PDA

View Full Version : Another dryer (LG) question-how long does it take for you to dry a full/large load?

MMMommy
11-20-2019, 06:10 PM
So we just bought a brand new set from Costco.com. It is this LG set front loader set--

https://www.costco.com/lg-4.5cuft-front-load-washer-and-7.4cuft-electric-dryer-with-wifi-capability-with-optional-pedestals.product.100430236.html

My prior set was an Electrolux front loader set. I pretty much dried a full/big load on manual high heat (not sensor) for about 1 hr and 15 minutes with that dryer. I didn't use sensor drying with my Electrolux set.

I am new to the LG dryer, but on the "sensor" normal (medium-high heat), it shows it as 57 minutes when I start the dryer. The load isn't usually dry (still damp) when it ends on this sensor mode. I usually have to tack on another 30 minutes on manual/high heat, and it's totally dry after that. This set is brand new, and we have had it for two weeks. I'm also thinking of having our ducts cleaned by a professional, if that may help.

What is typical for LG full/big load sensor drying time? I really don't have any basis for comparison, since it's a different brand and bc I'm trying out this sensor dry.

Thanks for any input!

twowhat?
11-20-2019, 06:23 PM
We have a similar LG machine. I set it to "Delicates" on the sensor setting (it's low heat) and it shows a time of 37 min (i think) and though I've never timed it, it seems about right. The load is mostly dry when the "done" music chimes.

I would time your dryer - I think it shows 57 minutes to begin with but actual time varies based on the size/wetness of the load and it may be that your dryer is stopping after an actual 32 minutes. Also check your dry levels - I think there's an option for "less dry" and "more dry", and you might have it set to "less dry" which means sensor drying will stop when a load is still a little damp. For a big load, I would expect it to be totally dry after an hour on med-high heat, unless it's something really thick like bath mats.

Definitely check your dryer duct.

georgiegirl
11-20-2019, 06:24 PM
Turn off energy savings mode. We moved a few months ago and have LG in the new house (Electrolux in old house) and had this same problem until I turned off the energy savings mode. Now it takes about an hour.

MMMommy
11-20-2019, 06:31 PM
Thank you for your replies. My worst fear is worrying that the dryer itself is faulty and that I need to return it, get another set, etc. And then watch that new set be exactly the same, and this is all normal. I would not want to have to resort to exchanging, returning, etc. It was bad enough not having the laundry set for a couple of weeks! First world problems, I know. I will check out the settings and see. Thank you!

FWIW, the dry setting is "normal" and not "less" dry.

Keep the opinions and input coming! I welcome all feedback!

Philly Mom
11-20-2019, 06:33 PM
I find that I need to "move" the knob over one even though it stays on normal. I then push "more" dry and things come out perfectly. Hard to explain.

SnuggleBuggles
11-20-2019, 06:59 PM
Are you more concerned with amount of time or that it’s just not awesome in sensing mode? I’ve always had to add manual time to mine so I don’t worry. That 2nd start time is when I start my washing machine and then the timing matches great.

ETA- after reading lots of reviews, we opted to buy Samsung vs LG. Could be that it just isn’t a great appliance but I’m sure it’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Tenasparkl
11-20-2019, 08:18 PM
I find that I need to "move" the knob over one even though it stays on normal. I then push "more" dry and things come out perfectly. Hard to explain.

This is what I do too. I think that adds ten minutes

lil_acorn
11-20-2019, 08:30 PM
I would also suggest wool dryer balls

They do help reduce dry time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MMMommy
11-20-2019, 08:35 PM
Are you more concerned with amount of time or that it’s just not awesome in sensing mode? I’ve always had to add manual time to mine so I don’t worry. That 2nd start time is when I start my washing machine and then the timing matches great.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

I think I am concerned with both. I just don't want a "dud" where an identical machine performs better. But I would never know really.

I would also suggest wool dryer balls

They do help reduce dry time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 7 wool dryer balls in the dryer already.

On a side note, for those that use HE liquid Tide detergent, which scent do you like the most? Original, Clean Breeze, other?

