PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Prius 4WD vs Honda CRV?

daisyd
11-16-2019, 03:28 PM
We're unexpectedly in the market for a new car. My car was totalled after being rear-ended last week. We'd sunk a big chunk of money in getting repairs done just a few months ago :(.

After trying to avoid thinking of buying a new car, I've finally started researching a bit. I'm looking for something that is fuel efficient, fairly compact and an all-wheel-drive. I'm trying to decide between a Toyota Prius and a Honda CRV.

Would love to hear your experience and thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
11-16-2019, 03:39 PM
Why a Prius vs RAV4? That’s more comparable to a CRV so just curious.
I think you have to test drive. We bought ours in 2016 and I assumed I’d get the CRV as we like Hondas but I hated the CRV on our test drive. Ultimately came down to the Outback vs RAV4 hybrid and we basically tossed a coin.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

daisyd
11-16-2019, 04:48 PM
Why a Prius vs RAV4? That’s more comparable to a CRV so just curious.
I think you have to test drive. We bought ours in 2016 and I assumed I’d get the CRV as we like Hondas but I hated the CRV on our test drive. Ultimately came down to the Outback vs RAV4 hybrid and we basically tossed a coin.

Thanks for weighing in. I like Hondas too and that's why I was considering CRV. The RAV 4 seems not to get as high a rating as the CRV. The Prius 4WD seems appealing because it seems to have good reviews, the 4WD piece, it's more compact, plus its a hybrid. DH thought the Toyota is not as easy to drive as the Honda. I haven't done the test drive and I plan to do so

PZMommy
11-16-2019, 06:42 PM
If you go with the crv, be sure to check out consumer reports. There is a year or two of them to avoid due to oil leaking into the gas or engine. I can’t recall what the exact problem was but it affected quite a large number of Honda CR-Vs.

I think Prius are too small of a car so I’d go with the crv out of those two choices, but I’d look at the rav4 or the outback before picking either the Prius or crv.

daisyd
11-16-2019, 07:18 PM
If you go with the crv, be sure to check out consumer reports. There is a year or two of them to avoid due to oil leaking into the gas or engine. I can’t recall what the exact problem was but it affected quite a large number of Honda CR-Vs.

I think Prius are too small of a car so I’d go with the crv out of those two choices, but I’d look at the rav4 or the outback before picking either the Prius or crv.

Thanks!

niccig
11-16-2019, 08:23 PM
How big a car do you need? I have a crv and it’s our big car, I can fold all the seats down and stack a lot in the back.

Mommy_Mea
11-17-2019, 06:54 AM
I don't think prius is a small car at all. In my mom's old Prius, we fit five people when needed many times, and my 6'6" Dad ride in it for over 10 years, even for many long road trips.

I was impressed that with the seats down, we could fit good sized cargo in there, including furniture. And with the seats up the cargo space was nice.

When we were shopping for cars, I looked at small SUVs and station wagons (Jetta and Subaru), and was amazed how little second row space many of the small SUVs had, including the RAV4. And that the station wagons had the same or better cargo room (obviously not as tall, but same volume).

So it depends on what you are looking for in a car, if the size and gas mileage of the Prius really works for you, it might be a great fit. I was always jealous of the 50+ mpg my mom got on her car.

niccig
11-17-2019, 02:03 PM
I don't think prius is a small car at all. In my mom's old Prius, we fit five people when needed many times, and my 6'6" Dad ride in it for over 10 years, even for many long road trips.

I was impressed that with the seats down, we could fit good sized cargo in there, including furniture. And with the seats up the cargo space was nice.

When we were shopping for cars, I looked at small SUVs and station wagons (Jetta and Subaru), and was amazed how little second row space many of the small SUVs had, including the RAV4. And that the station wagons had the same or better cargo room (obviously not as tall, but same volume).

So it depends on what you are looking for in a car, if the size and gas mileage of the Prius really works for you, it might be a great fit. I was always jealous of the 50+ mpg my mom got on her car.

