PDA

View Full Version : Need a new vacuum - Black Friday deals?

ang79
11-19-2019, 09:57 AM
Our Dyson does not seem to be picking up as much dirt as it should these days. Checking out Black Friday sales I see a Shark Navigator DLX on sale at both Kohls and Target for $85. I have carpet and vinyl flooring and 3 cats. Would this be a good fit for us or should I keep looking? Let me know if you've seen any other deals! I do not have a Costco membership, but do have a BJ's membership and my mom has a Sam's Club membership.

twowhat?
11-19-2019, 11:16 AM
Following, but I really want a cordless Dyson v11 torque drive hahahaha so expensive.

Our Dyson is probably about 13 years old and the hose connections are definitely not as tight, which impacts suction. But, I can get it to be still decent by making sure all the hoses and rollers are clean (no clogs), and changing/washing all of the filters, and even washing the dust bin - SO MUCH STUFF comes out of that if you can get a good kitchen hose into all the nooks and crannies.

AnnieW625
11-19-2019, 11:20 AM
Our Dyson is 12 years old and it still works okay. Have you washed the filter, and cleaned the bottom brush? Anytime ours starts not sucking we do that and it works again. I don’t expect it to last forever but we have been happy with it and I would consider another one if the price was right.

My parents got a Shark Navigator based on the raves from people here (cause I told them about it) and are happy with it. They only use it on their carpet and have no animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngB
11-19-2019, 12:08 PM
Our Dyson does not seem to be picking up as much dirt as it should these days. Checking out Black Friday sales I see a Shark Navigator DLX on sale at both Kohls and Target for $85. I have carpet and vinyl flooring and 3 cats. Would this be a good fit for us or should I keep looking? Let me know if you've seen any other deals! I do not have a Costco membership, but do have a BJ's membership and my mom has a Sam's Club membership.

Make sure you take your Dyson apart and put it back together. So many pieces something can get caught and blocked. Mine is 13 years old and still going strong even after years of vacumming up husky hair, etc.

I got a shark with Prime days sales. I like it better than the dyson on carpet but it has been terrible on our luxury vinyl plank floors. My mom hates it as well. (She babysits for me and sometimes vacuums and even commented the new vacuum is a lot worse than my old Dyson.) I have this model: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X7R1FZ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

JBaxter
11-19-2019, 01:53 PM
I think the Shark Duo Clean is better on hard floors. I have a professional rotator lift away but the hose has a hard floor attachment the attachment head is great for hard floors ( I have mostly tile) but I done use the vac itself on the hard floor. I cant justify getting a new one yet but the duo clean is on my wish list.

twowhat?
11-28-2019, 11:52 AM
Well, so our Dyson finally bit the dust after 13 years yesterday. The motor and everything works perfectly, but part of the hose developed a hole and it's in a place where I can't see it would be easily replaced (between the motorhead and the ball). So I had to run out and grab a new vacuum since the house was a disaster and I wanted it clean for Thanksgiving. Since Target had the Shark Navigator lift-away deluxe on sale, and since it's the Wirecutter best pick, that's what I grabbed. Not on sale at Target anymore but it still is on Amazon for $129:

https://www.amazon.com/Shark-Navigator-Professional-Anti-Allergy-NV360/dp/B00JH98GR4/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=NV360&qid=1574957215&sr=8-2

Pros: SO much cheaper. SO much suction. I am probably unfairly comparing it to a 13yo Dyson that has probably lost suction over time but this thing picked up stuff that had been in our carpet for years. It was a lot more work to vacuum because it takes a lot more energy to push it since the suction is so strong. But I need the exercise. Plenty of suction with the brush off for hard floors - did a really good job on crumbled up fall leaves tracked inside which the Dyson has always struggled with.

