PDA

View Full Version : Lounging around clothes- how many?

SnuggleBuggles
11-19-2019, 09:33 AM
We're getting ready to move and, stupidly, we will have less storage in our bedroom so I am trying to whittle down what I have. I have a ton of clothes that have either been purchased for or relegated to "not good enough to wear outside of the house but comfy and good to wear around the house" clothes. If you're the type that doesn't ever change into comfy clothes, no need to reply. ;) But, if you too wait for that time of day when you know you can just change I am curious how much you keep on hand for lounging? Like how many tops? How many bottoms? (per season) I just can't decide how much to pare it down but if everyone is able to get by with a lot less than I have, I will be better able to part with things. :) Thanks!

hillview
11-19-2019, 10:17 AM
I have 3 pair of lounge pants and maybe 5 tops for fall/winter/spring. For summer I have a couple of skorts and maybe 4 short sleeved tops. This does not include my workout clothes.

ang79
11-19-2019, 10:22 AM
We're getting ready to move and, stupidly, we will have less storage in our bedroom so I am trying to whittle down what I have. I have a ton of clothes that have either been purchased for or relegated to "not good enough to wear outside of the house but comfy and good to wear around the house" clothes. If you're the type that doesn't ever change into comfy clothes, no need to reply. ;) But, if you too wait for that time of day when you know you can just change I am curious how much you keep on hand for lounging? Like how many tops? How many bottoms? (per season) I just can't decide how much to pare it down but if everyone is able to get by with a lot less than I have, I will be better able to part with things. :) Thanks!

I am totally one who loves to change into comfy clothes, especially in the winter when I am cold! I also probably have way too many, but end up wearing them each night and sometimes all day on Saturday if I'm not going anywhere, LOL. Plus, some of them double as workout clothes (yoga pants) or yard work clothes (t-shirts). I'd say pull them all out and get rid of any that you haven't worn in awhile (or now with the changing seasons, get rid of any winter ones you didn't wear last year). Keep the favorites that make you feel comfy and relaxed. I keep all my lounge type clothes and comfy sweatshirts in plastic totes that slide under my bed. DH keeps his in a tote in his closet.

twowhat?
11-19-2019, 11:11 AM
Well...I work from home so I practically live in lounge clothes unless I'm traveling for work. I probably have enough tops and pants for two weeks so that's probably no help :) When I worked out of the home, I was definitely the type to change into lounge clothes immediately upon getting home and had probably enough lounge outfits for a week (I'd re-wear things for a couple of days since I wasn't spending the whole day in them).

But I agree with ang79...save a couple of outfits for things like yard work, painting, gardening, basically stuff that you can work in and get dirty.

jgenie
11-19-2019, 01:55 PM
I generally change into pjs when we’re done for the day. I have six pair of sweatpants / thinner lounging pants if we’re expecting someone.

DualvansMommy
11-19-2019, 02:18 PM
I generally have 5 lounge pants for the winter. 5 more shorter or thinner pants for other seasons. Need to replace one of them. 5 tops for winter plus 4 thinner long sleeve tops for spring and fall evenings.

Summer is my different season as I tend to just lounge in my shorts/skorts I wear during days. I practically live in either short yoga pants with t shirts or swim coverups. Next summer will be my 1st summer in nearly 9 years where I’ve to work full time out of house, so I’ll need to reassess what I need for summers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bisous
11-19-2019, 05:24 PM
Out of curiosity (and hopefully this won’t irk you to ask, OP!) what do these clothes look like? I don’t have anything other than pjs that I don’t also wear out and about. But I’m very comfortable shopping or picking up kids in active wear. Maybe it’s a CA thing? Are you talking sweats? Or jeans? (Maybe your every day is just fancier than me!!)

SnuggleBuggles
11-19-2019, 05:41 PM
Out of curiosity (and hopefully this won’t irk you to ask, OP!) what do these clothes look like? I don’t have anything other than pjs that I don’t also wear out and about. But I’m very comfortable shopping or picking up kids in active wear. Maybe it’s a CA thing? Are you talking sweats? Or jeans? (Maybe your every day is just fancier than me!!)

It’s the stained, saggy, frayed stuff for some. Some of it is just PJs. I totally wear activewear near daily out and about. But these are not things I’d wear in public.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

bisous
11-19-2019, 07:44 PM
It’s the stained, saggy, frayed stuff for some. Some of it is just PJs. I totally wear activewear near daily out and about. But these are not things I’d wear in public.

Thanks for answering! I suppose it would depend then on how often you feel the need to launder the lounging outfits (each time you wear them? Or do you rewear?) and how often you do laundry. I have a very small space and I can’t go a week without laundry but I don’t have capacity for much more clothing than that.

trales
11-19-2019, 08:54 PM
Awhile ago I got tired of having a wardrobe full of junk or just having too much. So I only have one wardrobe, I wear my work clothes all the time, when they wear out, I replace them. I do wear more long sleeve shirts on weekends, rather than blouses, but I weear the nice boden and banana republic pants all the time, they fit well and are comfy. I do have a pair of jeans.
Right now I have am sitting on the couch watching TV in navy banana republic pants, Lands end blouse and cashmere cardigan from Lord and Taylor. I will put on jammies in a few when I get up again.

basically, I wear my work clothes until its time to change for bed. On sat, I wear jeans, on sunday I wear work clothes to church and then tend to leave them on.