It just depends what you are hauling around. I’ve put 2 full sized kitchen cabinets in the back, and we regularly put double kayak on the roof racks. DH used to have a Prius and it didn’t fit what we needed to move. He has an even smaller car now. We use his car on weekends except if we need more cargo room

mom2binsd
11-17-2019, 06:06 PM
I'll toss this idea out there, I notice most on this board rarely drive domestic cars, but my 2008 Ford Edge has been an awesome vehicle, no mechanical issues, perfect size and easy to drive. I have 244K on mine, it's still going strong, has great cargo space and a big backseat. I've borrowed a friends CRV and found it seemed "flimsy".

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

daisyd
11-17-2019, 07:25 PM
How big a car do you need? I have a crv and it’s our big car, I can fold all the seats down and stack a lot in the back.

That was our idea too. The CRV would be our big car.

daisyd
11-17-2019, 07:28 PM
My brother had a Ford focus and loved it. But we got better mileage on our Hondas. Can I ask what the mpg on your Ford is? Thanks!

daisyd
11-17-2019, 07:30 PM
One more question, will I get better deals on Black Friday? If so, I'll wait another week before buying. Thanks!

mom2binsd
11-17-2019, 08:29 PM
Honestly I don't know what specifically I get mileage wise.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AnnieW625
11-18-2019, 12:05 PM
My brother had a Ford focus and loved it. But we got better mileage on our Hondas. Can I ask what the mpg on your Ford is? Thanks!

I don’t own a Ford, but I know others who love their Edge. I know people who have the older models and the newer models and they are all happy with them.

TBH I think mileage depends on driving conditions. We have a 2006 Honda Pilot and a 2017 Subaru Outback. The Pilot advertised 20-24 mpg highway and 15-19 city and in the 13 years we have had the car our average has been about 19-20, maybe 21 in a good week. We have gotten 24 mpg a few times on some long road trips where we have been on the open road. The Outback was listed at 25-32 mpg, but we have been getting about 26 mpg. We live in the Los Angeles area and sit in traffic for at least an hour each day so it is essentially like city driving though. I also know that when I was driving my Honda Pilot on a more regular basis 50 miles per day five days a week I was getting more consistent mileage than I am now, I am definitely in the mid teens right now, but the car is paid for and even with 212k miles on it it works for what we need it for. I am in a vanpool now so I only drive the Pilot on occasion when I don’t vanpool. My husband also gets better gas mileage on his commute than I do.

Quality wise our Honda has hung in there and maybe we will consider another one, but so many other manufacturers have upped their game so what you used to think was high quality in a Honda is now available in many other brands.

I would start emailing dealers (and researching prices on brand specific forums) and finding out who has the best deal on what you want. I honestly don’t think there is ever a great time to buy a car and also watch out for financing specials because sometimes you can get a lower price if you forgo the 0% financing and the savings of 0% won’t be that much more money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newnana
11-18-2019, 12:46 PM
I'm normally a foreign car lover, but for small SUVs, love the Chevy Equinox. Per google, mpg is 28 city/39hwy. I have better visibility in it than many other SUVs and like the way it handles

eta: sorry to add a choice to the list. I hate shopping in general and choices make it worse, it's why I love trader joe's and Costco. But I think this might be worth a drive.

End of the month is always better for car shopping and getting deals for me. Remember when negotiating that in addition to price you can negotiate in other things you want that will cost you as well such as a tow package, roof racks, window tinting, rubber floor mats, heated seats...

robinsmommy
11-18-2019, 03:13 PM
Be very aware of clearance. In deep snow, or on the icy ruts you get in Northern climes, low clearance on a car can be a PITA. BTDT.

Also, I think the Prius is AWD, which is similar, but not the same. And the AWD I think is only functional at certain (lower) speeds. If you are driving highways over mountain passes, that may be good to think about.

daisyd
11-18-2019, 07:28 PM
Thanks all for weighing in. It's helpful to have your perspectives. I've emailed some dealers. But I'll probably have to wait till next weekend which happens to be month end anyways to test drive and buy.