PDA

View Full Version : which martial art for 10yo DS?

Kestrel
11-12-2019, 09:14 PM
Does anyone have a recommendation on which martial art DS should start? He has never studied before. My concern is that he is huge for his age - 5'5" and maybe 150 pounds, at 10.5 years old. I'm afraid that his size would put him at a disadvantage as a beginner, perhaps even have him training/competing against much more advanced kids. Also, he's at a real "coltish" stage of growth; all long legs and arms, huge feet (men's size ten), and needs to work on balance. At a friend's suggestion, we're looking into judo. Any others we should explore?

daisyd
11-12-2019, 09:49 PM
Does anyone have a recommendation on which martial art DS should start? He has never studied before. My concern is that he is huge for his age - 5'5" and maybe 150 pounds, at 10.5 years old. I'm afraid that his size would put him at a disadvantage as a beginner, perhaps even have him training/competing against much more advanced kids. Also, he's at a real "coltish" stage of growth; all long legs and arms, huge feet (men's size ten), and needs to work on balance. At a friend's suggestion, we're looking into judo. Any others we should explore?

DCs do taekwondo. I've seen kids with your Ds's build do fine as beginners

nfowife
11-12-2019, 09:53 PM
My 14 year old started Tae Kwon Do (Jhoon Rhee) a year ago as a 13 year old. She’s very tall though slim. It’s been great for her and they just pair her with partners of similar size to spar. Also the classes are leveled by belt color so your son won’t be paired with a green belt when he is a white belt simply because of his size. There are kids from about 8 to adults all in classes together at our TKD studio and it’s always leveled by belt color, not age or size (once you are over 8 and not in the little kid classes).

belovedgandp
11-13-2019, 10:29 AM
My husband and oldest DS have been in TaeKwonDo for over ten years. They started at the same time and the younger siblings have followed.

I think finding the correct studio is more important than the actual type of martial arts. There are tons of them out there covering all sorts of practices. They should all offer trial classes at free or low cost to get a feel of the fit. Be sure to check out at least a couple of different places and classes. Many places will want a contract of some type so be informed before committing.

I'd be sure to look at how flexible the schedule is, location, instructor/child personality fit, and all that good stuff.

The beauty of martial arts compared to so many sports is that you can truly start at any age. They will meet your child where they are. There's feedback and progress with new belts. My kids all started young at TKD (6 and under), but many of their peers started between 9 and 14.

specialp
11-13-2019, 10:47 AM
I think finding the correct studio is more important than the actual type of martial arts.

I'd be sure to look at how flexible the schedule is, location, instructor/child personality fit, and all that good stuff.

The beauty of martial arts compared to so many sports is that you can truly start at any age. They will meet your child where they are. There's feedback and progress with new belts. My kids all started young at TKD (6 and under), but many of their peers started between 9 and 14.

Agree. Ask friends in your area about studios to see what is good in your area. As with any extra activity, it needs to work with your schedule and location long term in case they stick with it. Also agree with PP about being paired not only with belt color, but size within that color and skill level so do not worry about that.

pinkmomagain
11-13-2019, 11:17 AM
Another vote for TKD. My dd did it in 3rd grade and then stopped within the year. She asked to try it again last year in 8th grade and is still going now in HS. It's wonderful for so many reasons. There is someone in her studio who has the same build that you described and it's been amazing to watch how their coordination, comfort in their body and strength has progressed!

newnana
11-13-2019, 11:22 AM
I think finding the correct studio is more important than the actual type of martial arts.

Totally agree. The right class with the wrong teacher doesn't work for anything, even martial arts. When DD did TKD (we all loved, but moved and DD wanted to try something new), they let her try a few classes. While I sat and watched, I talked to some of the other parents. All of them talked about how positive and encouraging this particular studio is. Most of them went so far as to call them extended family. This class was at the local rec center, so the class was huge. There were multiple instructors helping all the kids. I didn't think DD would like all the yelling (rec center, large class= instructor yelling to be heard+ push ups, sit ups, etc). She grinned from ear to ear the entire first class, because they kept it fun and instructive. Doing more research, I found out they are nationally recognized and the instructors are all award winning instructors. Not what I expected at the rec center and we couldn't have been more thrilled. Look around, try a few, see what sticks and is convenient. Have fun!