PDA

View Full Version : What streaming services do you use?

bisous
11-11-2019, 01:02 PM
We quit Netflix in anticipation of Disney Plus. We just upgraded to Spotify Premium family too. We don’t have any other pay subscriptions. We do use the Roku channel, the BYU channel (that’s my alma mater), Disney NOW (which we get because DH is an employee), and Kanopy, which are all free.

We used to subscribe to much more including Hulu, Amazon Prime, and VidAngel but I don’t miss them. (Maybe occasionally the free fast shipping on Prime?)

I LOVE Spotify premium. DH, DS1 and I all use it all the time and mostly on mobile. We have unlimited data too.

I’m excited about Disney Plus. We got the 3 year deal offered a few months back so it better be good, lol!

I personally almost never watch anything on TV so I haven’t missed Netflix at all but my kids did have some shows they really love and they are sad. DS1 is crushed he won’t be able to watch Stranger Things. DDs favorite show is a Netflix exclusive. Good thing Grandma still has it!

What are you subscribing to and liking?

georgiegirl
11-11-2019, 01:07 PM
YouTube TV, Netflix, and Prime. And then others when there’s a show we want to watch : Hulu for handmaid’a tale, HBO, Showtime, or Starz...but only for that show and then we cancel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PZMommy
11-11-2019, 02:39 PM
We do Netflix, Hulu, and Disney plus. I have amazon prime, but have never streamed music or video from them. I use the free version of Spotify. Plus we have cable with all of the extra packages.

mom2binsd
11-11-2019, 03:00 PM
Watch around Thanksgiving for a deal on Hulu (not Hulu live), I got a year at 99 ¢ a month. They have so many options of older and newer shows (on a day delay for TV shows) and lots of movies. I'm currently enjoying watching ER again!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

essnce629
11-11-2019, 03:23 PM
YouTube TV, Netflix, and Prime. And then others when there’s a show we want to watch : Hulu for handmaid’a tale, HBO, Showtime, or Starz...but only for that show and then we cancel.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkSame!

YouTube TV, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. Hulu for Handmaid's Tale. DH would get HBO for Game of Thrones.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk

wendibird22
11-11-2019, 03:28 PM
YouTube TV, Netflix, and Prime.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same here. Just switched to YouTube TV from DirectTVnow because they were feuding with ABC, NBC, CBS.

I use prime music quite a bit and also have apple music because I have an apple watch with cellular and I like to stream music while I run and you can't do spotify or pandora on your watch.

We will probably consider a subscription to disney.

bisous
11-11-2019, 03:36 PM
Watch around Thanksgiving for a deal on Hulu (not Hulu live), I got a year at 99 ¢ a month. They have so many options of older and newer shows (on a day delay for TV shows) and lots of movies. I'm currently enjoying watching ER again!

That's a great price! I'd be ok paying that. DH does like watching TV sometimes and did enjoy watching it on Hulu (albeit usually a day later).

I forgot that when the Olympics happens again in 2020 we'll be watching via Sling, most likely. We just get like a month subscription. Way worth the $25 or so!

AnnieW625
11-11-2019, 05:12 PM
We pay for Netflix, Amazon Prime, and the basic one device Amazon Unlimited Music. We also have SiriusXM streaming at home as part of our included subscription.

I have had Pandora free since 2007 or so and Dd1 recently downloaded Spotify, but I haven’t played around with it yet.

We have regular cable as we’ll because every time I look at dropping cable and going streaming only it doesn’t save me any money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

khm
11-11-2019, 05:25 PM
We pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime. Amazon, I do for the shopping, but they do have a lot of good stuff. My husband has been burning through older HBO stuff recently. I don't think I'd pay for it just for streaming, but it is a nice bonus.

Hulu I get free from Sprint. I understood it was only supposed to work on one cell phone, but it works anywhere with my login. It is also nice, but I'm not sure I'd pay for it either.

We do have Spotify paid (family?). My daughter wanted it for her birthday last year. I do like it, but don't use it like crazy like she does. I'd certainly do the free version if she hadn't wanted it for a gift.

