order when they are best stocked! ;) But, at least for me, most of my subs are them giving me the larger size when they are out of the smaller one - AND they give me the price of the one I ordered. We always have the option to refuse subs at the car, and they keep them separate so they're not digging through your stuff looking for them. That being said, subs are unusual - less than one in a hundred items, I'd guess.

In any case, I think that between the alerts when items I buy are on sale and coupons, it more than makes up for the 4.95 charge - though I don't like the charge. I'm hoping now that Walmart is free pick up, it will get reduced or waved for orders over $100 or something similar.

c&j04
11-12-2019, 01:02 AM
Kroger is free til the end of the year!

KpbS
11-12-2019, 02:02 AM
Kroger is the best. :heartbeat: If you have a Kroger owned store nearby, go for it! Their membership system actually makes it so easy to see what you have bought in the past and reorder.

umsh
11-12-2019, 02:09 AM
I love my Fred Meyer (Kroger) curbside pick up!

They divide the site into parts - a "start my cart" with your 50 or so most often purchased items. (Based on your customer loyalty card.) Sometimes, this is not so good... like when peanut M&M's come up as most frequently purchased.... a "my sale items" items you have purchased in the past that are now on sale.... and a "recently purchased. You can just click on the item to add to your cart, so using these, your shopping goes faster the more often you use it. They have regular search functions, too, of course. They also have digital coupons, so you don't have to mess with cutting/remembering them, and they give you extra coupons based on your purchases. They do email or text if they are out of something, but I have found out what days my store gets shipments, so I can order when they are best stocked! ;) But, at least for me, most of my subs are them giving me the larger size when they are out of the smaller one - AND they give me the price of the one I ordered. We always have the option to refuse subs at the car, and they keep them separate so they're not digging through your stuff looking for them. That being said, subs are unusual - less than one in a hundred items, I'd guess.

In any case, I think that between the alerts when items I buy are on sale and coupons, it more than makes up for the 4.95 charge - though I don't like the charge. I'm hoping now that Walmart is free pick up, it will get reduced or waved for orders over $100 or something similar.

I’m so glad you mentioned the start my cart feature! I’ve been meaning to try Kroger for a while but would always get overwhelmed...this should help a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2khj
11-12-2019, 10:38 AM
I use pickup at least once a week at Walmart and HEB. Sometimes I will use Kroger, but recently it seems HEB has been cheaper.

Walmart is 100% free to use.
HEB charges a small percentage of the items, plus 4.95 (for same day pickup). If you order a day ahead, the 4.95 is waived.
Kroger used to charge 4.95 as well, but I haven't used it in awhile, so I'm not sure if it has changed.

I love that I can compare the prices and get the item at whatever store is cheapest. I stick to the grocery stores for Produce and Meat, unless I'm in a pinch. I have very rarely (like maybe once in the past 2 years) had an issue with the quality of produce/meat that was selected for me. I even had them (HEB) call me once to tell me the sell by date on an item I wanted as really close and did I still want it, or did I want to pick something different. The substitutions can be turned down at the car, I've only had to do that once where the item selected was not close to what I ordered. We have had a few mishaps (missing items, received someone elses items), but all three stores have been great about making it right. ETA - if I'm super picky about a brand or product, I will just turn off subs for that item.

I also find I spend less, because for the most part I stick to what is on my list and don't have a lot of impulse buys.

It has been a game-changer for me!

belovedgandp
11-12-2019, 04:26 PM
I ADORE grocery pick-up.

We're in the midwest and my go to grocery store is Hy-Vee. I used to have them deliver to my home. If the order was $100 it was free and they brought the bags to my kitchen counter. I'd tip the driver but still a bargain for my time, driving, frustration and impulse purchases. When I moved my delivery store changed and I do not like that store. I'm about equal distance from three stores but the delivery boundaries are strict. I went to pick-up. It is free at $30. The lead window is 6-12 hours depending on time of day. I pick a one hour window and in dozens of times they have missed the window once and did call me.

Their online shopping has gotten much better. We're creatures of habit so our frequently purchased items are pulled first to buy again.

On certain things I do make a note if I do not want to allow substitutions.

I don't trust them for some fruits or certain types of meat.

I don't shop at WalMart so no comparison there.

My normal routine is to go to Costco once a week, Hy-Vee order about every 10-14 days, and a random once a month visit to Target.