SnuggleBuggles
11-19-2019, 09:31 PM
Awhile ago I got tired of having a wardrobe full of junk or just having too much. So I only have one wardrobe, I wear my work clothes all the time, when they wear out, I replace them. I do wear more long sleeve shirts on weekends, rather than blouses, but I weear the nice boden and banana republic pants all the time, they fit well and are comfy. I do have a pair of jeans.
Right now I have am sitting on the couch watching TV in navy banana republic pants, Lands end blouse and cashmere cardigan from Lord and Taylor. I will put on jammies in a few when I get up again.

basically, I wear my work clothes until its time to change for bed. On sat, I wear jeans, on sunday I wear work clothes to church and then tend to leave them on.

Do you do any cooking or cleaning? That’s primarily why I change. I’m not an apron person If I wore nice clothes when cooking dinner, cleaning up they would be a wreck. [emoji4]

mommy111
11-19-2019, 11:02 PM
How many do I have? A million!
How many do I use? 2 pairs. I find myself wearing the same 2 clothing sets at home all the time, winter or summer. In the winter paired with a zip up hoodie of which I have 3 identical iterations.

Kestrel
11-20-2019, 12:18 AM
One thing - before you get rid of any - I have a set in my car, in case of... well.. kids. I've been puked on, peed on, diaper blow-out, soaked at a soccer game, covered in blood on the way to the ER to get stitches, ect...
I also have two sets sealed up in our emergency kit.

gymnbomb
11-20-2019, 07:29 AM
I have a bunch. What I actually use is 1 pair of sweatpants, 2 pair of yoga pants, and a couple pair of capris that are either yoga pant or light sweatpants type material. I also use my pajama pants as lounge wear. Then I use one of the same regular T-shirt’s that I would wear out of the house going pretty much anywhere but work. I will run to the grocery store or to daycare pickup in the sweats or yoga pants. For other destinations I usually change into jeans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

klwa
11-20-2019, 08:16 AM
I'd look through what you have & think about how frequently you wear each one. I know I have like 2 sweatshirts that get MUCH heavier wear than anything else. So, keep what you actually use and don't keep what you "ought to keep because they're not in THAT bad of shape" because soon enough, you'll have other items falling into that second category!

carolinacool
11-20-2019, 10:43 AM
My lounge stuff consists primarily of Old Navy flag t-shirts and Old Navy PJ pants. I buy a tee every years, so I'm up to about 12 or 13 at this point. I probably have five or six pairs of pants. They tend to wear out after a couple of years. I'm at the point where it feels weird to wear "regular" clothes while I'm just putzing around the house.

AnnieW625
11-20-2019, 11:31 AM
I would get rid of the stuff that is the most worn; maybe save a favorite worn in sweatshirt. Once you have moved in and everything is in it’s place then I would reassess if you have too much stuff.

For me I have two pairs of black drawstring pants that I would consider lounge pants, one pair is from Gap and is 10 years old (I bought them when I was pregnant with Dd2) and another pair I bought last year from Old Navy. The Gap pair doesn’t get worn out of the house as they have a small hole at the ankle and a bleach stain on them, but the Old Navy pair maybe if I am just going to pick up Dd1 from ballet and maybe need something from the store or weighing in at Weight Watchers because they are light weight. I wear them with random t shirts or tank tops until bedtime and then sometimes sleep in them as well, but most nights put on a night gown. For winter I have two pairs of flannel pj pants that I wear with t shirts. Sometimes I will wear my wide leg yoga pants for lounging around at home if I know I might need to go somewhere.

During the week I usually wear my work clothes until dinner has been made and eaten and then I change into my pjs. Sometimes I just want to change as soon as I get home and I do, but I usually have a kid to pick up during the week so that is where the lounge pants come in handy. I just throw on a sweatshirt and or jacket and leave the house in my lounge clothes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

almostmom
11-20-2019, 01:56 PM
Oh my gosh, a lot! It's winter clothes weather now, and when I get home, I take off my work clothes and put on comfy things. I have a few pairs of fleece pj bottoms from old navy, a pair of flannel pj pants a friend gave me, 2-4 pairs of soft loungy pants, 2 pairs of sweats, maybe 6 pairs of comfy leggings, a pair of yoga pants. And the whole left side of my closet shelves has comfy and super soft sweatshirts or super soft sweaters (like chenille) I bought at target or tjmaxx for lounging. Also a couple hoodies, and a few college sweatshirts. Probably 20 things to choose from, and I regularly wear at least 10 of them. I have gotten rid of at least 3 this year, and I hold myself back from buying more when I go shopping because there are so many soft things to buy cheap these days!
I like to be comfy around the house when I'm cooking or lounging, but also I like to look good, in a loungy way. Leggings, big soft chenille sweater with a tank underneath, glass of wine, veggies to chop. That's my ideal night.
I could definitely get rid of some of these things.