We still have cable. Paying for internet alone is very nearly the same price as paying for internet plus cable, so we keep it. The same held true when we had internet plus DirecTV. Streaming is great when you have something you know you want to watch. But, cable is nice to just grab the remote and tune in something mindless like HGTV or happening upon an old movie I loved vs. scrolling through a streaming service and just not finding anything to have on in the background. (I realize I shouldn't have the TV on in the background, but that's the way I roll.) :)

JBaxter
11-11-2019, 05:47 PM
We have Prime ( because I have a amazon addiction) Hulu because it comes with our sprint and we leech off my oldest son's Netflix when we went to watch something he does the same with our HBO & Hulu. We have cable because my DH is a sports addict. Soccer ( more soccer) Football and Oh Hockey cant forget hockey.

mom2binsd
11-11-2019, 06:36 PM
Tell me about the sprint free Hulu, I have Sprint but don't know if it includes Hulu, my cheap subscription runs out next month. Is it Hulu live?

mom2binsd
11-11-2019, 06:38 PM
I also have direct TV once again, it's cheap, like 38 a month cause we had to have it to watch hockey and I love the ease of just turning on a TV and not having to cast (I don't have a smart TV, it's a "c student TV", only has Netflix and YouTube.

khm
11-11-2019, 06:41 PM
Tell me about the sprint free Hulu, I have Sprint but don't know if it includes Hulu, my cheap subscription runs out next month. Is it Hulu live?

No, it's not Hulu Live. Yickes, that's pricey though! $45/mo?!

It just regular Hulu if you have Sprint Unlimited.

https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/services/hulu.html

mom2khj
11-12-2019, 10:43 AM
We just switched to YouTube TV from Playstation Vue.
We've had Netflix since it first came out.
We have Hulu, was only supposed to keep it until we finished Brooklyn 99, but we're behind in watching it so we still have it. I believe DD1 uses it quite a bit so we'll probably keep it.
We have Spotify Family and I have Apple Music for me (part of my Verizon plan).
We just got Disney+ from Verizon for the first year free.
We have Amazon prime because of the shipping, the streaming service is a bonus. Though I now watch a few exclusives so we'd likely keep it anyways, even if we didn't want the shipping.

I think that's it? LOL

Even with all that, the total is less than we were paying for cable+internet through Xfinity. Mostly because we don't have the cost of extra cable boxes.

gatorsmom
11-12-2019, 11:11 AM
We have Amazon Prime anyway so we use their streaming service a lot. We’ve had Netflix for a while. We just recently picked up Showtime for a series and have been watching their movies. But that’s it. We don’t have cable and don’t watch a lot of TV here. Lots of movies.

melrose7
11-12-2019, 11:31 AM
We pay for the $.99/month Hulu deal from last year but it’s about to expire. Not sure if I can get that deal again but we don’t use it a lot. Also pay for prime with unlimited amazon music. That is used daily by everyone. We are all streaming music on our devices. We also have a TiVo to record shows from our antenna. We use Netflix and YouTube Tv through my parents. Will probably get Showtime when the final season of Homeland comes out next year if we don’t get the Hulu deal again.

AnnieW625
11-12-2019, 12:29 PM
I also have direct TV once again, it's cheap, like 38 a month cause we had to have it to watch hockey and I love the ease of just turning on a TV and not having to cast (I don't have a smart TV, it's a "c student TV", only has Netflix and YouTube.

Yes to the bolded part....Since I really got hooked on hockey in 2012 (sort of followed it prior) due to finding the hockey station on SiriusXM and the Kings winning their first cup I just find it easier and thankfully I don’t follow an out of market team for us I don’t have to also get NHL Game Day. If I had to do that and could still get a few other networks like Cartoon Network, AMC, and HGTV plus locals through streaming and then pay for NHL Game Day then I might consider cancelling the cable, but I seriously love the ease of just turning on the tv!

basil
11-12-2019, 12:40 PM
We have amazon prime mainly for shopping and I think we are using my dads Netflix account. We used to have Hulu but canceled. We had youtubetv to watch baseball over the summer but cancelled that. I did like that for fluffy shows to watch while exercising, but not worth the price for that.
I just got an email that I get a free year of appletv because I bought a new phone, but haven’t really looked at it yet.
When I do watch something I actually like to watch regular YouTube.

elbenn
11-12-2019, 01:08 PM
We have Netflix, Prime Video, and AT&T TV (used to be Dish or Direct and changed over to AT&T).

