PDA

View Full Version : North shore of Kauai

sf333
11-20-2019, 09:00 PM
Has anyone been to Kauai this year? We are visiting in December and staying in a house in Haena. I’m a little nervous about the driving situation up there (there are certain destinations that require a shuttle).

If you have experienced this, did you find that the shuttles get reserved quickly and therefore, necessitate reservations made far in advance? Also, the driving ban doesn’t apply to Hanalei, right? I’m trying to figure out how much this will impact us as we will spend the majority of our trip on the north shore.

citymama
11-23-2019, 01:34 AM
Haena is one of my most favorite places on the planet. It's magical. I didn't even know they were allowing non-residents to stay there given that the road is still closed. Yes, you can drive up to Hanalei without a problem, and from there on you will need a shuttle. I am so jealous because year-round residents in Haena have said that the monk seals and fish life are incredible, having had a year and a half without tourism and the chance to recover. The Kalalau trail is phenomenal. We also love Limahuli Gardens, and the Kilauea lighthouse. Make sure to stock up on groceries and supplies when you arrive (Costco not far from the airport and larger grocery stores in Kapa'a), and know that there's a smaller grocery store you can go to in Hanalei as well. Enjoy!

ahisma
11-23-2019, 07:11 PM
The north shore of Kauai is amazing. The road opened this past spring, following a flood closure (we were just there this past August). You can go to the end of the road if you get a pass. Don't plan on snorkeling up there in December though, you'll need to drive to the south / west side for calm waters in the winter. If you want to go to Ke'e beach / Haena State Park, you'll need a permit. I think they go on sale 6 weeks out, so check ASAP - they go super fast...but maybe not so much in the winter. You can also take the shuttle bus, but you need those passes in advance too.

ETA: The shuttle is only to go to the end of the road, but the state park, trailhead for the Kalalau trail, etc. You won't need the shuttle other than for that. Depending on where you are in Hanea, it may be realistic to walk even.

sf333
11-26-2019, 10:44 AM
Haena is one of my most favorite places on the planet. It's magical. I didn't even know they were allowing non-residents to stay there given that the road is still closed. Yes, you can drive up to Hanalei without a problem, and from there on you will need a shuttle. I am so jealous because year-round residents in Haena have said that the monk seals and fish life are incredible, having had a year and a half without tourism and the chance to recover. The Kalalau trail is phenomenal. We also love Limahuli Gardens, and the Kilauea lighthouse. Make sure to stock up on groceries and supplies when you arrive (Costco not far from the airport and larger grocery stores in Kapa'a), and know that there's a smaller grocery store you can go to in Hanalei as well. Enjoy!

I agree, Haena is magical! My husband and I were married in Kauai over a decade ago and I fell in love with the north shore. This will be our first trip back. We've already planned to stop at Costco after arriving. It's going to be very different visiting Kauai with children. Do you have any recommendations for easy hikes with kids?

sf333
11-26-2019, 10:47 AM
The north shore of Kauai is amazing. The road opened this past spring, following a flood closure (we were just there this past August). You can go to the end of the road if you get a pass. Don't plan on snorkeling up there in December though, you'll need to drive to the south / west side for calm waters in the winter. If you want to go to Ke'e beach / Haena State Park, you'll need a permit. I think they go on sale 6 weeks out, so check ASAP - they go super fast...but maybe not so much in the winter. You can also take the shuttle bus, but you need those passes in advance too.

ETA: The shuttle is only to go to the end of the road, but the state park, trailhead for the Kalalau trail, etc. You won't need the shuttle other than for that. Depending on where you are in Hanea, it may be realistic to walk even.

Thank you! I'm happy that we are able to visit the north shore - I wasn't sure that would be a possibility because of the flooding. The house that we are renting had to be completely renovated because of flood damage. Do you have any recommendations of inexpensive activities to do with kids? My husband and I visited over a decade ago but this will be our first trip there with kids.

citymama
11-28-2019, 05:51 PM
I agree, Haena is magical! My husband and I were married in Kauai over a decade ago and I fell in love with the north shore. This will be our first trip back. We've already planned to stop at Costco after arriving. It's going to be very different visiting Kauai with children. Do you have any recommendations for easy hikes with kids?

Yes, the walk to Kilauea lighthouse is wonderful. We took our kids on the first mile of Kalalau at about 5 and 9 I think. Limahuli Gardens has wonderful walking trails. On the south, the walk to the Waimea Canyon lookout is amazing.

sf333
11-29-2019, 06:34 PM
Yes, the walk to Kilauea lighthouse is wonderful. We took our kids on the first mile of Kalalau at about 5 and 9 I think. Limahuli Gardens has wonderful walking trails. On the south, the walk to the Waimea Canyon lookout is amazing.

Thank you!