SnuggleBuggles
11-20-2019, 04:34 PM
Oh my gosh, a lot! It's winter clothes weather now, and when I get home, I take off my work clothes and put on comfy things. I have a few pairs of fleece pj bottoms from old navy, a pair of flannel pj pants a friend gave me, 2-4 pairs of soft loungy pants, 2 pairs of sweats, maybe 6 pairs of comfy leggings, a pair of yoga pants. And the whole left side of my closet shelves has comfy and super soft sweatshirts or super soft sweaters (like chenille) I bought at target or tjmaxx for lounging. Also a couple hoodies, and a few college sweatshirts. Probably 20 things to choose from, and I regularly wear at least 10 of them. I have gotten rid of at least 3 this year, and I hold myself back from buying more when I go shopping because there are so many soft things to buy cheap these days!
I like to be comfy around the house when I'm cooking or lounging, but also I like to look good, in a loungy way. Leggings, big soft chenille sweater with a tank underneath, glass of wine, veggies to chop. That's my ideal night.
I could definitely get rid of some of these things.

That sounds like me! :) I have pruned my stuff every few months. Guess I'll do another round and then just accept that I am one that likes loungy clothes. :)

trales
11-20-2019, 05:54 PM
Do you do any cooking or cleaning? That’s primarily why I change. I’m not an apron person If I wore nice clothes when cooking dinner, cleaning up they would be a wreck. [emoji4]

I totally wear and apron for all cooking and cleaning up and do all the bathrooms on Sat morning (my jeans day)! I also wear an apron at work about half the day - I am a chemistry professor, I don't want to get little acid holes in all my clothes. So, I am used to wearing an apron and kind of keeping the splash down.

jent
11-20-2019, 11:15 PM
Yep, I change into lounge clothes every day. Lately I've been changing right into PJ's because I realize it's only a few hours until bedtime, why change twice? I have 4 sets of PJs, 2 are favorites and 1 almost never gets worn unless there is a laundry crisis.

I used to have a tiny master BR with tiny closet space, so I had to keep it pared down. I have 2 pairs yoga/jogging pants that are exclusively for lounging. My "lounge" tops are the same as my non-work, non-dressy tops so I have more of these. But maybe 5 are true loungewear? If I was paring down, and they served no other purpose, I think I'd keep 3-4.

Sweatshirts and fleece: I try to keep to 1 of each "type". Like 1 cotton hoodie, 1 fleece hoodie, 1 fleece vest, etc. I admit I have more now, mainly bc our new house has a new closet and I keep getting free/gift/logo stuff.

dogmom
11-21-2019, 02:11 PM
There are other kinds of clothes besides “date/party outfit”? My guess is my everyday clothes are lounge and my PJs are my lounging.
-woman who wears pajamas (scrubs) to work.

smilequeen
11-21-2019, 06:53 PM
I have a ton. I change into comfy clothes at home pretty much all the time. Leggings, yoga pants, sweatshirts, etc. in the winter. I have a few things I wouldn't wear out of the house because they look like PJs to me (cashmere sweatpants and barefoot dreams pants) but in general, if I wouldn't wear it to Target or the Grocery store, I'd get rid of it. I have a weird thing about my summer loungewear though (usually gym shorts and a t-shirt). They are nice enough to wear out of the house, but I just don't for some reason.

SnuggleBuggles
11-21-2019, 07:11 PM
I think my big thing too is the removing of the bra at first possible chance. [emoji6] Not leaving the house like that so lounge clothes is a one way process. [emoji4]

baymom
11-22-2019, 01:52 PM
Way, way too many! I change as soon as I get home from work, to cook/walk the dog/drive the kids to activities. I look forward to changing after work! But, since I don’t wear those clothes for too many hours, I often re-wear multiple days before washing. I change to PJs after showering, in the winter sometimes that’s as early as 8pm. Therefore, there is no reason to hold onto as much as I have. Your post is inspiring me cut back!

ETA: I’m referring to clothes that I’d still feel comfortable going to Costco or Trader Joe’s in. If it wasn’t in decent enough shape for that, I get rid of it. Our town is somewhat small and it’s difficult to not run into someone you know.

basil
11-22-2019, 02:03 PM
I change into athleisure as soon as I get home. Usually leggings, a shelf bra camisole, and a seasonally appropriate top. Then I wear that as pajamas. Then I exercise in that first thing in the AM then put it in the laundry. So I have quite a few leggings/athleisure tops because they serve a lot of different purposes.

I also have work clothes and jeans and more casual tops for weekend, but I don’t really have anything in between regular clothes and athleisure/exercise clothes/pajamas.