Cons: Feels cheap, definitely don't think it'll last 13 years. Doesn't steer anywhere near as well as our old Dyson Animal Ball. The handle is REALLY TALL (and I'm not short). The silly switch toggle between power off/brush off/brush on is pretty dumb (all 3 options in ONE switch? It was hard to select accurately between the 3 functions). The motorhead doesn't adjust in height, so on our shag rug it was really hard to push and the thickness of the rug forced the vacuum to turn the brush off a couple of times. The head doesn't fit under the kickspace at the bottom of kitchen/bathroom cabinets which was really annoying since that's where crumbs hide. It feels heavier because the canister sits higher up. The suction is so strong I had to turn the brush off on many of our thinner rugs. There's a suction adjustment that is mechanical, but even with it adjusted to the lowest possible setting it's still too strong for thin rugs, so I have had to vacuum those rugs with the brush off which is kind of a bummer since the brush is what loosens stuck-on dirt. And finally, you have to use your foot to get the vacuum out of its upright position, and it also locks into that upright position way too easily which is a pain when you are vacuuming in tight spaces. The Dyson took just a simple pull to get it out of the upright position, and an even stronger push to put it back into the upright position for storage, all that can be done with one hand.

So...you get what you pay for, I'm sure! The Shark probably won't last as long and isn't as cleverly designed, ergonomically and functionally, but it cleans amazingly well and costs a fraction of what a Dyson would cost. I would recommend it over the Dyson if you have a combo of hard floors and wall-to-wall carpeting. It's more of a pain on rugs...but hopefully I'm getting a cordless Dyson for Christmas to fill the gaps :) Happy Thanksgiving!!!

ang79
11-28-2019, 12:37 PM
Well, so our Dyson finally bit the dust after 13 years yesterday. The motor and everything works perfectly, but part of the hose developed a hole and it's in a place where I can't see it would be easily replaced (between the motorhead and the ball). So I had to run out and grab a new vacuum since the house was a disaster and I wanted it clean for Thanksgiving. Since Target had the Shark Navigator lift-away deluxe on sale, and since it's the Wirecutter best pick, that's what I grabbed. Not on sale at Target anymore but it still is on Amazon for $129:

https://www.amazon.com/Shark-Navigator-Professional-Anti-Allergy-NV360/dp/B00JH98GR4/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=NV360&qid=1574957215&sr=8-2

Pros: SO much cheaper. SO much suction. I am probably unfairly comparing it to a 13yo Dyson that has probably lost suction over time but this thing picked up stuff that had been in our carpet for years. It was a lot more work to vacuum because it takes a lot more energy to push it since the suction is so strong. But I need the exercise. Plenty of suction with the brush off for hard floors - did a really good job on crumbled up fall leaves tracked inside which the Dyson has always struggled with.

Cons: Feels cheap, definitely don't think it'll last 13 years. Doesn't steer anywhere near as well as our old Dyson Animal Ball. The handle is REALLY TALL (and I'm not short). The silly switch toggle between power off/brush off/brush on is pretty dumb (all 3 options in ONE switch? It was hard to select accurately between the 3 functions). The motorhead doesn't adjust in height, so on our shag rug it was really hard to push and the thickness of the rug forced the vacuum to turn the brush off a couple of times. The head doesn't fit under the kickspace at the bottom of kitchen/bathroom cabinets which was really annoying since that's where crumbs hide. It feels heavier because the canister sits higher up. The suction is so strong I had to turn the brush off on many of our thinner rugs. There's a suction adjustment that is mechanical, but even with it adjusted to the lowest possible setting it's still too strong for thin rugs, so I have had to vacuum those rugs with the brush off which is kind of a bummer since the brush is what loosens stuck-on dirt. And finally, you have to use your foot to get the vacuum out of its upright position, and it also locks into that upright position way too easily which is a pain when you are vacuuming in tight spaces. The Dyson took just a simple pull to get it out of the upright position, and an even stronger push to put it back into the upright position for storage, all that can be done with one hand.

So...you get what you pay for, I'm sure! The Shark probably won't last as long and isn't as cleverly designed, ergonomically and functionally, but it cleans amazingly well and costs a fraction of what a Dyson would cost. I would recommend it over the Dyson if you have a combo of hard floors and wall-to-wall carpeting. It's more of a pain on rugs...but hopefully I'm getting a cordless Dyson for Christmas to fill the gaps :) Happy Thanksgiving!!!

I looked at that one, but ended up with the Shark Rotator Professional Liftaway from Kohls ($128 plus $15 KC and another $5 KC for picking up in store). Haven't tried it out yet though.