For those with YouTube TV, is there a DVR feature? I don't currently have a DVR feature on any of my streaming subscriptions, but I would like one.

bisous
11-12-2019, 02:52 PM
Anyone care to share how prime works for music? Is it like Spotify? Can you have it on multiple devices? And what’s this “free Apple TV with purchase of an Apple product” deal! We purchased 3 iPhones and a Mac mini this year!

PunkyBoo
11-12-2019, 04:21 PM
Anyone care to share how prime works for music? Is it like Spotify? Can you have it on multiple devices? And what’s this “free Apple TV with purchase of an Apple product” deal! We purchased 3 iPhones and a Mac mini this year!I use Amazon prime music all the time. On my desktop at work, or on the echo at home. Wet have an echo dot upstairs in the playroom and the kids can listen to music while I listen to something else on the echo in the kitchen. The echo and dot are linked to my prime account already, so we just say "Alexa, play 80's rock on prime music". On my desktop, I just log into my Amazon account and click to stream Amazon prime music. On my phone (we have androids) I have the prime music app.

I can't answer your other questions...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday
11-12-2019, 04:25 PM
We have Netflix and Prime Video, and are considering subscribing to Disney+ (the premium service would also give us Hulu, which we didn't have before, so it might be worth it) but not 100% sold on it yet.

We still have cable and will have to massage our package because they shifted TCM from the regular "movies" package to the sportsball package and I don't want to give up HBO.

basil
11-12-2019, 04:38 PM
We have Netflix, Prime Video, and AT&T TV (used to be Dish or Direct and changed over to AT&T).

For those with YouTube TV, is there a DVR feature? I don't currently have a DVR feature on any of my streaming subscriptions, but I would like one.

Yes youtubetv has a dvr type feature. It was nice so DS could watch the baseball games without staying up til 10 pm.

mom2khj
11-12-2019, 04:56 PM
Anyone care to share how prime works for music? Is it like Spotify? Can you have it on multiple devices? And what’s this “free Apple TV with purchase of an Apple product” deal! We purchased 3 iPhones and a Mac mini this year!

Not too sure about prime music, but I think it's just like spotify. I think there are different versions (one for prime members and you can also pay more for additional features?)

I forgot I also now have apple tv+ because we bought new phones. Here are the details I found on it: I think I just opened the app on my new phone and it prompted me to redeem my free year.

Get one year free Apple TV+ when you buy a new iPhone, iPad, iPod
touch, Apple TV, or Mac.
Terms and conditions:
• Offer is available for a limited time only.
• Offer cannot be combined with other free trials or offers for Apple TV+.
• Only one offer per Family, regardless of number of devices purchased. You can
share your 1 year free Apple TV+ with up to 5 other family members via Family
Sharing.
• Redeem your 1 year free in the Apple TV app starting November 1, 2019. Make
sure your eligible device is running the latest iOS, iPadOS, tvOS, or macOS.
• Offer must be claimed in the Apple TV app within 3 months after first setting
up your new device. To see the offer appear, you will need to sign in with your
Apple ID on your new device. If you’ve purchased your new device before the
launch of Apple TV+ on November 1, you will have 3 months starting November
1 to redeem.
• Upon claiming the offer, you commit to a $4.99/month subscription that starts
immediately after the 1 year free and automatically renews until cancelled.
You can cancel at any time in Settings at least a day before each renewal date.
If you cancel during your free year, you and your family members will
immediately lose access to Apple TV+ and the remainder of your 1-year free
trial. You can’t reactivate this trial.
Eligible devices:
• Any new iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, or Mac capable of running the
latest iOS, iPadOS, tvOS, or macOS purchased after September 10, 2019, from
Apple or an Apple authorized reseller, is eligible.

AngB
11-12-2019, 05:42 PM
We just switched to YouTube TV from Playstation Vue.
We've had Netflix since it first came out.
We have Hulu, was only supposed to keep it until we finished Brooklyn 99, but we're behind in watching it so we still have it. I believe DD1 uses it quite a bit so we'll probably keep it.
We have Spotify Family and I have Apple Music for me (part of my Verizon plan).
We just got Disney+ from Verizon for the first year free.
We have Amazon prime because of the shipping, the streaming service is a bonus. Though I now watch a few exclusives so we'd likely keep it anyways, even if we didn't want the shipping.