Thanks!

mom2binsd
11-20-2019, 10:21 PM
About 40 min, regular dryer, I use bounce sheets (don't judge), the dryer balls are too loud.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mommy111
11-20-2019, 10:54 PM
About 40 min, regular dryer, I use bounce sheets (don't judge), the dryer balls are too loud.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Count me as hating dryer balls, they ruin clothes
Ours take 50-60 mins to dry

wencit
11-20-2019, 11:05 PM
A few months ago, I was having problems with my dryer not fully drying on sensor mode. I had a repairman come out, and he mentioned that some people throw items of different thicknesses in the dryer and expect everything to come out fully dry (i.e. jeans with t-shirts). He said sometimes the dryer will stop when it senses the lightest items are dry, leaving the heavier ones still damp. He suggested I make sure to dry like items together to see if it makes a difference.

It turns out my problem was caused by vents hasn’t been fully cleaned by the previous company I hired, so that solved my issues. I would definitely hire someone to do that, and make sure they fully clean both ends of the pipe (previous company only cleaned one end, grrrr).

klwa
11-21-2019, 08:32 AM
It turns out my problem was caused by vents hasn’t been fully cleaned by the previous company I hired, so that solved my issues. I would definitely hire someone to do that, and make sure they fully clean both ends of the pipe (previous company only cleaned one end, grrrr).

This can be a huge one. Our new dryer kept giving us an error message and not completing the drying cycle. Turned out, DH didn't ACTUALLY clean the vent pipe when he installed the new dryer. Once he cleaned it, no more error message, and the cycle finishes every time.

Mommy_Mea
11-21-2019, 08:36 AM
I definitely find this to be true. I pull out the dry items when the dryer first stops, and then start it again.

We have an Electrolux, and there are just certain items that I can't use the sensor dry for (like a heavy blanket). I either use the time dry out just hang it to finish drying.
A few months ago, I was having problems with my dryer not fully drying on sensor mode. I had a repairman come out, and he mentioned that some people throw items of different thicknesses in the dryer and expect everything to come out fully dry (i.e. jeans with t-shirts). He said sometimes the dryer will stop when it senses the lightest items are dry, leaving the heavier ones still damp. He suggested I make sure to dry like items together to see if it makes a difference.

twowhat?
11-21-2019, 09:58 AM

Yes!!!! This is a great point. I sort laundry so that I wash similar items together because it helps to decrease wear on your clothes, in addition to them drying at about the same time so that you aren't overdrying some items (overdrying decreases the wear life of your clothes). E.g. I wash kids' knits (tees, jersey shorts, knit leggings) together. Jeans always go into a separate load. I do my pants separately because they tend to be Athleta street tight-type of pants. DH on the other hand tosses his jeans in with his tees and I'm sure his tees get wrecked a lot sooner because of that (and it's also the reason he's not allowed to do my laundry).

The other thing I try to do is to use shorter cycles if there are synthetics in the load, like dri-fit tees. I set those loads to "less dry" and then take out the synthetics at the end of the cycle and then start it again to finish the cottons. The synthetics generate all sorts of static if they are overdried, which then makes multiple things stick together in the dryer and probably increases drying time.

I do use wool balls too and in my experience they're especially helpful for towels (helps get them fluffy) but not so much for just regular clothes.

erv917
11-22-2019, 02:09 PM
On a side note, for those that use HE liquid Tide detergent, which scent do you like the most? Original, Clean Breeze, other?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I'm partial to no scent left on the clothes and I really like Tide Free and Gentle Ultra Stain Release. The Wirecutter (NY Times review site) picked it as their best detergent and it really is great, better than other versions of Tide Free and Gentle (which are also above average!). It's only sold at Target.

MMMommy
11-24-2019, 09:48 PM
Turn off energy savings mode. We moved a few months ago and have LG in the new house (Electrolux in old house) and had this same problem until I turned off the energy savings mode. Now it takes about an hour.

This did the trick! My load actually dried in 41 minutes sensor with energy saver mode turned off. It doesn't seem like I can turn this energy saver mode off by default though. I wish I could program it to have this off, but so far it seems like I need to manually turn the energy saver mode off each time I dry. Thank you!

georgiegirl
11-24-2019, 10:16 PM
This did the trick! My load actually dried in 41 minutes sensor with energy saver mode turned off. It doesn't seem like I can turn this energy saver mode off by default though. I wish I could program it to have this off, but so far it seems like I need to manually turn the energy saver mode off each time I dry. Thank you!

Glad it worked! Yep, we have to do it manually as well (just pushing an extra button.).