PDA

View Full Version : Want/Need/Wear/Read

KpbS
11-11-2019, 02:47 PM
For those of you who buy Christmas presents within this framework, care to share what you are choosing for your DC?

We are doing it to simplify Christmas (refocus Christmas), to save money, and my kids don't need anything! :tongue5:

ourbabygirl
11-11-2019, 06:38 PM
I usually do this every year, too, and don't really have gift ideas yet (plus our 11 year old wants a Chromebook and a puppy for Christmas- not gonna happen!).
However, keep an eye out in the Bargains area around Black Friday for the Amazon book code- it's usually $5 off $25, I believe, and I use mine towards a book for DC (I've gotten DS the nice Harry Potter illustrated books). DD plays piano, so I may get her a nice songbook as her 'read' or 'need' this year.

For 'wear' or 'need,' I've bought Crocs, rain or snow boots, goggles, things like that.

jennilynn
11-11-2019, 08:47 PM
We do this too but I haven’t quite settled on each item yet. A “need” for us is usually something like a backpack, sleeping bag, sports equipment, bike, scooter, etc. I usually get a couple of new board or card games too. (Already ordered Klask)

DS (11)
Want: Kano computer or coding kit
Need: ??
Wear: NBA team shirt
Read: Muse magazine
DS (9)
Want: Beyblades
Need: yoga mat
Wear: NBA team shirt
Read: Big Life journal or similar
DD (6)
Want: Veterinarian doll clothes
Need: Soccer backpack
Wear: Garmin V*vofit
Read: Unicorn society book

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marinkitty
11-12-2019, 12:15 AM
Mine are 12, 14 and 16. I think it's going to be super easy this year, actually. I love the want, need, wear, read thing because my kids don't actually even want much (of course when they do it is expensive!), but they always need things for winter/trips/camps/school/activities and this way I can use two of the categories to knock those out and rebrand them as gifts.

Their want is going to be air pods for all three (they just have the ear buds that come with the phones now). The boys usually wear over the ear headphones at home, but DD lives with ear buds in and the boys would love something better for out of the house and running. Only the boys have asked for them but I think DD will like having them too.

Their wear I think is going to be new winter boots for all three - probably Timberlands for the boys because they are past the age of playground play and want something they can wear all day at school comfortably. If DS2 needs goof around in the snow boots, DS1 has a billion outgrown pairs of Boggs that he can use. For DD I need to look for something lightweight and cute enough for a teenage girl, but warmish and waterproof. She has a pair of Sorel Joan of Arcs that still fit (I think her foot has stopped growing - halleluyah) but they are too heavy and hot to wear all day at school with a ton of stairs and sometimes overheated classrooms and the kids don't use their lockers at all at her high school so anything she takes to school with her she lugs around all day.

Read is always super easy for my kids who all love to read - haven't thought about it yet but they will each get several books. DS2 is always the hardest because he's always reading things we already have that the older two recommend. DD has a bunch of authors she loves and so I'll figure out what's new from them. DS1 loves books about history/war/military and fantasy so he's pretty easy too.

Not sure about their need yet - maybe I'll do the winter boots for that and then get them each some clothing for the wear - DD could use a new lightweight puffer coat for school or a dress coat for church (she's been borrowing one of mine but I'm 5'8" and she's 5'3" so it's huge on her). DS1 could use more pants for school and a couple of nicer pullovers. DS2 could also use pants and some nicer clothes for church or dinners out. Pretty sure we are missing a fair number of winter gloves too!

We also give a Santa gift for each kid even though we are well past Santa age. DS2 wants a GoPro. I haven't priced those yet to know if one will fit into our Santa budget. The other two have asked for nothing but DD loves spendy skincare and makeup so I may make her a basket of Sephora and Ulta goodies. I suspect DS1 will end up with cash because I know he's saving for a new graphics card for his PC he built last year and that is too expensive for Santa so we could do money toward it.