TwinFoxes
11-12-2019, 06:04 PM
I've never done pickup, but I've done delivery a fair amount. I had a knee injury 1.5 years ago, and it was a lifesaver. I still use it every now and again. I actually like grocery shopping, but sometimes I just can't seem to fit it in. I use Instacart for Wegman's most often. They do a pretty good job, I select what replacements I want if they're out of an item. If I haven't selected a replacement they text me. Prices are often more expensive, and there's a delivery charge and a service charge (the service charge used to be optional on Instacart but now it's not, this is in addition to the driver's tip.) Just be mindful of various charges before you start ordering. I've used Peapod for Safeway a few times and it kind of sucked, icky produce and random replacements (sorry, diet soda for regular makes no sense to me). Even though I have Prime I haven't used it for WF delivery, the selection online isn't as good as in-store. There are no major grocery stores around here that doesn't do delivery, except H-Mart and of course Trader Joe's. If Trader Joe's offered delivery that would be a game changer for me!

You mentioned you shop at Costco a lot. You should see if your Costco delivers, ours does. (Instacart.)

I highly recommend Target's drive-up service for household goods. I'm a walking meme when it comes to Target, I go to buy detergent and end up with a cartful. Their drive-up service rocks and definitely saves me money. They are really quick and put the stuff right in my trunk.

OP, I think you should give it a try one week when you're busy. It really comes in handy.

trales
11-12-2019, 10:13 PM
We don't have delivery services way out here, but we do have curbside pick up. It is so busy now, you have to book 4 days in advance. The charge is $3.00. I use it for returning from vacation. When we go see my mom for a week, I schedule the pickup for the way home from the airport and have groceries ready.

TwinFoxes
11-13-2019, 08:34 AM
I use it for returning from vacation. When we go see my mom for a week, I schedule the pickup for the way home from the airport and have groceries ready.

That's smart.

AngB
11-13-2019, 12:56 PM
We don't have delivery services way out here, but we do have curbside pick up. It is so busy now, you have to book 4 days in advance. The charge is $3.00. I use it for returning from vacation. When we go see my mom for a week, I schedule the pickup for the way home from the airport and have groceries ready.

^ I put a Walmart grocery pickup order in on our way to Florida and we stopped and picked up groceries for the week after checking into our condo and on our way home from dinner. Sooooo easy.

We do walmart grocery pick up weekly at least. It's amazing! There is a walmart that has it on our way to my son's preschool so I usually schedule pick ups for after I drop him off. I have also scheduled them for DH to pick up on his way home from work.

nfceagles
11-13-2019, 05:23 PM
^ I put a Walmart grocery pickup order in on our way to Florida and we stopped and picked up groceries for the week after checking into our condo and on our way home from dinner. Sooooo easy.

We do walmart grocery pick up weekly at least. It's amazing! There is a walmart that has it on our way to my son's preschool so I usually schedule pick ups for after I drop him off. I have also scheduled them for DH to pick up on his way home from work.

I once scheduled a Walmart pickup in Utah for after we picked up an RV rental for a Yellowstone vacation. It was so much easier and faster than navigating an unfamiliar grocery store after a long day flying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngB
11-13-2019, 05:34 PM
I once scheduled a Walmart pickup in Utah for after we picked up an RV rental for a Yellowstone vacation. It was so much easier and faster than navigating an unfamiliar grocery store after a long day flying.

Yes! Plus it's such a drag to go grocery shopping on "vacation" time. To me, cooking is bad enough (although with 4 young kids eating out isn't really a picnic either so cooking wins.)

essnce629
11-25-2019, 02:06 AM
It's a free prime benefit. They do suggest tipping your delivery person but it isn't mandatory and delivery is free (most windows- can go up day before a big holiday or if you want a 1 hour instead of a 2 hour window). Tips are automatically added (10%) but you can modify. It is expensive for some things but you do get better quality. I mostly use it for dairy and meat but their store brand (non organic) isn't that badly priced at all for pantry staples.

How much do you usually tip for Whole Foods delivery?

I just placed an order for delivery tomorrow that was a total of $115. They automatically added on $18 for tip, which seems like a lot!!! I did some more research and Whole Foods delivery is not like Instacart in that the Whole Food delivery drivers are not actually going into the store and picking out every item for you. The Whole Foods in store employees are, and then the drivers are just picking up your bags and driving them to you. Only the driver gets the tip, not the Whole Foods in store employee who is actually picking out and packing your food. So the Whole Foods delivery drivers are more like pizza delivery drivers.

SnuggleBuggles
11-25-2019, 08:24 AM
How much do you usually tip for Whole Foods delivery?

I just placed an order for delivery tomorrow that was a total of $115. They automatically added on $18 for tip, which seems like a lot!!! I did some more research and Whole Foods delivery is not like Instacart in that the Whole Food delivery drivers are not actually going into the store and picking out every item for you. The Whole Foods in store employees are, and then the drivers are just picking up your bags and driving them to you. Only the driver gets the tip, not the Whole Foods in store employee who is actually picking out and packing your food. So the Whole Foods delivery drivers are more like pizza delivery drivers.

Usually do 10%, which is the default here. I’ve adjusted it down before when I’ve had really big orders. I think $15 would be my max.