I think that's it? LOL

Even with all that, the total is less than we were paying for cable+internet through Xfinity. Mostly because we don't have the cost of extra cable boxes.

How do you like YouTube tv compared to playstation vue? We are still currently using PSVue but know it's ending soon. :(

mom2khj
11-12-2019, 05:45 PM
How do you like YouTube tv compared to playstation vue? We are still currently using PSVue but know it's ending soon. :(

I actually like it much better. The guide and dvr work in a way that is much better for how I watch tv.

I had switched just before the news came out and am glad the switch was worth it once the news about vue came out.

AnnieW625
11-12-2019, 06:02 PM
For Amazon Music Unlimited it is $7.99 per month for one device and $14.99 a month for a family of devices. I use it for listening to albums and occasional stations through Alexa or on my phone when I am driving. I am tempted to bump up my subscription from single device to family device because my grandma’s echo dot hooked up to my cell phone as she doesn’t have a smart phone.

For Amazon Prime Music there are only certain albums, songs, or artists available and they can come and go, but on Unlimited Music there is a much broader range of artists. I like more than Apple Music Unlimited for some reason.

Melaine
11-12-2019, 06:15 PM
We currently have netflix, hulu, and the cheap deal for Disney Plus. We don't have cable and somehow I got grandfathered into sharing my dad's amazon account so I can't watch tv but don't have to pay for prime shipping, so I'm not messing with it. We just did one month of Philo just for the Hallmark content but after it expires we may join FRNDLY TV for Hallmark content. I will probably cancel Hulu since we had the crazy 99 cent deal.

DualvansMommy
11-12-2019, 06:48 PM
We still have cable and will have to massage our package because they shifted TCM from the regular "movies" package to the sportsball package and I don't want to give up HBO.

Have you figured out a way to watch TCM elsewhere?? We’ve same cable company, I think due to locations from each other. My husband is quite annoyed by the new change with TCM, and we’ve tried to google. Also tried Hulu which supposedly advertised having TCM but it’s only select programs and movies, not the whole TCM channel that DH wants.

Anyone know?? I appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lizzywednesday
11-12-2019, 07:41 PM
Have you figured out a way to watch TCM elsewhere?? We’ve same cable company, I think due to locations from each other. My husband is quite annoyed by the new change with TCM, and we’ve tried to google. Also tried Hulu which supposedly advertised having TCM but it’s only select programs and movies, not the whole TCM channel that DH wants.

Anyone know?? I appreciate it!

I have the "WatchTCM" app on my smartphone, but that's only the movie DB with certain intros from Robert Osborne (still miss him!) and Ben Mankiewicz. Overall, the selection of films is excellent, but it's kind of nice to be able to enjoy the theme nights and the co-hosts for The Essentials ...

liz
11-14-2019, 09:42 AM
We have Amazon Prime, Netflix and now Disney+. We have Prime mostly for free shipping and because we own an Echo/Tap/Dot, to stream music. We stream music that's included in the basic Prime package. I'll admit it is annoying when a song or artist suddenly becomes available only on the paid version of Amazon Music, but I just can't seem to pay for one more "add on".

We finally cut cable (Comcast, hiss boo) and we have been very happy with the savings. We tried YouTube TV for a few months, mostly for sports. We got rid of it when my DH bought a $35 house antenna. We get HD channels and can watch sports and local and national news over the air without paying for a streaming service. Never thought we would go back to antenna lol. Sadly my last generation TiVo doesn't work as a DVR anymore (need cable/cable cards), so we don't have a DVR.

carolinacool
11-14-2019, 11:06 AM
We have Amazon Prime and our friends added us to their Netflix profile. But we still have cable. We watch a ton of sports, and cable just makes it so easy.

fauve01
11-16-2019, 05:17 PM

thanks for that tip! i would love a Hulu deal like that!

AnnieW625
11-16-2019, 07:52 PM
For anyone interested in Disney Plus If you have Verizon Wireless Unlimited Data you can get a year of free Disney Plus and if you already a bought a Disney Plus package it will just extend that package by a year. It takes about 2 seconds to add it to your account.